• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

It looks like a bad decoupage project by someone who's watched too much Martha Stewart (or too little, perhaps).

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

yeah, I think it's hideous. I couldn't believe it when I read the reviews, many of them going on about how lovely the design was. Then I noticed that many of them ended with this phrase:

I am writing this review as part of a contest.

xD

I have to emphasize that if I won this thing, I'd donate it pronto.

And secretly, because I wouldn't want anyone to know it originated with me. :ph34r:

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, curls said:

I wasn't quite sure the Pioneer Woman floral Instant Pot was a real thing... so I googled and it is real and there is more than one floral pattern available. Wow! https://www.today.com/food/pioneer-woman-new-instantpot-collection-walmart-t137392

If the blue one appeared in my house I would have to wear shades all the time to preserve my eyesight— what little is left of it.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Y'know, I'm not crazy about her housewares line, but the woman has made a lot of money with her schtick. I tend to think her writing is a bit overblown 80s sorority girl, but that's OK too, I guess.

And her husband does have a nice butt, which she photographs right regularly. I approve of that.

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

of note : the floral iPot seems to be a Vversion

maybe iPot was stuck w a lot of these after they came out w V , the one w the handles that also hold the top.

a vast improvement

Soooooo      ......................................

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Y'know, I'm not crazy about her housewares line, but the woman has made a lot of money with her schtick. I tend to think her writing is a bit overblown 80s sorority girl, but that's OK too, I guess.

And her husband does have a nice butt, which she photographs right regularly. I approve of that.

And according to Wikipedia he's also worth  $200M.

Edited by lindag (log)

• 2 weeks later...

What is the consensus on the best way to do hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot? I did a search, and found it frustrating to find what I'm looking for given that the search doesn't understand abbreviations.

FWIW, I have US size Large eggs, and they're currently in the refrigerator.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

6 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

What is the consensus on the best way to do hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot? I did a search, and found it frustrating to find what I'm looking for given that the search doesn't understand abbreviations.

The following method has never failed me:

Large eggs directly from fridge

1 C. water in the IP

Place eggs on the grate thingy that came with the IP

Close lid and vent

Low pressure

5 minutes

Natural release

Place eggs in ice/cold water

• Like 4

Daube de joues de bœuf aux carottes et coquillettes (beef cheek stew with carottes and elbow pasta)

I adapted Yves Camdeborde’s recipe to the pressure cooker - 1 hour on high, natural release. It was incredible! The meat was extremely tender and the sauce as rich and satisfying as I remembered from having the dish at the Comptoir in Paris.

I got the meat from my favorite butcher shop, Siesel’s.  

Beef cheek daube with carrots #pressurecooker #instantpot #beefcheeks #yvescamdeborde

Beef cheek daube with carrots #pressurecooker #instantpot #beefcheeks #yvescamdeborde

Going into the pressure cooker

After 1 hour

Plated (I added some parsley for color)

• Like 9

On 9/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, MelissaH said:

When I was testing eggs for my book, I found them to be really temperamental. For me, this is what works: eggs right from the fridge on the trivet, 1 cup of water, 4 to 5 minutes high pressure. Quick release then into an ice bath to cool. But if I ever did anything different, I got different results. One time I just used a different trivet (taller) and the eggs were more like soft boiled. I hate to say it since I'm working on a new Instant Pot book, but when I need to hard cook eggs, I use a regular steamer. After the water comes to a boil, 13 minutes results in yolks cooked to solid pale yellow. 10 minutes gets you yolks that are dark orange and soft in the center.

• Like 6

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have experienced IP challenges with boiled eggs. I thought I was the only one who couldn't nail it consistently 🙃

39 minutes ago, JAZ said:

I use a regular steamer. After the water comes to a boil, 13 minutes results in yolks cooked to solid pale yellow. 10 minutes gets you yolks that are dark orange and soft in the center.

That's what I do as well.  It's quick because you're only boiling an inch or so of water and 8 min in the steamer and into an ice bath gives me a soft jammy yolk.

• Like 2

Now that IP hard cooked eggs have come up again it’s reminded me that I have a question. Has anyone else had “self peeling” eggs? This was about the third time it’s happened. I’ve not had more than 2 eggs per batch do it. 

I’m doing 1c water, 6 to 9 eggs direct from refrigerator, on IP trivet, 5 minutes on high, 5 minutes natural release, ice water. Shell is “popped” like that when I open the IP. Always come out perfectly done. Thoughts, theories and insights welcome! 

52B2E13F-F7CF-4831-BC0D-F2B4C2C3CACC.jpeg

5A2D3E10-103D-47A1-B154-8A656CECA441.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Now that IP hard cooked eggs have come up again it’s reminded me that I have a question. Has anyone else had “self peeling” eggs? This was about the third time it’s happened. I’ve not had more than 2 eggs per batch do it

Wow. If you could find a way to replicate that consistently I think you could retire with a very healthy bank account. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog