• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N

Not Whole Foods, but foods.

Two things I cannot live without:  kewpie mayonnaise and six bottles of @feste's orgeat cannot be delivered.  So I am told.  The package was damaged.  One bottle of orgeat usually makes it through in one piece but amazon has not yet discovered how to ship six glass bottles in one package.

The last time I ordered more than one bottle of orgeat the bottles broke and could not be delivered.  One would think amazon could save shipping costs by shipping more than one bottle at a time.  But apparently not.

And I need my kewpie mayonnaise...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I've ordered directly from KewpieUSA.  They have both the Japanese and US styles of mayo.   Also carry some of the hard to get Kewpie dressings, I particularly like the Coconut Wasabi over avocado.

Thanks for the idea.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Toliver said:

Amazon announced two partnerships, one with AllRecipes.com and one with EatLove.
Regarding AllRecipes.com:

"Amazon and Allrecipes team up to take on Blue Apron’s meal kits"

And regarding EatLove:

"Amazon partners with EatLove to deliver personalized meals"

I guess the main difference between the two is that EatLove will help you stick with your dietary restrictions, whereas the AllRecipes partnership will send you the all of the ingredients needed to make the recipe of your choice, without any exceptions regarding your dietary restrictions.

And now Whole Foods is delivering Amazon Meal Kits.  Eight choices available in my area.  Price is $15.99-$19.99.  I was not tempted.

• Like 2

Tonight's dinner was supposed to have been whole roasted branzino from the CSO recipe booklet (p20).  I ordered all the ingredients from amazon.*  All were correct except the organic fennel...for which they sent a leek.  There was no message asking if I wanted a replacement.  Obviously you can't roast a branzino with fennel if you only have a leek.

I called amazon and was connected to an agent immediately.  Exceptional customer service.  I explained the situation.  She said she'd never cooked with fennel and I described the recipe.  There was still a delivery window for tonight!  I placed my order for organic fennel and the representative credited me for all the extra charges.

My exhilaration was short lived.  Organic fennel is out of stock.  The shopper suggested basil.  But no.  Had they no inorganic fennel?  Once again defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.  But the customer service was quite pleasant, really.

*all but I couple things that I had, and one fished from the garbage.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

@JoNorvelleWalker, I don't know whether to laugh or groan over that one. Both, I think.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

" '12 Days of Cheese' Returns to Whole Foods in Time for Party Season"

Whole Foods announced it's bringing back its popular 12 Days of Cheese promotion—meaning, from December 12 to 23, your stress eating can consist of a rotating selection of high-quality artisanal cheeses at low, low prices!

See the article for the list of specific cheeses that will be part of the sale.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Get there early for the cheese though.  I went in the afternoon for I think Humboldt Fog and it was gone and the associate said it was sold out almost immediately in the morning.  Some cheeses are more sought after than others.

Edited by lemniscate
wrong cheese (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I placed my Prime Now Whole Foods order this afternoon the delivery map showed the items were coming from an unexpected location nearer to me than the usual Whole Foods Market.  Is the map broken or has amazon opened something new?

• 1 month later...

well

times do change a bit

Corona etc

consider this :

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/93988v/whole-foods-suggests-that-workers-share-paid-time-off-during-coronavirus

well

it speaks for itself

WF  back then

is not WF's now

disgraceful Id like to say

and indeed i have  < 5 shares of Amazon

and I dont go to WF

by personal Prefs n

TJ's right across the  street 

w better parking

if they made Asparagus water once

they might make  something

similar again

I do hope to goto TJ's

in a few months

I miss them

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

"Whole Foods' 12 Days of Cheese Sale Is Back—Here's Your Daily Rundown"

I won't copy and paste any info from the short article (since it's just a list of dates when specific cheeses will be featured in the store).

Cheeseheads...enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

23 minutes ago, Toliver said:

"Whole Foods' 12 Days of Cheese Sale Is Back—Here's Your Daily Rundown"

I won't copy and paste any info from the short article (since it's just a list of dates when specific cheeses will be featured in the store).

Cheeseheads...enjoy!

