• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N

On 12/6/2018 at 2:24 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Half price Humboldt Fog always sounds good to me, as so some of the others!

I just got back with a chunk of Kaltbach aged gruyere.   Chunk was labeled $11, paid $5.50 because it was the daily 50% off cheese.   So, so good.  I would have probably passed on this cheese previously, because I "thought" I knew what gruyere tastes like.  This is creamy, nutty, umami semi firm, addictive cheese.   I am aiming for the Keen cheddar on Monday, then the Humboldt Fog on Tuesday.  Ah, who am I kidding, I'm gonna show up for most of them if it's possible.  

• Like 1

I stopped my WF the other day

its across the street from Tj's

I went there to get some bulk  steel-cut oatmeal   i.e. groats

thats the only place that has this item in my area.

as my vaccinations were more or less up to date 

I ventured into the store.

what I noticed :   the vegetable were not artfully stacked as high as they used to be 

before JB bought the place

things had been moved around

and I didn't see , but did not look hard for ,  kiosks of 3-D rate electronics that talked to you and monitored all you did.

[ F.D.:  I own a few shares of both AAPL and AMZN  , only a few .  more than my fingers , but less than my toes counted in }

I do suggest you buy a bazillion bucks of stuff you do not need at WH and AMAzon 3-d rate electronics.

or by the Sweet Stuff , from AAPL 

why ?  my few positions , very long term positions they are , in the doldrums due to the TrumpSterIsh  effect

my personal suggestion :  get the food stuffs at WF

and the electronics from AAPL

its a Win-Win for me , See ?

• Like 2

Yesterday I cooked up some sausages and chuck from WF Prime Now and I must say I was impressed with the quality -- as I should be for the price.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Another day, another amazon Prime Now order.  They still don't have it quite right yet.  Last time I called amazon in high dudgeon because Whole Foods never contacted me that things in my order were out of stock.  They are supposed to.  Amazon said my issue had been escalated to the store.

Well, I still was not contacted this time either.  Thankfully only the mushrooms were out of stock.  But had I been told in a timely fashion I'm sure they would have had some fungi to sell.  Plus they sent the wrong apples.  I ordered organic Lady Alice.  What I received were unmarked but they do not look like Lady Alice.  And they are smaller than a decent crabapple.  Not as large as a golf ball.  The problem may be that the people filling orders are being pushed too hard by amazon.  After I submitted the order the message came that the order was complete far sooner than I could have pushed a cart around the store.  Even if I knew the layout and where things were.

All three times I've ordered, one thing or another has been out of stock.  But all three times, I must say, the packaging and delivery have been excellent.  Here I sit in my comfortable chair with peanuts and autumn in Jersey.  I ordered at 7:00 and my packages arrived by 8:30.  That's about as fast as I could have made it to Shoprite and back on a warm dry day.  And almost all of what I ordered would not have been found on the shelves of Shoprite.  And hypothetically if it had, four bags to carry would have been an issue.  Shoprite might have had some mushrooms though.

• Like 3

Something else I noticed about the aforementioned applets that were purported Lady Alice:  these apples are priced by the pound.  The "estimated" weight was 0.88 pounds.  The "actual" weight for which I was charged was 0.88 pounds.  Good consistency there.

Problem is that when placed on my scale they were all of 67 grams, charitably including the packaging and rounding up.  I called amazon and told them this was dishonest.  I wonder if there is some State bureaucratic entity that might agree?

• Like 2

I tried a new tack.  Rather than place my order late in the evening for the last delivery, I placed my order before bed for delivery in the morning.  Everything was in stock, and nothing I ordered required weighing.

The recent issue of the local paper has a letter to the editor decrying the construction of our new Whole Foods because of the adverse effect amazon has on local businesses.  The author said she is not calling for a boycott but asks to consider shopping choices.  I infer she is probably not someone who hikes in the rain to buy her food.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

"[Yahoo Finance] Exclusive: Amazon eyes closed Sears stores for Whole Foods expansion"

While some traditional retailers are having a hard time keeping their doors open, Amazon-owned Whole Foods has been gearing up to rapidly expand into more regions.

