• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

On 7/22/2017 at 6:57 AM, Anna N said:

Not even a baby. But.....

But it's so cute!  xD

• Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My daughter asked me to make some deviled eggs and some egg salad for the family and friends. Today I cooked 24 eggs (in batches) in the Instant Pot  and peeled every one of them without so much as an abrasion. 

These were fresh eggs from Costco.

I took them from the fridge and placed them on the trivet that comes with the pot. I adjusted the pressure to low, set the timer for three minutes and let the pressure drop for 10 minutes.  I then plunged them into an ice bath. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I took them from the fridge and placed them on the trivet that comes with the pot. I adjusted the pressure to low, set the timer for three minutes and let the pressure drop for 10 minutes.  I then plunged them into an ice bath. 

I think the amount of water you added, how many eggs per batch are both critical parts of the equation, too. I have often thought about trying that, but have not yet tried.

HC

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I think the amount of water you added, how many eggs per batch are both critical parts of the equation, too. I have often thought about trying that, but have not yet tried.

HC

I used one and a half cups of water and my batches ranged from 6 to 10 eggs and it didn't make any difference in the peeling at all.   I emptied out any remaining water between batches. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/7/2017 at 6:31 PM, palo said:

Here are the toys that I found for my instant pot. Because I live in Costa Rica, I can neither find things for it here nor can I order them from Amazon. I found these in my favorite little Chinese supply store. It's a double Chinese steamer that I paid $12 for and each rack was a dollar a piece.

20170903_151119.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, lindag said:

I just watched the video for this recipe: Pressure cooker beef and broccoli.

Looks so easy and delicious.  I'm going to dig out that flank steak hidden in the freezer and try it tomorrow!

I can't watch the video because of my stupid HughesNet restrictions (I tried to update a phone today that ate a lot of my bandwidth allowance) but anyway, I make beef and broccoli in the IP a lot and we LOVE it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Here are the toys that I found for my instant pot. Because I live in Costa Rica, I can neither find things for it here nor can I order them from Amazon. I found these in my favorite little Chinese supply store. It's a double Chinese steamer that I paid $12 for and each rack was a dollar a piece.

20170903_151119.jpg

Actually, the accessories are appropriate to the product because my instant pot is a Chinese knockoff supposedly by Telstar. But it has nothing to do with Telstar it's just a knock off. I love it anyway. It has 15 settings plus manual and I haven't even figured out what three quarters of them do. I got it just because my old Oster pressure cooker blew up and I needed a new pressure cooker. I didn't realize what I had until I got on the Internet to try and figure it out how to use it. The manual that came with it was written by some poor Chinese person who had a limited knowledge of English, and apparently no knowledge at all of the product he was writing about. Since I've learned to use it, I use it almost everyday. Right now, you can see that I have a cheesecake cooling in it.

20170903_151751.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Actually, the accessories are appropriate to the product because my instant pot is a Chinese knockoff supposedly by Telstar. But it has nothing to do with Telstar it's just a knock off. I love it anyway. It has 15 settings plus manual and I haven't even figured out what three quarters of them do. I got it just because my old Oster pressure cooker blew up and I needed a new pressure cooker. I didn't realize what I had until I got on the Internet to try and figure it out how to use it. The manual that came with it was written by some poor Chinese person who had a limited knowledge of English, and apparently no knowledge at all of the product he was writing about. Since I've learned to use it, I use it almost everyday. Right now, you can see that I have a cheesecake cooling in it.

20170903_151751.jpg

20170903_154321.jpg

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Tropicalsenior  that looks great.  What kind of cheesecake is it?

It's a New York cheesecake. I took the initial procedure from this website.  https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/

I did change the recipe to suit myself because I like the cake to be a bit denser than it turned out the first time. I would be happy to post my recipe if you would like it.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 8:51 PM, Doofa said:

Please do post the recipe. New York cheesecake is my favourite. I have to modify the recipe as I'm a Coeliac

I don't pretend to understand this disease but you certainly have my sympathy. It must be terrible to live with, especially if you love food.

