• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi Mistake - Near Tasteless

Vision

Hi all, I made basic salmon sushi yesterday, salmon on top of rice pillows. Picked up wonderful looking, fatty, farm raised salmon from an great asian grocery. The rice came out perfect but the salmon was bland boarding on tasteless. Even the belly. Disappointing. I could have purchased wild salmon but find it hard to believe every low end purveyor of sushi who turns out tasty salmon sushi uses wild caught salmon.

So I'm wondering why is every generic salmon piece I get from cheapo grocery store or happy hour taste great. If I go to a local supermarket and spend $5 on a 6 pack of salmon sushi setting in the refrigerator case for a few days, why can I taste the salmon and richness of the fat there but not yesterday? Are they cutting strips of salmon and seasoning them ahead of time with msg?

To ME, anyway, the pleasure in great sushi* and sashimi is in great fish... not in any trick that might make lesser fish 'work'

the fish I buy from my Japanese market is great right as is... with nothing at all done to it or put on it. 

That is, to me, where it needs to always start. 

If yours is bland, you need to find better fish. 

And it's likely to cost you. 

*i only eat out for sashimi and sushi at the super high end restaurants (the Morimoto and Nobu and Masa types of the world) in the US.  

I am spoiled by eating in Japan too many times. 

The average local place in North America is just too much as you describe your own effort: bland and boring. 

I'd rather buy great fish and cut it myself. 

Can't say ive tried it when making sashimi, but maybe brine your salmon in salt/ice water (1/4 cup kosher salt, 1 Quart ice water) an hour before slicing. I do this when making sous vide salmon and it always comes out perfect. Try on a small portion first and rince and pat dry before slicing.

22 hours ago, Vision said:
Hi all, I made basic salmon sushi yesterday, salmon on top of rice pillows. Picked up wonderful looking, fatty, farm raised salmon from an great asian grocery. The rice came out perfect but the salmon was bland boarding on tasteless. Even the belly. Disappointing. I could have purchased wild salmon but find it hard to believe every low end purveyor of sushi who turns out tasty salmon sushi uses wild caught salmon.

So I'm wondering why is every generic salmon piece I get from cheapo grocery store or happy hour taste great. If I go to a local supermarket and spend $5 on a 6 pack of salmon sushi setting in the refrigerator case for a few days, why can I taste the salmon and richness of the fat there but not yesterday? Are they cutting strips of salmon and seasoning them ahead of time with msg?

May be you can put some Old Bay Seasoning on the salmon? :D:D

I have found that sometimes when I was hitted by some cold germs, under the weather, everything would taste flavorless.

dcarch

18 hours ago, gfweb said:

I think the sushi place we go to brines it in a little salt and sugar. Is this standard or a trick...I don't know.

I think it's a common practice.  I think I remember reading, salt, sugar and sake from some article.  

• Like 1

I have never heard of any Japanese (see; Japanese owned/run - unlike - sadly -  most 'sushi' places out there) place which brines their salmon.

Then again I typically do not get Salmon when out for sushi...

Edited by TicTac (log)

10 hours ago, olofliddin said:

wow I've always wanted to make sushi but I cant find fresh fish here at my town.:$

The Lobster Place?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

3 words - farm-raised salmon. Equals lousy salmon.

This.

One of the main reasons why I don't get salmon at Japanese restaurants (or anywhere, for that matter).  I have had some great wild salmon sushi in Vancouver @ Tojo's, but rarely do you see it far from home and when you do it is very seasonal.

On the flip side, the other week I had a sublime piece of Ocean Trout sushi (far cousin of Salmon!) which he grated some yuzu on top of - so rich and unctuous. 

Why bother with Salmon when there is Blue Fin Tuna / Toro!

50 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Why bother with Salmon when there is Blue Fin Tuna / Toro!

I actually avoid Blue fin as well, not because of the flavor (which is awesome), but because they're pretty damn near gone.

Any number of other species work well for me.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 6/19/2017 at 10:18 AM, gfweb said:

I think the sushi place we go to brines it in a little salt and sugar. Is this standard or a trick...I don't know.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:57 AM, scubadoo97 said:

I think it's a common practice.  I think I remember reading, salt, sugar and sake from some article.  

I do this every time I prepare fish.

• Like 1

I pay the premium for wild or forego the sashimi.  Can do farm raised for sushi rolls or cooking salmon.  In either case will do the salt/sugar brine.  This was shown to me by a couple Sushi Chefs in a Japanese food group I belonged to and it seems to do well by the fish.

I wonder what every ones take on what is considered "safe" sushi salmon. Even the Asian market i buy all my ingredients from doesn't carry Salmon. Only Tuna, and i am not a fan of Tuna for sushi. The only other option is Wegmans. The have a sushi bar and i was told i would have to buy the entire Frozen fillet which cost $30/lb :sad:

Salmon was not a fish traditionally used for sushi or sashimi*. I don't know if it was natively found in Japan.

Salmon was not considered safe for raw consumption due to parasites because it's not strictly a saltwater fish. I don't know if farmed salmon is affected.

I recall that when salmon was used, it was lightly smoked or salted, supposedly to kill parasites.

Sushi rice, and its preparation is very important to the final taste of great sushi. I think home cooks underestimate its importance.

* There is a wonderful book, "Sushi" by Masuo Yoshino (1985 published by Gakken) that lists 40 fish toppings and salmon is not one of them. However, there is mention of chirahshi-zushi that includes smoked salmon as an ingredient.

• Like 1

Monterey Bay area