• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Host's note: this topic is continued from Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 4).

I have a question.  I am cooking for a large group who are attending our second fund raising dinner for our Syrian refugee family who need a car.  My plan is to cook the plain rice pasta style then toss in a little butter and refrigerate for a day.  On the day of the dinner the rice will go in two instapots on the warm setting to heat up.  How long do you think it will take to reheat a full instapot of rice?  Thanking you in advance.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I have a question.  I am cooking for a large group who are attending our second fund raising dinner for our Syrian refugee family who need a car.  My plan is to cook the plain rice pasta style then toss in a little butter and refrigerate for a day.  On the day of the dinner the rice will go in two instapots on the warm setting to heat up.  How long do you think it will take to reheat a full instapot of rice?  Thanking you in advance.

I don't have an instant pot, but I would be afraid to hold chilled rice 24 hours.  I may be paranoid.  On the other hand, my Zojirushi will cook 10 go of rice and hold it lovingly at safe temperatures* till next day, with just a couple moments to reheat.

If you have two instant pots at hand why not prepare the rice a la minute?

*plural, it adjusts the temperature with time.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I am with Jo.  Borrow a couple of big rice cookers if you can.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a dove casserole in the IP last night.  I soaked the doves in milk and egg and then dredged them in seasoned flour and then quick fried them.  

59340961074d4_photo45.JPG.ea3647fdce5a075bc33a4b5e6aac1ab5.JPG

Then I made a mushroom gravy (onions, mushrooms, garlic, seasoned flour, chicken broth).

5934096b5eaea_photo54.JPG.992d0e3cfc204fd42817aa3dfd16e598.JPG

I poured one cup of water in the liner.  This little casserole dish fit perfectly on the trivet. 

15 mins on high.  Natural release.  Very tender and good :)

593409710b097_photo61.JPG.4a8b479917a312bfe0fb18dd70dfad87.JPG

• Like 7

@Shelby, how did you get that golden brown on the potatoes in the lower right corner?  The doves and gravy sound tasty, but those potatoes are gorgeous!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

@Shelby, how did you get that golden brown on the potatoes in the lower right corner?  The doves and gravy sound tasty, but those potatoes are gorgeous!

:$  Well, thank you but it's just cheesy toast with a crappy tomato on top.  xD

• Like 1

xD Guess I needed to have more coffee and look again!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Too tired to cook last night, so I had a couple of potato skins, with cheese, bacon and chives. Best easy, quick dinner out there. Well, except possibly for tamales and chili, and my daughter had absconded with the last of the tamales. Must make a tamale run.

Today's main course will be a tomato-street corn pie. I may heat up a frozen crab cake to have with it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@JoNorvelleWalker

@Anna N

I haven't cooked rice in an instapot before and there will be 60 people so I will need to cook 10 cups of raw rice to get 30 cups of cooked.  In Laura Pazzaglia's hip Pressure Cooking book she suggests to only cook 3 cups of raw rice at a time.  I will have two instapots and I do have a large rice cooker which will do 6 cups so I could  cook 10 cups in those three.  I guess I am just nervous cooking that much rice in a manner that I haven't done before but I think you folks are right and I will just do that and keep my fingers crossed. 

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

@Anna N

I haven't cooked rice in an instapot before and there will be 60 people so I will need to cook 10 cups of raw rice to get 30 cups of cooked.  In Laura Pazzaglia's hip Pressure Cooking book she suggests to only cook 3 cups of raw rice at a time.  I will have two instapots and I do have a large rice cooker which will do 6 cups so I could  cook 10 cups in those three.  I guess I am just nervous cooking that much rice in a manner that I haven't done before but I think you folks are right and I will just do that and keep my fingers crossed. 

I am much more concerned about reheating it on a "warm" setting than about cooking it!  Rice is supposedly notoriously subject to incubating "nasties". While I am aware that many Asian folks will scoff at my  paranoia you will be feeding a lot of people and you would not like to discover any disastrous aftermath of your generous feast.  

Here's a brief discussion. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am much more concerned about reheating it on a "warm" setting than about cooking it!  Rice is supposedly notoriously subject to incubating "nasties". While I am aware that many Asian folks will scoff at my  paranoia you will be feeding a lot of people and you would not like to discover any disastrous aftermath of your generous feast.  

Here's a brief discussion. 

I was not aware of that so THANK YOU!!!!  I will cook it at the venue just before it is served.