I don't see why this recipe couldn't be modified. Just use any gluten free cookie for the crust and the flour can be left out of the filling or substituted with any gluten free flour. The cake will just be a little more creamy. I have made this cake four times and it has been perfect each time.

Instant Pot New York Cheesecake

Crust
3/4 cup any type of shortbread cookie (crushed)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
16 oz cream cheese room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon peel grated
2 eggs room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1 pinch salt
Sour Cream Layer
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave and add to cookie mixture. Pulse until just combined.
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 8-inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
Filling
Blend together cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.
Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom of your pressur cooker and place a trivet inside the pot.
Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
Place cheesecake into pressure cooker.
Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 35 minutes. Allow a 20 minute natural release.
After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and leave the cake the cooker. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
Sour Cream Layer
Whisk together the sour cream and sugar and then spread on the hot cheesecake.  Let cool inside the pressure cooker for at least one hour.
Tightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.  Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.

Note: the gentler that you treat the ingredients, the denser the cake will be. If you want a creamier cheesecake whip the cream cheese sugar and sour cream together, but never whip in the eggs. This will cause air bubbles in the cake that you do not want!

As I said, I took the procedure and most of the recipe from this website: https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/  and it is well worth reading her instructions and tips at this site: https://thisoldgal.com/perfect-pressure-cooker-cheesecake-tips/

20170903_154321.jpg

( I have made a change in the directions of this recipe. It noted before in the directions for the filling to blend cream cheese with heavy cream. I have corrected this to sour cream.)

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Error in directions (log)
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The manual that came with it was written by some poor Chinese person who had a limited knowledge of English, and apparently no knowledge at all of the product he was writing about. Since I've learned to use it, I use it almost everyday. Right now, you can see that I have a cheesecake cooling in it.

My late wife bought a bread machine back when they were very new, and the manual was rather sketchy (this was long enough ago you'd still get that from relatively high-profile Japanese companies). She wrote them a letter explaining that "gas squeeze-out," while accurate in its way, was not the term native English-speakers used to describe punching down the dough. She ended up being hired to re-write the manual (she'd previously done technical writing, though in the computer industry). 

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Dinner yesterday included three of four dishes made at least partially in the Instant Pot:

Carnitas, using the recipe in Hip Pressure Cooking, here. I used the 7-pound pork shoulder roast I'd picked up at Aldi, cut it into six big chunks, marinated in dry rub overnight in the fridge, browned and added water, cooked for 90 minutes manual and NPR'd. Perfect shredding texture. Damn near filled up my six quart pot.

59ad74cacbcf3_porkroast0903.jpg.088d684cab1ca488d361c720be04042e.jpg

59ad74d7f1061_carnitas0903.jpg.ea28692252b1899bca6920a407884ea0.jpg

Refried beans. 

59ad74ef3750c_refriedbeans0903.jpg.18e34542f90cce82825accf88ea7566a.jpg

Sauteed a finely minced onion and some garlic in the pot; added a one-pound bag of Rancho Gordo cranberry beans and six cups of water, along with about a teaspoon of smoked paprika and a half-teaspoon of cumin. Cooked on the "beans" setting, upping the time to 45 minutes. Added a teaspoon and a half of salt, mashed with a potato masher, transferred to a skilled and cooked down. Just damn near perfect.

59ad756abd133_tacodayplate0903.jpg.8477f154beb36029ff1726cbc22184ed.jpg

And Mexican rice. I forget the link for the recipe, and it doesn't matter, because it wasn't very good. No matter. There was plenty of everything else. I have more than a pound of carnitas and lots of beans left. We pretty much decimated the tomato/street corn pie.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Dinner yesterday included three of four dishes made at least partially in the Instant Pot:

Carnitas, using the recipe in Hip Pressure Cooking, here. I used the 7-pound pork shoulder roast I'd picked up at Aldi, cut it into six big chunks, marinated in dry rub overnight in the fridge, browned and added water, cooked for 90 minutes manual and NPR'd. Perfect shredding texture.

