• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemonade cocktail

lindag

Me too!!! (although rum, tequila, vodka, etc would work too...)

Here is a very a propos recipe that St. George distillery just posted on Instagram using their Botanivore gin. I immediately thought of your question when I saw it!

Gin lemonade

Gin lemonade

I love fresh squeezed lemonade and have whole lemons around for when I get in the mood to make it. I like mine with the juice of a fresh whole lemon juiced into a bowl with a spoon after cutting in half and taking out all discernible seeds with the tip of a knife and holding it up to the strong light in my work area to try for the rest. I ream the halves with a large spoon and usually have to fish out more seeds from the bowl and dump this into a pint glass I have kept in the freezer. Add a scant TBSP of sugar and a shot of vodka, chilled water, then stir till sugar dissolves and add ice. Tastes pretty much like the non-alcoholic lemonade I love, and that is great with me.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

For lemonade I like Mississippi punch:  juice of a large lemon, maybe more, scantish tablespoon of sugar, half an ounce of batavia-arrack, ounce of Jamaican rum, two ounces cognac.

My Hamilton Beach commercial juicer gets use daily.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Jo,

i have This one and it work great although it only is useful for smaller fruit ( but that's all I need it for).  I only juice limes and lemons.

it is bulky tho so it's a pita to store.  I used to use it often to squeeze a bunch of lemons and limes to freeze in ice cube trays for use in cocktails.  Now it's stored away and I use this one that I bought in 2004 because it's less bulky and easier to clean up.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

Tried the lemonade cocktail yesterday wish Jack Daniels...that didn't do it.

Tonight I'm using Gordon's lime twisted...this is better.

i do want to try it with rum though since I have several bottles of different kinds.

Tequila sounds goo too.

• Like 2

I'm thinking that you should approach the situation by looking at the lemonade ingredients and see how well they align with existing cocktails. Obviously, there's lemon juice, some sugar of some sort, and water. So, look for a formula that has an ounce or so of lemon juice, some simple syrup, and is shaken (ice adds water). Instead of shaking, use the lemonade cold. I could see a very passable Bramble, or Gin Fix being made from it.

So, I liked the lemonade cocktail mixed with vodka, it tasted a lot like the one with gin, much to my surprise.

(I used Gilby's lime twisted gin and Smirnoff Vodka.)

Both were good.  I think what I like best about these cocktails is how simple and easy they are to prepare.

• 2 weeks later...

The winner is....

Simply Lemonade with Mango and Seagrams Lime Twisred Gin.

(I'd previously called it Gilby"s or Gordon's, don't remember which - and I only had the one drink!)

On 6/20/2017 at 8:53 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For lemonade I like Mississippi punch:  juice of a large lemon, maybe more, scantish tablespoon of sugar, half an ounce of batavia-arrack, ounce of Jamaican rum, two ounces cognac.

My Hamilton Beach commercial juicer gets use daily.

I must give this a try.  Sounds truly delicious.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...