• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Perhaps bizarrely, I find myself in the local Traditional Chinese Medicine hospital. This Is not so desperate as it may seem.

In fact, the hospital offers both TCM and western thought and diagnostics etc. They mix and match, usually leaving the choice up to me.

The food situation has fallen apart. The first couple of meals were passable. The third inedible.

The problem is that the person charged with bringing me meals is at least one dish  short of a banquet. She asks me what I would like, then in response to my suggestions gives me a long list of 'don't have; don't have. I am requesting only the most common dishes. My request that instead of telling what they don't have, it might help if she told me what they DO have just baffled her.

On Saturday evening, I suggested 青椒肉片 which is a simple pork and green chili stir fried staple. 'Don't have!'  I said that they must have some kind of dish with pork and vegetables served with rice. Yes!

She returned with this

IMG_20220912_171938.thumb.jpg.79c9fd5b6382051f946cfe1a967d5b2e.jpg

Well, I suppose it technically meets the description. A dry, bland puck of chopped pork. Some fried greens devoid of the usual garlic, ginger etc. Overcooked low quality rice. No sauce of any kind.

Sunday evening after a long day of tests and pain, I didn't eat anything other than a bowl of soup.

Monday evening, I gave up and said 'anything'. Big mistake. This arrived. 

IMG_20220912_171932.thumb.jpg.15a0b96c8a5a7d03ccf7898635d4eb4a.jpg

I immediately lost it and asked the woman if she was crazy. 'I DON'T EAT THE SAME DOG FOOD EVERY DAY!'

She scuttled off. God know what will happen today. 

liuzhou

liuzhou

Perhaps bizarrely, I find myself in the local Traditional Chinese Medicine hospital. This Is not so desperate as it may seem.

In fact, the hospital offers both TCM and western thought and diagnostics etc. They mix and match, usually leaving the choice up to me.

The food situation has fallen apart. The first couple of meals were passable. The third inedible.

The problem is that the person charged with bringing me meals is at least one dish  short of a banquet. She asks me what I would like, then in response to my suggestions gives me a long list of 'don't have; don't have. I am requesting only the most common dishes. My request that instead of telling what they don't have, it might help if she told me what they DO have just baffled her.

On Saturday evening, I suggested 青椒肉片 which is a simple pork and green chili stir fried staple. 'Don't have!'  I said that they must have some kind of dish with pork and vegetables served with rice. Yes!

She returned with this

IMG_20220912_171938.thumb.jpg.79c9fd5b6382051f946cfe1a967d5b2e.jpg

Well, I suppose it technically meets the description. A dry, bland puck of chopped pork. Some fried greens devoid of the usual garlic, ginger etc. Overcooked low quality rice. N Theo sauce of any kind.

Sunday evening after a long day of tests and pain, I didn't eat anything other than a bowl of soup.

IMG_20220912_171932.thumb.jpg.15a0b96c8a5a7d03ccf7898635d4eb4a.jpg

I immediately lost it and asked the woman if she was crazy. 'I DON'T EAT THE SAME DOG FOOD EVERY DAY!'

liuzhou

liuzhou

The problem is that the person charged with bringing me meals is at least one dish  short of a banquet. She asks me what I would like, then in response to my suggestions gives me a long list of 'don't have; don't have. I am request only the most common dishes. My request that instead of telling what they don't have, it might help if she told me what they DO have just baffled her.

She returned with this

i

Well, I suppose it technically meets the description. A dry, bland puck of chopped pork. Some fried greens devoid of the usual garlic, ginger etc. Overcooked low quality rice. NnIMG_20220912_171932.thumb.jpg.c91c143d78fe75e47d9901ddff6437f1.jpgo sauce of any kind.

IMG_20220912_171932.thumb.jpg.c91c143d78fe75e47d9901ddff6437f1.jpg

IMG_20220912_171938.jpg