I can't really tell how large those chunks were, but I'm surprised that it took 90 minutes to cook them. I generally cut pork shoulder up into chunks or strips about 2-3 inches thick and it's done in 25 minutes (with natural release). It's always easy to pull into chunks or shred, but stays very moist. What was the texture like?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JAZ said:

I can't really tell how large those chunks were, but I'm surprised that it took 90 minutes to cook them. I generally cut pork shoulder up into chunks or strips about 2-3 inches thick and it's done in 25 minutes (with natural release). It's always easy to pull into chunks or shred, but stays very moist. What was the texture like?

It was perfect. Had a little bit of chew, not mushy, but very tender. I always err  on the side of going more time instead of less with pot roasts, shoulder roasts and the like; I'd rather have them fall-apart tender than not. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

45 minutes ago, JAZ said:

I can't really tell how large those chunks were, but I'm surprised that it took 90 minutes to cook them. I generally cut pork shoulder up into chunks or strips about 2-3 inches thick and it's done in 25 minutes (with natural release). It's always easy to pull into chunks or shred, but stays very moist.

The recipe I've been using for IP pork shoulder says 90 min also so that's what I've been using and hadn't thought of trying to shorten it up.  Good to know that's an option if I need my pork fix in a hurry:D  

I usually get a 6-7 lb chunk and cut it into 3 pieces so they each weigh ~ 2 -2.5 lbs.

Has anyone had trouble with their instant pot inner pot seeming to take on a flavor? I attempted chicken stock a while back with the remains of a rotisserie chicken, and something about the flavor in the chicken just Did Not Work in a stock. And now the whole inner pot seems to have a faint aroma of that even though it's been cleaned well. I'm nervous about using it in case it makes something else smelly. (I don't detect a smell on the sealing ring but I'm ordering a new one of those too just in case.)

Maybe if I mix some baking soda and water and heat it up in the pot?

Tonite was ribs, corn, spuds and garlicky green beans:
1/2 cup of water whole beans on the steamer rack salt and 0minutes manual high pressure with a quick release. I put them in ice water to shock them and finish making dinner. Then I used the Instant pot on saute added butter and olive oil garlic and salt then tossed the beans in until warmed through DELISH!
Ribs and Spuds: Season and coil in pot, add whole spuds and 1/2 can of beer Manual high pressure for 25 minutes with 10 minute natural pressure release, brush with your favourite bbq sauce and grill for a bit on each side.
Corn in four minutes easy peasy

21231725_10154812324377703_899914200097711916_n.jpg

21232104_10154812324312703_5789481246792724510_n.jpg

21317498_10154812324382703_243103750483473572_n.jpg

• Like 11

23 hours ago, chromedome said:

She ended up being hired to re-write the manual (she'd previously done technical writing, though in the computer industry). 

In Costa Rica, so many of our products come directly from China and reading the instruction manuals can be very entertaining. I think probably one of the funniest we ever found was this, " look at her face, punch her 3 times, and sit on her". That was in the instructions for setting a digital alarm clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Maybe if I mix some baking soda and water and heat it up in the pot?

As I have said before, I have a Chinese knockoff that has a ceramic pot and I have had it take on an odor a couple times. I go in the backyard and get a lemon and some lemon leaves and cook them on high for 5 minutes. After I wash and rinse it again the odor is completely gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mmmpomps   You continue to amaze me with your innovative use of the Instant Pot. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

As I have said before, I have a Chinese knockoff that has a ceramic pot and I have had it take on an odor a couple times. I go in the backyard and get a lemon and some lemon leaves and cook them on high for 5 minutes. After I wash and rinse it again the odor is completely gone.

No lemon leaves handy around these parts, but I can do a lemon. I will try that when I get home. :)