• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Damn.  Don't get me wanting something I don't need!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Eat Your Books is running a give-away for a mini-Instant Pot and an Instant Pot cookbook.   Good for US and Canada.

Enter at this link.

I think winning that is the only chance that I'll get one of those little fellas.  

If I was going to buy a second IP -which I am not - I'd get a second 6 qt so all the liner, silicone rings and accessories would be interchangeable. 

But if I were to win that free one, I'd be very happy!

Hmm, it might fit in our Princess-mobile.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/08/2017 at 5:41 PM, lindag said:

I'm curious what your plans are for the mini...what will you make in a 3-at.

might be a good item for a singleton like me.

I don't really have specific plans for it.  That said, I can see using it to cook things like rice, oatmeal, yogurt, smaller batches of soups and the like.  There is just the two of us and often the big IP seemed like overkill for the amount of food I was cooking.  The other night i used the Mini to cook two pork chops which would have looked a bit lost in the regular IP.  Not much help, I know.

• Thanks 1

OK....so I am no longer an Instant Pot Virgin!
After the lamb shanks  (assisted by daughter), which were posted in the dinner thread, I think, I have ventured forth by myself without fear!
After forcing myself to be patient, I have been able to get browning on the meat!

Made a version of Beef Rendang - saucier than the traditional method, but just as flavourful and a lot less time involved. Used bone-in beef short ribs. I did 35 minutes on high pressure first, rapid release, then did another 35 minutes. Perfect!
                                                                    599265bc6771e_IPBeefRendang0755.jpg.17d8d843eb3e3579ed3a8dca90997b15.jpg

Then it was Beef stew - 35 minutes with carrots and celery. The corn-on-the-cob was done separately first - 10 minutes.
                                                                    599265bd2f265_IPBeefStew0226.jpg.3677d95861cc38cd17f40bdd4e5ddae9.jpg
Tonight, I used a pork roast recipe from the Internet but added my own twist. A friend gave me his Kaffir Lime tree, so i used fresh leaves, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, as the aromatics. The roast was a boneless rib roast reduced for quick sale. The roast was browned, taken out, browned the carrots and potatoes, taken out, then sauteed the chopped ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and lime leaves. 1.5 cups of chicken broth was used to bring up the brown bits, and the roast was laid on top of the "herbs". The meat was on high pressure for 15 minutes.  Waited for the pressure to release on its own, then the carrots and potatoes were added for 5 minutes. Left the pressure to release naturally. The aroma was amazing! Meat was juicy and tender, as were the taters and carrot.
                                                                    599265bdc1645_IPKaffirLimePorkRoast0776.jpg.7f80208229f385c2b24edab775af8840.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

OK...now I am wondering if photos of food should be posted here...or just comments? and photos to remain in "dinner thread"?

I commented on the dinner thread also that I'm sure it doesn't matter where you choose to post. For me it's easier to find a recipe or a method that relates to the Instant Pot if it is posted here!   Your meals, no matter where you post them,  always look quite delicious to me. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd like to make Mac and Cheese in the IP.  All the recipes I have been able to find use evaporated milk.  Is there something about evaporated milk that requires it to be used in the IP version of Mac and Cheese?  Can I use whipping cream or half and half or even just plain milk instead?  I detest evapourated milk.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I'd like to make Mac and Cheese in the IP.  All the recipes I have been able to find use evaporated milk.  Is there something about evaporated milk that requires it to be used in the IP version of Mac and Cheese?  Can I use whipping cream or half and half or even just plain milk instead?  I detest evapourated milk.

The disodium phosphate and carrageenan in evap milk help stabilize the sauce: 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/ideas-in-foods-macaroni-and-cheese.html

You could probably take the modernist cuisine route and add your own stabilizers but without them, the sauce will probably separate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weedy said:

In what way is this InstantPot version going to be better than making it the usual way ?

i am still trying to figure out what it is BETTER for

If by "better" you mean "better tasting," it's probably not going to be. On the other hand, you can make it in one pan instead of two and a colander to drain the macaroni. And you don't have to stand and stir. So it's definitely more convenient, and if you use a good recipe, it's as good as or better than many stove top mac and cheese versions.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, weedy said:

In what way is this InstantPot version going to be better than making it the usual way ?

i am still trying to figure out what it is BETTER for

No question in my mind:  Hard boiled eggs

They peel SO easy.

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The disodium phosphate and carrageenan in evap milk help stabilize the sauce: 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/ideas-in-foods-macaroni-and-cheese.html

You could probably take the modernist cuisine route and add your own stabilizers but without them, the sauce will probably separate.

Thank you.  I looked at the recipe in Modernists Cuisine @Home and they call for sodium citrate which is the only "odd" thing I saw.  Further reading led me to some info which stated that it kept the cheese from "melting" and becoming greasy.  I recall that there was a discussion on the forum about the cheese separating in Mac and cheese but I have never had a problem with that maybe because of the kind of cheese I use, which is a sharp processed cheddar (McLaren's Imperial Cheddar).  

I guess the only way to find out if I can make a Mac and Cheese in the IP without evapourated milk and with the cheese I normally use is to try it.  Does anyone have a tried and true IP recipe for mac and cheese they can point me to?

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I guess the only way to find out if I can make a Mac and Cheese in the IP without evapourated milk and with the cheese I normally use is to try it.  Does anyone have a tried and true IP recipe for mac and cheese they can point me to?

I've had good luck with this one

I use a really sharp aged cheddar, parm & a little gorgonzola.

And, of course, the dreaded evap milk :o

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've had good luck with this one

I use a really sharp aged cheddar, parm & a little gorgonzola.

And, of course, the dreaded evap milk :o

Thanks.  I'll try this recipe subbing the cheddar with my preferred cheese and regular milk for the evap. And see ehat happens.  

@ElsieD - If you want to try a small pilot batch of that mac & cheese,  I remember that I had success making a 1/4 sized batch using the pot-in-pot method.  I searched up my old post about it and saw that I noted that the mac wasn't quite done after 4 min so I gave it another 2 min at pressure.  @Anna N also reported needing a little extra time in this post. I'd imagine that might depend on the type of pasta you use.  

Good luck!

@blue_dolphin  I made the recipe you linked to and found that 4 minutes wasn't long enough to cook the pasta to the extent that we like it.  I cooked it on the sautè function for a few minutes to finish it.  I used half and half instead of the evap milk and used my regular Imperial cheese.  I did add a bit of water at the end to loosen it up a bit.  So, next time I will add 1 minute cooking time, use milk, the same cheese and add a bit of water if need be.  We enjoyed this version very much and it sure is easy.  I pan toasted panko in butter on the stove and sprinkled that over instead of using the broiler and we were happy with it.  As you can see,   nothing separated, the Mac and cheese was smooth and creamy. Thank you for posting the link.  

20170818_192910.jpg

• Like 10

its a bit difficult to see what you have

and I don't know what that '' thread or fiber is ""

Im not sure where you a re

why not call them ?

perhaps they have an 800 or toll free number ?

way back when for much smaller issues 

they were very helpful.

best of luck

Im sure they will help

pls let us know

how this is resolved.

I now am the bashful owner of three of these things and i don't have that problem.  Hope it stays that way.  I did have one pot replaced as it was running too hot on slow cook and they were extremely helpful and were quick to resolve the issue.