Grocery chain Whole Foods is eyeing sites that were previously home to Sears, Kmart and other struggling retailers, sources told Yahoo Finance...

Whole Foods now has more than 470 stores around the country, still a far cry from its competitors in the grocery space, including Walmart and Kroger. Eighteen months after Amazon’s acquisition, Whole Foods now has the money to open new locations in areas that were once out of reach, including states like Wyoming and Montana.

I question the wisdom of opening a Whole Foods in a mall when malls are supposedly dying.

But they probably know what they're doing...they're Amazon, afterall. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

"[Yahoo Finance] Exclusive: Amazon eyes closed Sears stores for Whole Foods expansion"

I question the wisdom of opening a Whole Foods in a mall when malls are supposedly dying.

But they probably know what they're doing...they're Amazon, afterall. :cool:

The Whole Foods that is coming to this area will be part of a new mall.

JeffB

who seems to have a lot on his mind revently

has also dumped the WF ' 365 ' stores.

as I own a very few shares of AMZN  [ ed.: full disclosure , thank you ]

JeffB really hasn't made a lot of WF

yet

cheaper WF's

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list/365

this  might be all of them

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/365

before JB bought WF

I don't think , knowing very little

that WF might not be going well for JB at all

just a sense 

well

you can pick up your Amazonian Loot there

I guess.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Jeff is apparently building a Whole Foods next to me so I have no complaints.  Even if it's dreadful just being there should keep Shoprite on its toes.  And besides there is always Wawa.

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Interesting that an online retailer is investing in old school stores, the very brick and mortar ones that failed because of online sales. 

There is a 1999 Bezos quote in the NY Times today:

"The vast bulk of store-bought goods...you will order electronically.  Some physical storefronts will survive, but they'll have to offer at least one of two things:  entertainment value or immediate convenience."

• Like 3

Another data point:  my Prime Now order just arrived complete, promptly, and well packed.  Of particular note the Lady Alice apples actually look like Lady Alice apples.  Unlike the last occasion.

Everything looked good.  Perhaps Whole Foods are getting better.  And now I am hungry.

• Like 2

in response to the JB quote :

had to go to LLBean for an exchange

in that high-end outdoor mall there was 

a ShakeShack

I of course never miss an opportunity for a SS visit if its right in front of me

and a Amazon Book Store.

I didn't go in , but found that odd.

selling books on-line made Amazon

Im wondering if JB is a little short on revolutionary ideas

or that his vast wealths , or soon enough , 1/2 vast wealth

had fogged up his brain.

I was never a fan of WF , mostly their prices

what what Ive seen of the Amazon WF across from TJ's

dosnt inspire me to be a patron.

they and so mush  ' fresh ' fish on ice display , that I doubt they sell 1/3 d of it before it becomes ' fishy '

they must toss out a lot of high end food.

or their patrons have very few taste buds.

but , in the final analysis , as I own a very few shares of AMZN

AM.thumb.jpg.6973013973ed3edc77b5f49cd2b47569.jpg

I hope A-WF eventually does very well

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Something I tripped across the other day while working, and thought it might amuse some of you (and it's at least somewhat on topic...)

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/325536

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

in response to the JB quote :

had to go to LLBean for an exchange

There is no LL Bean near here.

Interestingly in our new mall where Whole Foods is coming LL Bean is to be the anchor store.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting read.

I still shop Whole Foods at a minimal level, which is more than "before Amazon" when I didn't shop there at all.   I almost exclusively shop the sale items, like the fresh seafood and cheese,  and some produce.  I am a Prime member with the Prime Visa, so I get those Amazon points for purchases.   I feel I'm getting good perks.  I am kind of surprised that my shopping there isn't increasing though.   I still default to Costco and Trader Joe's for the vast majority of groceries.

I don't recall seeing Whole 365 groceries being offered on the Prime specials, maybe the pricing doesn't allow for it.

I would have the Prime membership with or without Whole Foods, but I appreciate them trying to entice me with the special pricing.

• Like 4