• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chuck Eye Steaks - Finding Them

Porthos

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

He basically said a Chuck Eye is essentially the end part of a Rib Eye.  He said preparation methods should be the same as a Rib Eye.  Loved the fact that it was 1/3 of the price of the 6 week Rib Eye I bought as well.  Going to do a side by side comparison and will report back.

There's a difference, in that the muscles in the chuck section work harder than the ones farther back, even if they're a continuation of the same group. This makes them heavier in collagen and so naturally less tender. The chuck eye is closer to a tender cut than some other parts of the chuck, but it's not something you'll likely mistake for ribeye if the two are cooked similarly. Meat on the 5th rib might come close.

Notes from the underbelly

It's really difficult for me to directly compare.  Primarily because I think of a ribeye as two completely different cuts that come joined together.  The deckle/cap/callotte has a completely different nature than the other part that I call 'the eye'.  To me, the eye is like an inferior filet, or  more like sirloin, or Manhattan steak (basically a New York strip cut in half and trimmed of fat).  They need totally different cooking in a traditional sense and in a perfect world, I would always buy a ribeye roast, cut the eye out, and roll up the cap to cut steaks out of.

The chuckeye shares more character with the deckle/callotte/cap than with the eye.  My traditional way of cooking both is to pan sear each side at a really high heat and then turn the heat down to almost off for and extended period - maybe 15-20 minutes (during which time I'm adding butter, garlic and mushrooms).  With a ribeye, this results in OMG deckle and overcooked eye.  With a chuckeye, the flavor of the deckle is there, but it hasn't broken down as much so there's some stringiness.  But, for the price, quite acceptable.

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

... chuck eye steaks ...They will go for 10 hours at 56 C. It will be interesting to see how they come out compared to my typical 4 hours.

Noticeably more tender. When, sometime in the future, I SV some chuck eyes again I will schedule them so they can go 24 hours.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 7/4/2017 at 4:42 PM, TicTac said:

ElsieD - Truth be told I have only been to the Bayview location as I am coming from Thornhill.  I have heard that other locations have more prepared food options, but my guess is the meat selection is fairly similar. 

They do sell heritage pork.  The $11PP was for the Chuck Eye.  If you have specific request I would suggest calling ahead - i.e. if you want an 8 week aged steak, call ahead.  I often have them vac pack lots of meat for me and call ahead as otherwise I would be waiting there 20-30 minutes easily - and that is never a good recipe as I just end up browsing and buying far more than what I had intended!

Edit - If you are going, I would also highly recommend the churned salted butter from Quebec that they sell - get that, then go down the street (if you go to the Bayview location) to Rahier and buy a few baguettes (and perhaps some dessert for later on) and thank me later :P

Went to the Bayview location on my way home Sunday.  Bought, among other things,  Berkshire pork chops and dry aged rib steaks.  What a great place!  Glad I don't live near there or I'd be broke.  Well fed, but broke.  I couldn't buy everything i wanted as I had limited room in my cooler as I had already made yogurt (sheep's milk) and cheese stops.  One of the cheeses I bought was a 13 year old cheddar i bought at  the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market.  I don't recall ever having seen a cheddar aged that long.  Did not see the butter - next time.

• Like 3

Picked up a 6 week Deckle End Rib Eye and a Chuck Eye (no specified age) steak which one of the butchers kindly cut to order for me.

Shockingly enough the price was 1/3 of the Rib Eye.  The Aged Rib Eye had gorgeous marbling, the Chuck Eye minimal to none. 

Equally amazing was how the Chuck Eye nearly rivaled the Rib Eye surely in tenderness (cooked the same way as the RE - turned every 2 minutes over coals) though not AS flavourful (has to be the age variable).

Thank you for turning me on to this cut.

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Went to the Bayview location on my way home Sunday.  Bought, among other things,  Berkshire pork chops and dry aged rib steaks.  What a great place!  Glad I don't live near there or I'd be broke.  Well fed, but broke.  I couldn't buy everything i wanted as I had limited room in my cooler as I had already made yogurt (sheep's milk) and cheese stops.  One of the cheeses I bought was a 13 year old cheddar i bought at  the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market.  I don't recall ever having seen a cheddar aged that long.  Did not see the butter - next time.

So glad you made it and enjoyed.  Hopefully you enjoy your haul (would love to hear!).  I too can't get out of there for under $100....

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 1

2 years ago the BBQ association I belonged to had a competition at a newly opened butcher across town.  I had not thought of him re: chuck eye until now.  So we traipsed over there today and I asked about the chuck eye.  He said his beef comes in on Tuesdays and he will cut one for me.  I am pretty sure I have never had this cut so I'll be very curious to try it.  He also had heritage pork which I've  as been trying to find (big black pig) and fresh, not frozen hangar steaks which were very well trimmed.  We had a great time chatting with him.  As an aside, he will also debone whole chickens for you.

• Like 2

This is a question about chuck eye roasts.  I have two pieces, about 1 3/4 pounds each.  I have read through this thread again and it seems that cooking chuck eye for 24 hours at 134F is the way to go.  However, that was for steaks.  Does the same apply to roasts?    Baldwin says to do them for 48 to 72 hours which is longer than what I am reading here.

20170718_164608.jpg

I went to see the Costco Business Center in Westminster, CA this morning for the first time. I found chuck rolls in their commercial meat area but I didn't go prepared to plunk down 50-70 dollars for the whole thing. But I now know I can get them. I think it was $2.79/lb.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos  

that's potentially good news for me.  if one Coasto has them maybe one near me might .

so they area about 20 lbs.

