• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Amazon buys Whole Foods

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Not comparable.    Repeating my mantra, there are no bad foods, only bad cooks.    I was gobsmacked to be served and loved cabbage at many small Paris restaurants last year.     I would never have chosen it, but each chef made magic with this humble veg.   

I am a bad cook.  And, yes, I have watched Das Weisse Band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Ribbon

Another day, another amazon order.  This time they came through; or almost came through.  I was a little surprised the store had dry aged ribeye today when yesterday they were out.  Of course the steak they actually sent was not dry aged.  And they had no cilantro.

The rest of the problems were of my own making:  I wanted to reorder the recipe ingredients that I had ordered yesterday.  Amazon makes it easy enough to do this.  What I failed to remember was the site does not keep track of your previous quantities.  So for my chile verde con cerdo I received one tomatillo and one onion.  Nine less tomatillos than what I need.

I had been at the dentist for three hours twenty minutes.  My order included a pint of McConnell's ice cream.  It was on sale.

• Like 2

Today's order went much better.  Still had no organic cilantro but nice looking non-organic was substituted with my permission; at half the price.

Someday maybe I will understand amazon pricing.  last night at work I saw swordfish on sale at $16.99 a pound.  By the time I got home it had gone up to $19.99 -- list price.  I went to bed in disgust.

When I woke up the price had reduced to $14.99 a pound.  And that seems to be what they charged me.  But the actual label on the butcher paper wrapped parcel read $19.99 a pound.  Every other grocery store I know adjusts their prices once per week.  But no, not amazon.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The proverbial Other Shoe drops:

"Whole Foods to cut health care benefits for 1,900 part-time employees"

Amazon-owned Whole Foods will be withdrawing medical benefits for hundreds of its part-time workers starting Jan. 1, 2020, the company said Thursday.

In the past, employees needed to work at least 20 hours a week to qualify for the health-care plan. Now they will need to work at least 30 hours. Less than 2% of its workforce, or 1,900 employees, will no longer be eligible for medical coverage, under the new policy, the company said. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I adore cabbage, both raw and cooked, as well as nearly every vegetable I know.

My Mom and Dad raised us to love vegetables.

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

I am sad for the 1,900 Whole Foods people affected but more surprised that they had healthcare in the first place.  My job is part time and I have no work healthcare unless I am injured on the job.  I've never heard of a US business giving part time workers healthcare.  That's why there are part time jobs.

Forgive me if my post sounds bitter.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lindag said:

I adore cabbage, both raw and cooked, as well as nearly every vegetable I know.

My Mom and Dad raised us to love vegetables.

I love vegetables.  I just don't always like to eat them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am sad for the 1,900 Whole Foods people affected but more surprised that they had healthcare in the first place.  My job is part time and I have no work healthcare unless I am injured on the job.  I've never heard of a US business giving part time workers healthcare.  That's why there are part time jobs.

Forgive me if my post sounds bitter.

"In the past, employees needed to work at least 20 hours a week to qualify for the health-care plan. Now they will need to work at least 30 hours. Less than 2% of its workforce, or 1,900 employees, will no longer be eligible for medical coverage, under the new policy, the company said. "

I agree, surprised they had healthcare at half time, that seems unusually generous.