• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did I ruin this pork?

pistolabella

So I had the bright idea to smoke a pork butt in our gas grill. I had read about the method, had everything in place, my grill set up for indirect cooking, thought everything was going great...until just now I realized I was reading the celsius and not the farenheit on the temperature gauge (never used this grill before and just didn't think to check). The pork has been on about 3 hours now. I wondered how it was achieving such a lovely color so "quickly" (was supposed to take about 8 hours. What should / can I do? The internal temp is about 150. I've since turned the heat down and its right around 220. Any tips...greatly appreciated. I feel like a real dummy.

Its pretty much done as far as being cooked. That 150 will rise a lot as it sits.

But it may be real tough because of the short cook.

I'd let it rest, covered, off the heat.  Slice it thin and maybe with a sauce?

Edited by gfweb (log)

I guess it depends on what is the final texture you desire.  If you want it to be pulled pork then I would wrap it in foil and continue cooking until internal temp is 195 to 197F .Otherwise go with gfweb's recommendation.

Edited by Okanagancook
Correction (log)
  • Like 2

I think there are a few sections that will be salvageable for pulled pork but some parts are already dry and tough as a shoe. I guess we'll work with what we have tonight, and next weekend - I try again! Thanks for the suggestions .

go with the wrap Okanagan suggested with a splash of apple juice.   if the dried portion doesn't come all the way back , just tell everyone it is "Bark",  which is highly prized in  BBQ . Sell it as a great feature . :) 

• Like 5

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I once slow roasted a pork roast to 188 and sliced it and it was perfect.  I've got to think your meat has to have benefited somewhat by 'the stall'. I'd be curious as to whether the outside portions (other than the surface) ever got above 160.  Probably too late to check now though.

Some of the best pork roasts ive done were gradually brought up to 180F, so tender it barely slices without falling apart. But if its brought up to temp too fast it will go from tough to crumbled dried out no matter how long you cook. I start off at 300F till it reaches 130F, then i crank the oven down down to 200F for one hour so it has time to rest in the 130-140F range (this is where fat/tissue starts to break down) Then crank it back up to 300F till it reaches 180F. (about 6-8 hours) I baste in the pan dripping juices every hour.

• Like 1