Im wondering if they would benefit from Dry Bag Aging ?

this is something I want to try once I have room for the result in the freezer.

your thoughts on Dry Bag aging this cut ?

@rotuts I would suggest Googling "Costco Business Center" to see if there are any in your area. The one I went to is about 55 miles from where I live, about 10 miles from my FILs house. I am at his house twice a week for things related to his terminal illness. 

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

nice tip.  thanks

the closest is N.J. !

if anyone goes to a Costco for other reasons , 

would you ask about this cut  ( chuck roll ) ?

Im not a member there there are two regular C's near enough to me

that Id take a gift card there , perhaps in the fall , so I have room in the freezer for a

dry-bag  aging experiment.

this cut seems a more reasonable one to start with

thanks

Here in Atlantic Canada, No Frills (the discount brand of Loblaw's, the larger of our two national supermarket companies) is now selling "chuck tender" steaks. I don't know if they're the same, but they seem to be pretty good value. We had them the other night, as an experiment (inspired by this thread, natch) and they seemed quite tender at the price. Cooking method was plain old gas grill. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's worth pointing out that the chuck roll (NAMP 116A) is not the same thing as the chuck eye roll (NAMP 116D); nether is it the same as the chuck tender (NAMP 116B).

All three are shoulder cuts, fabricated from the square-cut chuck (NAMP 113), which yields the shoulder clod (NAMP 114), as well as the chuck roll and the tender. The chuck eye roll is fabricated from the chuck roll.

These are North American designations. See here, herehere for more information.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

13 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

It's worth pointing out that the chuck roll (NAMP 116A) is not the same thing as the chuck eye roll (NAMP 116D); nether is it the same as the chuck tender (NAMP 116B).

It's hard to tell from the very poor image, but the picture of the chuck tender on that link looks too flat to have generated the steaks I purchased. Humph...might need to inquire further.

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

This chuck eye was cooked sous vide at 134F for 48 hours.  This is a seriously good piece of meat although it sure doesn't need 48 hours.  I have one more which I will do for 24 hours.  

20170724_195327.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 7

@rotuts  I did not use any seasoning.  There was no appreciable "chew" on the meat, it verged on mushiness, which is why I would try 24 hours next time.  I'll say this though - it is a glorious piece of meat, and now that I know where to find it, I'll buy it again.  

• Like 3

I just buy them at Food Lion, where they are fresh cut at the store and shrink wrapped on shallow styrofoam trays, not the kind that are deeper and usually infused with carbon monoxide with expiry dates way out from what fresh meat lasts. Walmart carries a lot of meat like that, with the carbon monoxide poison gas. Does anyone know, why not nitrogen, which is the majority of what we breath every day and not poisonous? That would push out the oxygen too, which is the problem with appearance of fresh meat.

I went on a grocery shop once, because my husband's friends had talked up Walmart groceries. I showed him the expiration dates on these packages of meat a week or more out, though and he agreed we needed to leave with the whole produce items we had picked up. Food Lion may be our low end, low cost grocer, but they have an in-house butcher operation with fresh cut and ground meats, unlike WalMart. And you know what? when the local TV station does market basket comparisons, Food Lion beats WalMart on prices for a typical shop by a small margin. I think a lot of the FL products are better, too.

I pan grilled a chuck eye steak indoors the other day. It looked well-marbled in the package, and tasted good, but not as good as ribeye. I am sure mine would have benefited from sou vide treatment, as it had a chaw to it, but thankfully, I still have good teeth, and that's part of the fun of eating to me. There's another one in the freezer for later on. I can sometimes get ribeye on sale though for a dollar or so more per pound than chuck eye, so ribeye is still the favorite in my book. Chuck eye seems to not go on sale here. I paid $5.49 a pound and I can get my preferred ribeye for $5.99 or $6.99 on a good sale. It is normally ten bucks a pound or more.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 weeks later...

I cooked the second chuck eye sous vide for 24 hours.  Still too long for our tastes as it had a touch of mushiness around the edge although the rest of it was fine.    I'll get another and try 12 hours or so.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:48 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

. Does anyone know, why not nitrogen, which is the majority of what we breath every day and not poisonous? That would push out the oxygen too, which is the problem with appearance of fresh meat.

Carbon monoxide binds to the myoglobin in meat and makes the meat really red.

So it looks fresh even when it isn't.

Nitrogen would give greyer than normal meat since some of the O2 in the myoglobin would unbind over time.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, Porthos said:

Until the first time I started reading SnowAngel's thread The Cabin...

My goodness!!!  How on earth did I miss 'The Cabin'?  I just pulled up the topic and can't stop reading.

The stories are wonderful, just the kind of stuff I love.

Thanks, Porthos, for mentioning it, or I'd never have seen it.

• Like 1

'The Cabin'... I see this topic is now closed, the last post was made in '08.  

I'm so curious about what's been happening since.  Is the SnowAngel still around?

Please forgive my hijacking but I can't post to the original thread.

Edited by lindag (log)

10 hours ago, lindag said:

'The Cabin'... I see this topic is now closed, the last post was made in '08.  

I'm so curious about what's been happening since.  Is the SnowAngel still around?

Please forgive my hijacking but I can't post to the original thread.

She popped up here last fall, but hasn't re-materialized as promised. We now return to the topic....

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown