• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Anna and others. I cook my chuck eye steaks for about 4 hours at 56 C. Sincere question. What difference(s) can I expect for 24 hours in the bath?

I cannot answer that since I have never tried to cook them for only four hours. If you are happy with the results then I would stick with it. If you think there might be some improvement then try the 24 hours once.  (Now though  I am beginning to question my notes and I don't have them here with me so it's possible either my notes or my memory are faulty.)  I do hope someone else chimes in here.

Edited it to say I just did a search on eG and 24 hours 56° is my standard treatment of a chuck eye.

Anna N

Anna N

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Anna and others. I cook my chuck eye steaks for about 4 hours at 56 C. Sincere question. What difference(s) can I expect for 24 hours in the bath?

I cannot answer that since I have never tried to cook them for only four hours. If you are happy with the results then I would stick with it. If you think there might be some improvement then try the 24 hours once.  (Now though  I am beginning to question my notes and I don't have them here with me so it's possible either my notes or my memory are faulty.)  I do hope someone else chimes in here.

Anna N

Anna N

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I cannot answer that since I have never tried to cook them for only four hours. If you are happy with the results then I would stick with it. If you think there might be some improvement then try the 24 hours once.  (Now though  I am beginning to question my notes and I don't have them here with me so it's possible it's in my notes or my memory are faulty.)  I do hope someone else chimes in here.