• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Wow.

That was my immediate response.   There didn't seem anything more I could add to the post other than a link.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I guess that means the "greedy bastards" won.

ETA: ...or at least, didn't do badly out of the transaction. 

Edited by chromedome
added link (log)
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I am interested in this union to see how Amazon's "cheaper than anyone else" creed will impact the high prices at Whole Foods. 

Also, Amazon has tried, unsuccessfully, for years to get into the grocery/grocery delivery market and by having a Whole Foods be a delivery hub in various neighborhoods is quite brilliant.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver
clarity (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

I am interested in this union to see how Amazon's "cheaper than anyone else" creed will impact the high prices at Whole Foods. 

Also, Amazon has tried, unsuccessfully, for years to get into the grocery/grocery delivery market and by having a Whole Foods be a delivery hub in various neighborhoods is quite brilliant.

edited for clarity

My first thought was what the impact of Amazon's pricing, which is generally quite good, might have on WF's prices. Disclaimer: As there is not a WF in town, but there are three other quite good natural markets, I don't go there much. When I do, I generally peruse the "sample cheese" basket, the small pieces for less than three bucks, that will let me sample something I might otherwise be reluctant to purchase.

Will be interested to see how it develops.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

WF had already started rolling out their "365" stores with more affordable selections, so maybe they will keep going in that direction.

• Like 1

this will be very interesting to follow.

WF  is a tired , out of date sort of place   in my view

Bezos is thought by Some Who Might Know  

http://wealthtrack.com ]

to be a brilliant innovator   

many have said so , including 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

you can take it or leave it   ( the above )

WF  , should the deal go through , is going to wake up for sure !

there is still a ways to go , and the price will rise.

not a big deal for Amazon

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 months later...

Amazon Prime members may benefit the most from the Amazon-Whole Foods sale:

"Amazon Prime members will get even deeper discounts at Whole Foods"

As with most new Amazon initiatives, the company is folding its $99-per-year membership program into the Whole Foods mix. Amazon Prime customers will receive additional discounts on some Whole Foods products in the future. Once all the technical aspects are in place, Prime members will automatically be part of a Whole Foods customer rewards program that gives them discounts and other store perks. Amazon loves to add value to its Prime program in order to encourage as many people as possible to sign up, and it hopes that adding a Whole Foods component will lure new members to the program.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Too bad our closest Whole Foods is in Buffalo, NY—~150 miles away!  O.o

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Too bad our closest Whole Foods is in Buffalo, NY—~150 miles away!  O.o

Yup. What @DiggingDogFarm said—and that's a brand-new Whole Foods store that won't be open till the middle of next month. One's supposed to be coming in Rochester, which is only 75 miles away from me, but we drove by the site where it's supposed to be located a couple of weeks ago and didn't see anything resembling a building.

It's interesting to note that both these Whole Foods stores are located very close to the flagship Wegmans store in each city, so they're obviously trying to go head-to-head with the longstanding local, much-loved giant. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out, and how loyal the customers are.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I wondered if we Amazon customers north of the border would be forgotten or not. Apparently not

Link

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, weedy said:

It's probably the only part of Amazon's empire that's actually susceptible to that kind of pressure at the moment. Amazon as a whole is too big to be deterred -- it'd be like trying to use a popsicle stick as a rudder to turn a supertanker -- but WF as a shiny-new outpost? Yeah, that's a place where some pressure and adverse publicity might get a toehold, and take some of the luster off the acquisition.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

the USG as a proactive interest for Us

no longer exists and has not for quite some time.

WF used to be an Image sort of place

give us way too much or your money

and for sure , your are going to Feel Really Good.

no longer.

there is no longer a WF traditional image,

WF sucked that Dry and Lost.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I read an online article this morning that suggested one of the reasons Amazon bought Whole Foods was due to Amazon Prime.

Amazon will introduce in-store Whole Foods benefits to Amazon Prime members, thus, hopefully encouraging more customers to become Amazon Prime members.

Jeff Bezos may know what he's doing after all, eh? :B

Tim Oliver