Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Okanagancook

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

I don't see the mini on Amazon US, is It only avaiable in Canada?

 

If you click on the link a few posts up it will take you to the mini on Amazon.com.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bah!

 

Mine is still resting comfortably in it's shipping box. Haven't had a chance to open it and read the manual.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have the new Duo Plus 9-in-1 6 qt. Instant Pot? I have a quick question about how it differs from the plain Duo version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take a look 2 posts up.

 

its a ref. to deals

 

you can d/l the instruction manual

 

i have not used it yet.

 

It has more buttons , and each has three setting  which Im guessing are time related.

 

it remembers the last setting you used for each button
 

for instance :

 

A.thumb.jpg.3a6104c2b05798ca37e2fb4258ca3dd9.jpg

 

A2.thumb.jpg.9e7ca032797d9a0150176df8d3d8de9c.jpg

 

a3.thumb.jpg.67776a72e845810c1ce69d8637e92341.jpg

 

A4.thumb.jpg.7288a03440c20b6b24cf28d33e7f66fb.jpg

 

A5.thumb.jpg.a17f2feada7cfd2f7b620ac4ced810b1.jpg

 

if you look closely at the last button , it may have three pressure settings but that last part is unclear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I did see the specs on the website, but didn't think to download the manual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JAZ  

 

I also don't know if there is an adjustment for higher altitudes.

 

Im at 100 ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I make IP polenta, I usually make extra so I can let the leftovers firm up for fried or broiled polenta but today, I thought I'd see if I could make a single serving AND to it in a dish suitable for serving/eating from. 

1/4 cup polenta + 1 cup water + 1/4 t salt, 15 min manual, high pressure, slow release. I was a little worried that it might boil up and overflow.

IMG_5824.thumb.jpg.22b936887007c582cf0baf2688e3fc3d.jpg

 

But as you can see below, it it not:

IMG_5825.thumb.jpg.3c41add16ef3c7e1652fe287a86127e7.jpg

 

Topped with broccoli, fried egg and Parmesan for breakfast. 

IMG_5826.thumb.jpg.793be16aa34bfab7b083f3ecb8ff396f.jpg

 

Successful IP experiment!

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

When I make IP polenta, I usually make extra so I can let the leftovers firm up for fried or broiled polenta but today, I thought I'd see if I could make a single serving AND to it in a dish suitable for serving/eating from. 

1/4 cup polenta + 1 cup water + 1/4 t salt, 15 min manual, high pressure, slow release. I was a little worried that it might boil up and overflow.

  Must, must try this. It is on my list for tomorrow. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just made my first batch of pinto beans in the IP. Rinsed and soaked 1 lb. of beans for one hour. Sautéed 1 cup diced onion and 3 cloves minced garlic, in 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings, in the pot, just until softened. Added drained beans, 1 cup pork bone broth, 4 cups water and 3 dried red chile peppers to pot and cooked at High Pressure for 20 minutes. Then Natural Release for 25 minutes. Tasted for seasoning and added salt. Covered the pot with glass lid and simmered for 20 minutes on slow cook setting. Very happy with the results!


Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@robirdstx, I also find that your method of cooking with pressure first, followed by a nice simmer works really well for dried beans. 

Edited to add that if I just use pressure alone, the beans seem like canned beans.  That extra simmer really brings out a better texture and flavor.  


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@robirdstx, I also find that your method of cooking with pressure first, followed by a nice simmer works really well for dried beans. 

Edited to add that if I just use pressure alone, the beans seem like canned beans.  That extra simmer really brings out a better texture and flavor.  

 

 

I got the method from reading your post in an earlier part of this topic! :D So, thank you!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what possessed me on this, our fourth day of summer, to develop a craving for lasagna, a dish we here in the great white north normally associate with colder weather.  Or at least this household does.  So I made IP lasagna, but broiled the cheese topping so it wouldn't look quite as anemic.

20170731_194446.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I don't know what possessed me on this, our fourth day of summer, to develop a craving for lasagna, a dish we here in the great white north normally associate with colder weather.  Or at least this household does.  So I made IP lasagna, but broiled the cheese topping so it wouldn't look quite as anemic.

20170731_194446.jpg

 

Maybe it's what's got hold of me lately.  I'm already tired of 'summer foods'..although they're good I'm beginning to crave hearty soups.  It's the cold weather roasted and braised foods that speak to me most.

I keep thinking about Kale-potato-sausage soup and it's hot, hot, hot here along with super low humidity and range fires and smoke around us.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ElsieD  

 

if you have the time Id like a few more details on iP'd lasagna

 

what pot did you use ?

