• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

@liuzhou,

So sorry to hear you are under the weather. I'm sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery and hopefully you can get out of there before the bad food can have much effect. I'm glad to hear the nursing staff is kind and competent. Hospital food mostly sucks around here too. At least you found the microwave. I am nearly obsessive about my hot foods being served steaming hot.

@David Ross,

Ouch! I hope you get better soon too.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

@liuzhou, I'll add my best wishes and hope you don't lose any of your spirit or sense of humour! Even though it's really interesting to see the inside details, I still hope your stay is short! 

@David Ross, sorry to hear about the knee replacement but hope you are healing well. A relative had a knee replacement not long ago and she might have been better off with a rehab stay after the initial hospital stay/surgery. She didn't work the knee very well at home on her own and it caused problems. Your rehab stay likely made sure that didn't happen to you! I hope you are getting around OK now. 

• Like 1

When I was in the Air Force I was hospitalized when I came down with mono, only hospitalized to keep me isolated from other people in my squadron. Boring week if ever there was one.

While in the hospital I kept filling out the daily menu request but wasn't getting what I asked for. I finally asked a nurse why and he told me that I was on a doctor-prescribed diet while in the hospital. Disappointing since my throat had been so swollen that I had been living on nothing but milk before I was diagnosed.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

07:20 Breakfast.

Rice noodles with pork, beans, wood ear fungus, chives. Hot but unseasoned as usual.

20170624_072629.thumb.jpg.0d1d75ad875dcec060324ffd73fea2e0.jpg

These weren't bad. Just needed some salt or soy sauce. 

I was half way through them when a panic striken nurse rushed in and tried to confiscate them. It seems I was scheduled for some tests which have to be done on an empty stomach. They forgot to tell me.

Too late so the tests have been postponed until tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I was half way through them when a panic strike nurse rushed in and tried to confiscate them. It seems.I was scheduled for some tests which have to done on an empty stomach. They forgot to tell me.

Too late so the test have been postponed until tomorrow.

So I can almost guarantee that tomorrow morning they will bring the most delicious-looking and wonderfully seasoned food just when you CANNOT eat at all. They will take it away and then at lunch, you'll be back to the same old gruel. Ha.   xD

At least, that's the type of thing that always happens in my little corner of the universe. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

07:20 Breakfast.

Rice noodles with pork, beans, wood ear fungus,,chives. Hot but unseasoned as usual.

20170624_072629.thumb.jpg.0d1d75ad875dcec060324ffd73fea2e0.jpg

I was half way through them when a panic strike nurse rushed in and tried to confiscate them. It seems.I was scheduled for some tests which have to done on an empty stomach. They forgot to tell me.

Too late so the test have been postponed until tomorrow.

I can't even begin to hit the like button on this because their mistake only prolongs your stay in that hellspital...I mean hospital..

• Like 2

@liuzhou so sorry to hear that you aren't doing well but I appreciate a look into the VIP wing of a Chinese hospital. Maybe you can get a photo of a standard hospital room on your way out? Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Like 2

Perhaps the friends who bring you fruit could bring some little containers of seasoning liquids and powders as well. Things are never as good seasoned after the fact - but it might make it a bit more palatable.

Most of our hospitals have closed their kitchens and gone over to airline food - except the one I'm working in right this minute. The call room is across from the kitchen - I can hear the dishes clinking and smell the wonderful smells coming from it. It's a rare institution these days!

• Like 6

The last couple of days have been something of a blur. They keep testing for whatever might be the latest richly funded research topic, in the hope that it's lurking in my foreign body.

So taking pictures of meals has preserved memories which might otherwise have been forgotten, but are now shared world-wide.

Here are a couple.

20170624_171919.thumb.jpg.088457a1d6d921404ab3c5da7cad8c30.jpg

This was pork with green beans. It could easily have been the best so far if they had just seasoned it.

20170625_121854.thumb.jpg.2438ba235019e6f7517759b4467ed0d9.jpg

Ribs. Wow. They taste like food (albeit unseasoned food.

I have arranged for some basic condiments to be smuggled in.

Every meal so far has been accompanied by the same kale-like greenery. The "regularity" of discharged patients must be formidable.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

..... It is sad when the nicest thing you tasted all week came from a medicine bottle.

And I bet it wasn't medicinal scotch.  Get well. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There are some types of food that only ever seem to be served in hospitals. In Japan I swear it is miso soup with bean sprouts AND cabbage AND onion AND sometimes slivers of fried tofu...and a lot less miso than usual. What's the equivalent in China?

A Chinese friend having a baby was moved to take the baby and run out of hospital earl,y because her mother in law would arrive every morning with the daily quota of TEN hard-boiled eggs...

Hope you will soon be on the run too!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, helenjp said:

A Chinese friend having a baby was moved to take the baby and run out of hospital earl,y because her mother in law would arrive every morning with the daily quota of TEN hard-boiled eggs...

???  Why ten hard boiled eggs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

And I bet it wasn't medicinal scotch.  Get well. 

I don't remember the local off-licence offering this brand of Scotch when I lived in Scotland, although that was in the middle of last century.

20170625_224722.thumb.jpg.ab011b391a81a6e752d9c8f205715ed9.jpg

Actually, it's cough syrup dispensed to alleviate the symptoms of a condition I didn't have when I came here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Actually, it's cough syrup dispensed to alleviate the symptoms of a condition I didn't have when I came here.

Ah yes -- iatrogenic illness knows no borders. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

???  Why ten hard boiled eggs?

Very traditional. Eggs are a pretty much universal symbol for new life but I forget why it is 10 eggs at a time.

I will try to get back to you on that.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

Well I had pre-stocked my pantry knowing that someday I'd get out of the rehab facility food jail.  This is the first thing I went for when I got home.

IMG_2085.JPG

• Like 2