• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatier's Hourly Wage

So today I tried to channel Kerry, while learning how to run the old Hillard enrober, but I felt more like Lucy!

I have never worked with a machine of that size. It's an old one, it has so many quarks, I was trying not to laugh (or cry). The people there have been doing this for years. I guess maybe I'll find my moment to shine when it comes to create new chocolates and recipes, but for now it's a humbling experience. 

So rusty, and I have always worked on my own, in chocolate at least.

On the plus side, I got the keys, so I can go in or stay later if I need to play a bit.

I did some house cleaning though, reorganize stuff, now I know a little more.🙄😏

Edited by Desiderio (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Vanessa

• 1 month later...

I have been going to the "other" job once a week in the past few weeks, and sometimes in the evenings after the museum job :-P. Yesterday I got to play with new (old) toys. It was fun and less daunting then the oldddd enrober machine, which I hope I never have to use again. The company is moving at the end of the year, apparently we are not taking anything to the new facility (because the two enrobers are so old and not up to code), he is buying new ones, just for the chocolate production. There are a couple of large tank tempering machines, which I would like to take with us, they need to be look at, but one is practically new! Anyway, I am thinking to take the leap around October, and I am also thinking of asking the owner to pay for a Melissa Coppel chocolate class as a signing bonus 😂, we'll see!

chocolate bars.jpg

chocolate bars1.jpg

• Like 1

Vanessa

• 3 weeks later...

I know there is at least one topic on setting up chocolate kitchen space here, any links?

The company will be moving by the end of the year in a new space, and I am hoping I will be able to design, at least in part, my chocolate laboratory. 

The current location is an old set up, based on old fashion candy making. We use a gas stove, more like a foundry, and copper kettles, I don't even have a regular stove or an induction burner. Production is kinda weird at the moment, very different from what I am use to. But with the new place I can set it up the way I want (at least I hope). I need some help figuring out what we need in the space in order to make it functional for production.

Thank you 🙂

Vanessa

The link on setting up a kitchen space was Bill Brown when he was setting up William Dean Chocolates in Florida. I know I've searched before and had trouble finding it.