 

looks terrific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rotuts  I used a 7 inch springtime pan.  High pressure 20 minutes, NPR 20 minutes, removed from IP, put under the broiler to brown the top, let sit 10 minutes, serve.  I found out the hard way that even using a non-stick  pan, it Is still wise to spray with Pam first.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ElsieD  

 

any particular lasagna Rx ?

 

or one you've been using for some time ?

 

Ive had reservations about Meat in the iP

 

goes counter-current to my Studies in SV.

 

however , using ground meat , and in my case  ground turkey

 

Ive made Mighty Fine   Turkey Ragu-ish in the iPot and will continue to do this

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IP lasagna sounds like just the sort of thing to get my husband's daughter more interested in learnig to work her electric cooker - I think it's a Cuisinart version of the IP.  (Impulse buy; I'm not sure whether she or her MIL bought it, but she's leery of it.)  @ElsieD, the more information you give us, the more grateful @rotuts and I will be. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rotuts and @Smithy  Here is the recipe.  Nothing fancy but it works for us.


Instant Pot Lasagna Pie
 
Note:  all ingredients are raw.  I used a 7" springform pan
 
6 Dry flat (no curly edges) lasagna noodles (regular, not oven ready)
500 ml pasta sauce (reduce first to thicken it a bit)
150 gm Ricotta cheese
1 t dried basil
Salt and pepper
1 small egg
1/2 cup grated parmessan cheese plus a bit more for the topping
150 gm mozzerella
2  Italian sausage (300 gm.)
 
 
IMPORTANT:  SPRAY A 7" SPRINGFORM PAN. 
 
Mix ricotta, basil, parmesan, egg together along with some salt and pepper.
 
Soak noodles in boiling water to make them easier to cut to fit.
 
Put a couple of spoonfuls of sauce in bottom of pan.  Cover with 1 layer of noodles.
 
Cover with:
 
1/2 of ricotta mixture,
half the sausage
sprinkle with some mozz
put sauce over that.
 
Repeat
 
Add top layer of noodles,  add sauce and sprinkle with mozz cheese then some parm.
 
Cover with greased aluminum foil. Place on trivet in IP with 1.5 cups water.
 
Cook 20 mins on manual HP, then natural release for 20 minutes.
 
Let sit 10 mins before removing sides of pan and serving.
 
4 layers sauce
3 layers mozz
2 layers ricotta
1 layer parm
Calories:1969

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@rotuts and @Smithy  Here is the recipe.  Nothing fancy but it works for us.


Instant Pot Lasagna Pie
 
Note:  all ingredients are raw.  I used a 7" springform pan
 
6 Dry flat (no curly edges) lasagna noodles (regular, not oven ready)
500 ml pasta sauce (reduce first to thicken it a bit)
150 gm Ricotta cheese
1 t dried basil
Salt and pepper
1 small egg
1/2 cup grated parmessan cheese plus a bit more for the topping
150 gm mozzerella
2  Italian sausage (300 gm.)
 
 
IMPORTANT:  SPRAY A 7" SPRINGFORM PAN. 
 
Mix ricotta, basil, parmesan, egg together along with some salt and pepper.
 
Soak noodles in boiling water to make them easier to cut to fit.
 
Put a couple of spoonfuls of sauce in bottom of pan.  Cover with 1 layer of noodles.
 
Cover with:
 
1/2 of ricotta mixture,
half the sausage
sprinkle with some mozz
put sauce over that.
 
Repeat
 
Add top layer of noodles,  add sauce and sprinkle with mozz cheese then some parm.
 
Cover with greased aluminum foil. Place on trivet in IP with 1.5 cups water.
 
Cook 20 mins on manual HP, then natural release for 20 minutes.
 
Let sit 10 mins before removing sides of pan and serving.
 
4 layers sauce
3 layers mozz
2 layers ricotta
1 layer parm
Calories:1969

 

 

 

Can I assume you made a foil sling to get the springform pan out of the pot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lindag said:

 

Can I assume you made a foil sling to get the springform pan out of the pot?

 

That is a very good question. What do people do about lifting those springform pans when they're hot?

 

@ElsieD, thank you for that recipe. I now have a plan for one dinner, when our family wood-splitting party comes up in a couple of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use a foil sling.  The trivet has handles and I lift the trivet with the pan on it by the trivet's handles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin  I am lacking skill and patience so I finally just decided to ask you.  Could you please re-post how you do your grits in the IP?  I've searched and I can't find your method that I know you've probably typed out more than once.  Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@blue_dolphin  I am lacking skill and patience so I finally just decided to ask you.  Could you please re-post how you do your grits in the IP?  I've searched and I can't find your method that I know you've probably typed out more than once.  Thank you in advance.

This what you are looking for?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×