• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N

And now amazon has given notice that Amazon Prime Now is ending, at least in my area, at the end of the month.  Whole Foods ordering as been folded into amazon.com.  When I tried to use amazon.com to order from Whole Foods I ran into a problem they require you to give a number that can accept accept text messages.  Why can't an intergalactic space ship company just make it easier to buy their stuff?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And now amazon has given notice that Amazon Prime Now is ending, at least in my area, at the end of the month.  Whole Foods ordering as been folded into amazon.com.  When I tried to use amazon.com to order from Whole Foods I ran into a problem they require you to give a number that can accept accept text messages.  Why can't an intergalactic space ship company just make it easier to buy their stuff?

Another of the innumerable challenges that might (but won’t) be resolved with a smart phone

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Same email received here.

I ordered a Whole Foods delivery for today.  There is a line on the invoice for service charge, though it currently is set to zero.  Some things I do not understand.  Like why I received two packages of duck.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I ordered a Whole Foods delivery for today.  There is a line on the invoice for service charge, though it currently is set to zero.  Some things I do not understand.  Like why I received two packages of duck.

I think the fee starts Oct 25th according to my email from Amazon.   I wonder if you have Amazon Reward $$ in excess of $9.95 in your Prime account, could that be used to cover the fee?   The FAQ's don't cover that now for the fee.   To be honest, I am not a home delivery shopper at the moment, so I don't have a depth of experience with WF Prime Home delivery.

I have used Amazon Fresh and Amazon Pantry home delivery on rare occasions.  

35 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I think the fee starts Oct 25th according to my email from Amazon.   I wonder if you have Amazon Reward $$ in excess of $9.95 in your Prime account, could that be used to cover the fee?   The FAQ's don't cover that now for the fee.   To be honest, I am not a home delivery shopper at the moment, so I don't have a depth of experience with WF Prime Home delivery.

I have used Amazon Fresh and Amazon Pantry home delivery on rare occasions.  

I used to use Amazon Fresh, but Amazon Fresh is no longer available in my area.

• 9 months later...

Just put up today there are signs along the highway proclaiming construction of a new amazon Whole Foods market.  Not that they have not been promising this vaporware Whole Foods for years.  If true, the new Whole Foods will be closer and more convenient to me than Shoprite.  I wonder if it will be one of amazon's new cashierless Whole Foods locations?

Nonetheless I look forward to an alternative source of limes to break Shoprite's monopoly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This past week a pedestrian crossing was installed across the highway to a vast vacant former farmer's field, next to the sign saying Whole Foods Coming Soon.

Meanwhile my lime delivery took over an hour to arrive last night.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This past week a pedestrian crossing was installed across the highway to a vast vacant former farmer's field, next to the sign saying Whole Foods Coming Soon.

Meanwhile my lime delivery took over an hour to arrive last night.

Now that's a first world problem!

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, lindag said:

Is it within walling distance for you?

It was when I could walk.  Maybe I'll be able to walk again by the time Whole Foods is built.

• Sad 1