• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Okanagancook

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Can someone please tell me the temperature inside the Instant Pot during yogurt incubation?  I'm not talking about the "BOIL" phase but the incubation step.  I ask because I have to make my next batch manually or go back to store-bought. I'm loathe to give up the yogurt culture so lovingly developed with the help of my IP. I know the manual method shouldn't be worrisome - people have done it for centuries - but I never succeeded in making yogurt until I got the Instant Pot.

(There's nothing wrong with the pot. I'm off the electrical grid at present and don't want to run the generator for hours.)

E6E82169-E2BA-4876-8ADA-2F4FE6BB72BA.thumb.jpeg.bb80992c5bcab8a0cf510781c7d626df.jpeg

This help? It is from the instant pot manual. 

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

E6E82169-E2BA-4876-8ADA-2F4FE6BB72BA.thumb.jpeg.bb80992c5bcab8a0cf510781c7d626df.jpeg

This help? It is from the instant pot manual. 

Thanks for that.  Letting it cool below 115F is necessary information, but I also want to know the temperature that the pot maintains during the "Normal" mode. I believe "Normal" amounts to a temperature specification, but I don't know what that temperature is.  

Edited by Smithy Clarity (log)

Sorry. Apparently I don’t understand the question.  I hope somebody else jumps in and helps you out. But try this.  Will have to scroll down to the yogurt setting

Click

I did some googling and according to Laura of hippressurecooking, the temperature is between 110 - 115F.  If you like, i can plug mine in, set it to the yogurt function and test it.  

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sorry. Apparently I don’t understand the question.  I hope somebody else jumps in and helps you out. But try this.  Will have to scroll down to the yogurt setting

Click

Thank you, that's very helpful. It gives me a target temperature range for what my pot should be doing: around 107F.

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did some googling and according to Laura of hippressurecooking, the temperature is between 110 - 115F.  If you like, i can plug mine in, set it to the yogurt function and test it.  

Thank you - that range is close to the 107F that is cited in Anna's link - but yes, if you have time and inclination I'd love to get your measured temperature in the 3-quart (mini) pot.

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thank you, that's very helpful. It gives me a target temperature range for what my pot should be doing: around 107F.

Thank you - that range is close to the 107F that is cited in Anna's link - but yes, if you have time and inclination I'd love to get your measured temperature in the 3-quart (mini) pot.

Just put on a quart of water and I have my Thermapen at the ready.  I 'll get back to you.

@Smithy  the water in the mini was 105 at the 35 minute mark and wavered berween 105 and 106 at 46 minutes.

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  the water in the mini was 105 at the 35 minute mark and wavered berween 105 and 106 at 46 minutes.

Beautiful, thank you!  Now I have an idea what temperature to shoot for during my yogurt incubation.  In the oven, with the pilot light on, may work well here. I'll have the pot wrapped for insulation as well.

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Beautiful, thank you!  Now I have an idea what temperature to shoot for during my yogurt incubation.  In the oven, with the pilot light on, may work well here. I'll have the pot wrapped for insulation as well.

Maybe wrap a towel or two around the container?  I haven't tried it but my sister does this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'm loathe to give up the yogurt culture so lovingly developed with the help of my IP.

If you are able to keep things frozen,  you can freeze your culture in small jars and keep it for several months. In fact, it is a good idea to always keep some of your culture in the freezer as a backup. I found a little jar in the back of my freezer that I think had been there for about 2 years. I thawed it out and it worked perfectly. This also works great for sourdough starter. Hope you're back on the grid soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If you are able to keep things frozen,  you can freeze your culture in small jars and keep it for several months. In fact, it is a good idea to always keep some of your culture in the freezer as a backup. I found a little jar in the back of my freezer that I think had been there for about 2 years. I thawed it out and it worked perfectly. This also works great for sourdough starter. Hope you're back on the grid soon.

Thank you for that information!  I didn't know that could be done with yogurt culture.  Is there a minimum amount you'd recommend in order to reseed the next culture?

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thank you for that information!  I didn't know that could be done with yogurt culture.  Is there a minimum amount you'd recommend in order to reseed the next culture?

My recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of yogurt culture. I always saved mine in some little caper jars that are 3.5 oz size. Small jars thaw quicker in a cup of warm water.

• Like 1

I thought I'd mention that The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric is on sale for $2.99 US for the Kindle version. 

It's written by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, whom you may know from some of their other books - they are fairly prolific writers. And overall, it doesn't look like a bad book if you have an Instant Pot and are looking for some suggestions and/or guidance. It says 500 recipes, but some are slight variations on earlier ones.