• Like 1

I received my new Ceramic IP liner via Amazon yesterday.

Finally, though it took six months to get here, it really looks to be worth the time and cost.

Only 6 oz. lighter than the original s/s pot.  My s/s pot is a pain to clean, needing scouring every time I use it.

This one will make my life much easier.

In addition, I'm seeing now that the Amazon reviews aren't all that great, but I'm thinking that the one I got may be a new iteration of the old one.  Mine seems very sturdy and not likely to scratch or dent.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

@lindag 

its odd you are having so much trouble w your Ss insert.

Ive only had to use Bartender'sFriend  ( or what ever its called ) twice

I'm having trouble understanding what a ceramic w non-stick insert it :

I know what ceramic is and NS

I wasn't aware they could be combined.

is you were to bang or drop the insert would it shatter , i.e. like ceramic would ?

a theoretical question only !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@lindag 

is you were to bang or drop the insert would it shatter , i.e. like ceramic would ?

No, it wouldn't break.  It is definitely metal, with what I'm guessing is a ceramic finish (?)

• Like 1

I've been using SOS steel scrubbing pads on my s/s pot and it's a pain to get it clean and even then, it doesn't look very nice.  I just want to make it easier on myself with the non-stick pot.

that makes sense.

love to hear how its working out.

makes sense to have a ' spare '

one might use the SS for pressure steaming 

and the non-stick for food that's in contact w the entire liner ;  i.e. soups stews etc

I got a new accessory for my IP today.  It fits perfectly. I think I'm going to love it.

It has 3 "trays".  

59386751aaebc_photo119.JPG.b49b34b6c01709821a6a96ebdbaad4ed.JPG

To slide them out you move one of the bracket thingys over

5938675a046e0_photo122.JPG.41d11b451e7a41c8450f5bfcec474c0f.JPG

5938675f3630d_photo123.JPG.52f9a5951aef21b2244aa18648e47f15.JPG

59386766d2253_photo131.JPG.ac54740673d67c6cfd9fccbf43598a4f.JPG

Here is the link on Amazon.

• Like 4

Duo 7-in-1 on sale for $99.99 at Kohl's online today, plus another 20 percent off with the code "BUYQUICK".  Plus 3 percent cash back with eBates, if you use it (I love it!). Don't need another IP, but this is a good deal.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I got a new accessory for my IP today.  It fits perfectly. I think I'm going to love it.

It has 3 "trays".  

59386751aaebc_photo119.JPG.b49b34b6c01709821a6a96ebdbaad4ed.JPG

To slide them out you move one of the bracket thingys over

5938675a046e0_photo122.JPG.41d11b451e7a41c8450f5bfcec474c0f.JPG

5938675f3630d_photo123.JPG.52f9a5951aef21b2244aa18648e47f15.JPG

59386766d2253_photo131.JPG.ac54740673d67c6cfd9fccbf43598a4f.JPG

Here is the link on Amazon.

On amazozon.ca it's $45, but they have the 4 tray model for $25:

https://www.amazon.ca/TABAKH-DC-104-4-Plate-Stainless-Dhokla/dp/B00NITGRCK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496881546&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Tabakh+DC-103

p

• Like 1

I used me new non-stick Non stick inner pot today for the first time.

i'm impressed, in spite of the Amazon reviews ( I think the one I got is a newer model than ones previously reviewed).

in spite of not being able to find the right setting to cook my brown rice I eventually got it cooked.

To add, the 'rice' setting and the 'multigrain' setting were both too hot.

any suggestion how I can improve?

• Like 1

I cook brown rice on manual, high pressure for 23-25 min (23 is directly in the pot, 25 is if I'm using pot-in-pot, which is most common for me).  I let the pressure release naturally for 10 min and then release the valve.

I generally wash my rice first, so it's a bit wet when I add it to the pot and I use 1:1 ratio of rice to water.   

I've also used 1:1.25 with brown rice and that worked, too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I cook brown rice on manual, high pressure for 23-25 min (23 is directly in the pot, 25 is if I'm using pot-in-pot, which is most common for me).  I let the pressure release naturally for 10 min and then release the valve.

I generally wash my rice first, so it's a bit wet when I add it to the pot and I use 1:1 ratio of rice to water.   

I've also used 1:1.25 with brown rice and that worked, too.

Thanks a million!  I'll use your method next time.

• Like 2