• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N

So I logged on to Amazon.ca this rainy morning and discovered that I can now order Whole Foods pantry items. No fresh food yet but I’m holding out hope. Not that Amazon or Whole Foods would necessarily be my grocer of choice but I definitely need some competition to the present home delivery service that I have!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I stopped in at Whole Foods yesterday and it seemed to me that the store is still the same before Amazon bought it. Organic apples were still $4.99 a pound.  However, they had these new-to-me grapes called Moon Drops for sale and i bought some.  They're delicious.  I also bought some Bob's Red Mill Ivory Wheat Flour.  I have never seen ivory/white wheat flour for sale here so was happy to get my hands on some.  Fellow Canadians may be interested in knowing that i called Robin Hood and when I asked abiut white whole wheat flour i was huffily told that they had no plans to make any.

20171011_141513.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

"Whole Foods Is Launching the Self-Serve Mac and Cheese Bar of Your Dreams"

The Whole Foods Market Union Station location in Denver is set to open on Nov. 15, and it will be home to Whole Foods' very first self-serve station meant to make every mac-and-cheese-lover's dreams come true. And it won't just include your typical elbows and cheddar mac 'n' cheese, either. The mac and cheese bar options will include pulled pork BBQ mac and cheese, roasted tomato mac and cheese, and even a vegan mac and cheese...

Do we have any eG'ers in that area who can take one for the team? 9_9:D

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

13 hours ago, rotuts said:

its interesting ( to me ) 

that retailers are trying to fight back using lease restrictions 

amazon whole food restrictions

that might prevent lockers @ WF , selling electronics and what noe.

Good luck to them !

the Horse has already left the barn .

suprise.gif.e247f92359ea8c62a12a0740a80357f0.gif

A lesson with which I was inculcated early in my youth:

My guardian was from a patrician family and did very well in real estate...up until the depression when he went bankrupt.  Once he showed what he thought was a most desirable location to a confectionary magnate.  The client observed there were no other candy stores in the area and explained he only wanted to locate where there was competition.

I am not a gambling sort, otherwise I'd say my bet's on Bezos.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just had an email from amazon that they are discontinuing Amazon Fresh in my area.  They regret the inconvenience.  So much for the theory that buying Whole Foods will expand their service area.

• Sad 7

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Well, I just had an email from amazon that they are discontinuing Amazon Fresh in my area.  They regret the inconvenience.  So much for the theory that buying Whole Foods will expand their service area.

My uneducated guess is that they're suspending (or just ending) Amazon Fresh and will eventually replace it with a new Whole Foods-centered delivery service.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I know how upset I would be if I had access to the service and it was suddenly withdrawn. My sympathies.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree :

Amazon is going to use WF for many things :

local delivery

local ' cook it yourself '  from our 4 + options

I have no idea id WF has a presence in Canada

but if it does

and one is within a certain radius

things will be happening

at some point

BTW :

Ive followed BlueApron

as a New Market idea

and the intricacies they have had to deal with 

Im guessing they are not doing so well

that's a neutral statement 

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AAPRN&ei=Qa78WcCoMZK2e7uuh_gD

I cap PBS Vids

BA seems to no longer be able to sponsor

no matter

two local   NE similar affairs 

have jumped right in.

" Happy Cooking ! "

Jacques Pepin

Whole Foods definitely has a presence in Canada. There is one that is a hop skip and a jump from my local Humane Society so I am very familiar with it. 

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Whole Foods definitely has a presence in Canada. There is one that is a hop skip and a jump from my local Humane Society so I am very familiar with it. 

Well...they have a presence in Vancouver and Toronto. That's not entirely the same thing. :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

And Ottawa.

Here they are.

Certainly they are in large urban areas but that should not be much of a surprise. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I know how upset I would be if I had access to the service and it was suddenly withdrawn. My sympathies.

Thank you, Anna.  I was/am annoyed, or more like feeling a sense of loss.  A friend commented this afternoon that I did not use Fresh all that often.  Which is true, but I could get ingredients I cannot find in walking distance.  Plus I was really relying on it for this winter.  Some years we have enough snow that I cannot get to the local store.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here they are.

Certainly they are in large urban areas but that should not be much of a surprise. 

No, not a surprise. Though it does leave most of the country well outside any reasonable definition of "local delivery area." :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

56 minutes ago, chromedome said:

No, not a surprise. Though it does leave most of the country well outside any reasonable definition of "local delivery area." :P

But that goes for so much of our country. Imagine if you were living in Nunavut. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, Nunavut is a whole other story to be sure. I have friends up in Whitehorse, and they pay pretty steep prices for groceries. 

I'm sure Amazon/Whole Foods will expand over the next few years, at least to the other million-person urban areas (Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton). Won't be a factor for the rest of us anytime soon, though I can't complain...we at least have IKEA as close as Halifax now. :P

(I was trying to come up with something funny using the acronym, to the effect that coverage in Canada was currently A/WFul, but it just didn't seem worth the effort)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

But that goes for so much of our country. Imagine if you were living in Nunavut. 

Nunavut, heck. Jonesboro is a small city of 80,000, and we just got Uber last summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Every time I visit Amazon, I see a button encouraging me to try Amazon Fresh but it has never been available.   They'll deliver to locations a few miles to the east of me and also a few miles to the NW but not here. Since there's a Whole Foods just 2 miles from my house, I thought that might change, but no dice.   I don't need grocery delivery in general, but I would have liked the ability to get occasional treats from Santa Monica Seafood without driving down there.

• Like 2

One can either live in an over-populated urban area with all its perks and its traffic congestion, air pollution, high crime rate and meal/food delivery services, or in places like Nunavut and compete with polar bears for your daily rations, or you can compromise and live in the vast remaining parts of both the USA and Canada and do without both the perks and the problems of the alternative.xD  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

J.B. has made many mistakes 

trying to squeeze authors for their books is one of them.

but he seems to have learned from some of his mistakes.

he likes to tinker and then see what happens

Amazon understands  ' Dry Goods '  :  books and stuff that can sit on a shelf

then be sent to you.

Prior to the WF purchase , they had no experience with  " perishable '

that's your food  , frozen or not.

they will make something of this

eventually  

after all

BlueApron  tried

and now this :

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AAPRN&ei=le79Wej3LoXpmAGL5KGIAw

food to your home , sliced and diced , or the things you need

is not detergent , with a button.

Amazon has its strengths 

and many weaknesses.

but in my view :

Amazon will work out of WF

and try to establish others

there is a bit of back lash about the others   

No No No , not in my Maul !

more or less.

interesting times ahead for

Food : Click and Return on your computer.

for those that can afford it.

• Like 2