Tried to get some last year, apparently the sale cheeses sell out within minutes, according to the WF person I asked to help find the sale items.   Get there early!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

"Whole Foods Is Starting To Charge Prime Members With Grocery Delivery Fees"

Beginning August 30, Amazon will be tacking on an additional fee of $9.99 for deliveries from Whole Foods for Prime members. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on where you live), the new fee will only be applied to Prime members who reside in six specific cities. Those who live in the greater Detroit area; the Greater Boston area; the Greater Chicago area; Portland, Maine; Providence Rhode Island; and Manchester, New Hampshire can expect to see the new fee as a part of a new pilot program that Amazon is rolling out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

""" .........  can expect to see the new fee as a part of a new pilot program that Amazon is rolling out. ""

what a bit of Jibber - Japper 

Amazon has not figured out groceries 

so no more subsidies 

'' rolling out ... ? '''

I go to WF quite frequently and I would estimate most of the "shopping" done at WF in the aisles is for delivery orders.  You can tell the pro-shoppers by the foil bubble wraps bags in the carts.   There's a large section of real estate set aside near the middle of the store for the pro-shoppers prep and organizing.   Most of the entrance hallway is cold cases and shelves holding orders to go out for delivery.  They outnumber us normal shopping cart users on any given day from my observations.

I am not a grocery delivery user as of yet, I venture out to the stores for my stuff still.  

One thing that confuses me on Amazon Prime grocery is there is Amazon Fresh and WF delivery.  They kind of overlap each other.  Seems like there could be some consolidation there for efficiency for grocery orders.

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I go to WF quite frequently and I would estimate most of the "shopping" done at WF in the aisles is for delivery orders.  You can tell the pro-shoppers by the foil bubble wraps bags in the carts.   There's a large section of real estate set aside near the middle of the store for the pro-shoppers prep and organizing.   Most of the entrance hallway is cold cases and shelves holding orders to go out for delivery.  They outnumber us normal shopping cart users on any given day from my observations.

I am not a grocery delivery user as of yet, I venture out to the stores for my stuff still.  

One thing that confuses me on Amazon Prime grocery is there is Amazon Fresh and WF delivery.  They kind of overlap each other.  Seems like there could be some consolidation there for efficiency for grocery orders.

Where I live in New Jersey we used to have Amazon Fresh.  Delivered by the US post office, I believe from Philadelphia.  Most grocery selection was nondescript but there was interesting meat and seafood available from third party vendors.  Even Australian meat pies.  (no toes.)

Then amazon got a new corporate manager who did away with Amazon Fresh outside the metropolitan areas where amazon delivered Amazon Fresh directly in their own trucks, as opposed to delivery through the post office.  Then we were offered Whole Foods delivery from Amazon Prime Now.  Much better produce selection, better meat selection, and disappointing seafood.  Disappointing seafood selection, not disappointing seafood quality.  I can't believe Whole Foods does not sell clams.

A few years ago our local government fully approved construction of a new Whole Foods market within walking distance of where I live.  They have yet to break ground.  Bezos is too preoccupied with Elon Musk.  Surely Musk can figure out how to successfully sell mollusks.

I live in outside of a highly populated town and Whole Foods delivery to me has never been available. And I’m fine with that. I use Instacart and get Wegmans, Kings (a high end grocery store), ShopRite and Aldi as well as Petsmart, Sephora and Big Lots to name a few. I’ve always found WF to be too limited for me to complete an order. 

Ironically I have two WF stores within 3 miles of my home so should I ever get the urge I can simply go there. I don’t feel like I’m missing out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I live in outside of a highly populated town and Whole Foods delivery to me has never been available. And I’m fine with that. I use Instacart and get Wegmans, Kings (a high end grocery store), ShopRite and Aldi as well as Petsmart, Sephora and Big Lots to name a few. I’ve always found WF to be too limited for me to complete an order. 

Ironically I have two WF stores within 3 miles of my home so should I ever get the urge I can simply go there. I don’t feel like I’m missing out. 

I've been in Whole Foods twice.  Once a friend took me.  I bought a feather duster and bulk chocolate.  I love the feather duster.  The bulk chocolate was vile.  I went once with my granddaughter.  We circumnavigated the store a couple times but did not purchase anything.

• Like 1

I use WF as a supermarket (I predominately shop their Prime weekly sales, this week there's a good price on ground bison that I will stock up on), as an Amazon delivery/return point and as a place to get a good draft beer while doing either of the previous activities.

The pre AMZN WF and the post AMZN WF are vastly different creatures.   I did a rare bit of shopping at the pre but now do more shopping at the post model due to the deals on stuff I like.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been in Whole Foods twice.  Once a friend took me.  I bought a feather duster and bulk chocolate.  I love the feather duster.  The bulk chocolate was vile.  I went once with my granddaughter.  We circumnavigated the store a couple times but did not purchase anything.

I should clarify that my Whole Foods in-store experiences were pre-amazon.

I never liked the vibes in the original.  Kind of like visiting the wrong church.  No one there like me.   I found the meat sub-par what i can buy at my corner super's butcher counter, and the prices gouging.   Post Amazon, we have found prices quire reasonable although I prefer the quality and selection elsewhere.   We go there periodically to buy Grizzli brand Swiss Musli, which is usually out of stock. 

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.