• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

@Smithy 

consider looking into a beer-cooler

inexpensive   very light

looking at my extensive collection of BC's for SV

there is a Coleman 9 qt  and a 16 qt

and then there is Igloo another fine brand

I use an Anova in these   ( blue-T and WiFi  w/o WF ) and they easy fit.

you have to check the clamp with on your Joule

the 9 qt needs 11.2 "

and the 16 QT  13.6

prices from Amazon and Target vary enough to get a free Target Red Card

( and don't work for them )

as you get 5 % off and free shipping no mater the amount

once you try a BeerCooler

that's gong to be your preferred SV vessel 

• Like 2

The IP is busy cooking apples for apple butter. Which is not what I ought to be doing two days before T'giving, but the apples did not wish me to wait.

Still, i have tomorrow to get the rest of it done.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I realize I am very late to the IP party, however; after seeing so many interesting meals on this forum, coupled with Walmart's black Friday sale @ $49, I am feeling tempted to get one.

However what prevents me is a voice in my head asking - which I relay to all of you IP gurus - I have various cooking vessels which I am fairly adept with, and more often than not am not in time constraints.

I have no experience with pressure cookers or slow cookers (the former I have no experience or knowledge with, the latter I simply use my Le Creuset when the need arises).

Curious to hear some thoughts as to the overall benefits/sales points of this unit.  It is more so the space it will take up than the investment itself.  I just want to make sure I would actually use the sucker.

I did not see true 7 - in one duo on sale at Walmart

this is the one you want ;

https://www.target.com/p/instant-pot-7-in-1-pressure-cooker-6-qt-stainless-steel/-/A-50608360#lnk=sametab

at Target w their REedCard  ( free credit card )  the price drops to $ 80 USD and you get an additional 5 % off purchase w the RC

it does a lot of things  very easily 

you mentioned time is not an issue for you

it does a number of things better and other methods :

pressure steaming.  you need to get a 3d party basket

PS veg of all kinds keep the flavors in the veg and its also easy and quick

PS  eggs  18 at a time is also wonderful

Soups / stocks    very easy and quick

the best mashed potatoes ive ever made come from pressure-stewed russets  sliced into lg chunks  skin on then

placed back in the main pan after the 1 cup of water was tossed and mashed.

all the components of a CornedBeef dinner  Ex meat  ( my pref , others think its fine )  are easy and reliable in stock that comes from the

SV  Cb's which you use as a base + eater for the potatoes , carrots and cabbage.   you thicken this broth for a wonderful gravy

I don't know if Amazon has the 7 - 1 on sale  or other vendors.

the 7 - 1 is worth it for sure.

its 85 at amazon

but as I not a prime member i won't know if they drop it down over the next few days.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks rotuts - very informative.

After some digging, this is the model they are offering @ $49 -

6-qt. Instant Pot 6-In-14 Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker

Model #: 31427652

Canadian Tire, as mentioned elsewhere, apparently has the DUO for $69

From what I can determine the difference is the 2 pressure modes in the DUO?

18 minutes ago, TicTac said:

From what I can determine the difference is the 2 pressure modes in the DUO?

The IP models are sort of confusing.  This listing from hippressurecooking.com is a good overall comparison.  You can read through the detailed text or scroll down for the comparison table.

It looks like the walmart.ca item # you mention above (31427652) is Instant Pot model IP-LUX60 V3.

You are correct that the DUO has 2 pressure modes.  I'm  not sure exactly what Canadian tire is listing but if it's the 7-in-1, then it also has the yogurt function. 

I agree with @rotuts that the 7-in-1 DUO is worth the extra money.

The Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 arrived today. cool.gif

The Wilton Excelle Elite 6 x 2-3/4 Inch Springform Pan fits it perfectly! :)

I'll be making savory cheesecake very soon! :D

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'll be making savory cheesecake very soon! :D

Congratulations. Will be anxiously awaiting your report. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

I realize I am very late to the IP party, however; after seeing so many interesting meals on this forum, coupled with Walmart's black Friday sale @ $49, I am feeling tempted to get one.

However what prevents me is a voice in my head asking - which I relay to all of you IP gurus - I have various cooking vessels which I am fairly adept with, and more often than not am not in time constraints.

I have no experience with pressure cookers or slow cookers (the former I have no experience or knowledge with, the latter I simply use my Le Creuset when the need arises).

Curious to hear some thoughts as to the overall benefits/sales points of this unit.  It is more so the space it will take up than the investment itself.  I just want to make sure I would actually use the sucker.

Give in to the dark side...just get it.

You know you want to.

:P

34 minutes ago, Beebs said:

Give in to the dark side...just get it.

You know you want to.

:P

I do - and I probably will.  Never owned a slow cooker let alone a PC; very curious to see what it can do.  At $70, its worth a shot!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TicTac said:

Thank you @blue_dolphin - I am quite intrigued by the potential of making our own yogurt - it appears to take on a thick Greek like yogurt consistency which I prefer.

I'm still undecided about picking one up. As much as y'all are really giving yours a workout, I'm not entirely persuaded that I'll actually use it much. Oddly, it's the yogurt function that might tip the balance. I've often toyed with the notion of buying a yogurt-maker, but just couldn't bring myself to spring for another single-use gizmo. The IP would scratch that itch, and anything else I eventually do with it would be a bonus. 

Of course aficionados typically describe the Vitamix machine as "life-changing," and I use mine to, uh...crush ice.

Occasionally.

So I'm still hesitant... 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here.

The inventor of the Instant Pot is looking for even greatest sales on Black Friday this year than last year. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Amazon has a Black Friday special on the 8-quart Instant Pot.    $81.99

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have an IP and a Fagor PC.

The fagor gets up to temp faster, can hold more... but requires a bit of watching.

The IP has all these functions that I don't use...I have a rice maker...I don't find risotto a trial etc. But I can ignore it while it makes stock for 2 hours and that's something.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, gfweb said:

I have an IP and a Fagor PC.

The fagor gets up to temp faster, can hold more... but requires a bit of watching.

The IP has all these functions that I don't use...I have a rice maker...I don't find risotto a trial etc. But I can ignore it while it makes stock for 2 hours and that's something.

I HAD a Fagor up until last Saturday.  It suffered a fatal accident when I pulled the Griddler off the shelf next to it, caught the power cord and it flew off the shelf, did an impressive flip and landed on its top.  The handle broke into three large pieces and a few smaller bits and there were cracks across the rest of the top.  I salvaged the pan and the inner seal, just in case they might come in handy in the future.  

I bought the IP right at the end of the sale.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@gfweb

consider pressure steaming

you will need this :

RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Wide Rim 8 inch Mesh Basket, 3-Quart capacity

its humiliating you might get it for a whole dollar less than I did.

you do have to bend the handles so it fits in .

why pressure steam ?

flavor stays in the veg    i.e. pressure steamed russets w the skin left on make the finest mashed potatoes ever made.

Q.E.D.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2