• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco membership

lindag

Quoting from Larry Olmsted, Real Food, Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating & What You Can Do About It, p.79:  "While it is easy to make fun of retailers like Walmart, Costco and BJ's, these quantity-focused companies have enormous leverage over producers and suppliers, whom they often force to adhere to higher standards. "  This quote comes from the section on fish, but is expanded to say that industry experts say that these "big-box stores" are more to be trusted than regular groceries stores.  Olmsted also speaks favorably of Trader Joe's and Whole Food in this capacity.

Interesting book. 

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you use a giftcard, even if it only has 10.00 loaded on it, and you go checkout with 100.00 worth of stuff, the giftcard gets slid first, then the remaining 90.00 can be paid by check, cash, card, or even EBT card if you have that. A friend of mine didnt want a membership so when I go I reload a couple bucks on hers and that way she can go when she wants. I spend about 300.00 a month there for the two of us.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dscheidt said:

the pharmacy is open to all comers.  there's a federal law or regulation that requires that. 

just had this conversation with one of my employees, her aunt gets a med from Costco because it was the cheapest source (she needs to get a name brand, not generic, of something). She said you can go on their website and look up the cost of your medicines to compare.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rotuts said:

if you are a Costco shopper :

do they cary sub-primals of beef ?   

perhaps Prime ?

perhaps Chuck Roll ?

thanks

I have seen subprimal of strip loin, tenderloin, rib  but I don't believe I've ever seen a subprimal from the front quarter in our Coscos.  I have bought the tenderloin and the strip loin at some point. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog