• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

32 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

6 minutes, high pressure. Just like every other time I have done it.

Yeah I agree with the others.  If it sealed and counted down (as you well know) and they were that raw there is something wrong with the IP itself.

41 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If I have an issue with an IP recipe that has previously worked well, I clean it thoroughly, replace the sealing ring with a new one and try again. Hasn’t failed me yet. 
You could just reseat the existing ring after cleaning but if I have a new one on hand, I’ll try that first and give the old one a second chance later. 

Also, be sure to remove and clean the float valve (the little pin that pops up when it comes up to pressure). The one time I had a problem it was some invisible bit of schmutz in that part. I took the gasket out and cleaned it, took the float valve out, q-tipped the hole and the pin (nothing visible came out or off), and reassembled. Problem solved.

Edited by DesertTinker
Punctuation (log)
  • Like 2

Mystery solved. IO error.

It somehow got set to low pressure. I've never changed that setting, it's always been set to high. Not sure how that happened. Apparently, it matters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

1 minute ago, chileheadmike said:

Mystery solved. IO error.

It somehow got set to low pressure. I've never changed that setting, it's always been set to high. Not sure how that happened. Apparently, it matters. 

Hurrah! Unfortunately it does make a bit of a difference in your final results.🤣

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

Coq au vin rosé from Melissa Clark’s Dinner in an Instant. I really enjoyed this. The chicken was a bit firm but I think that it had more to do with the quality of the chicken than the recipe itself. The recipe took about 90 minutes to make total, so it’s doable on a week night. 

I made this again... this time for 10 people. While delicious (I got lots of raves from my French friends), it does take a little bit of time. For 10 it took about 3 hours total, with browning the legs being the most time consuming part (browning was done in a large Le Creuset Dutch oven), followed by the prep of the pearl onions. I had to cook the chicken in two batches based on the size of my instant pot.

Coq au vin rose (Melissa Clark - instant pot)

• Like 8
  • Delicious 5

39 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I made this again... this time for 10 people. While delicious (I got lots of raves from my French friends), it does take a little bit of time. For 10 it took about 3 hours total, with browning the legs being the most time consuming part (browning was done in a large Le Creuset Dutch oven), followed by the prep of the pearl onions. I had to cook the chicken in two batches based on the size of my instant pot.

Coq au vin rose (Melissa Clark - instant pot)

That looks amazing.  Gorgeous picture. 

• 2 months later...

I need a new 3-qt Instapot but I want the Ultra model which is not available now and Amazon says it doesn't know if or when if will be.

I have the bigger 6-qt Ultra model and it has spoiled me because it's so easy to use.

I toyed with the idea of just getting a small Fissler (they are wonderful products) but I do  like having the ability to ser it and walk away that comes with the IP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I need a new 3-qt Instapot but I want the Ultra model which is not available now and Amazon says it doesn't know if or when if will be.

I have the bigger 6-qt Ultra model and it has spoiled me because it's so easy to use.

I toyed with the idea of just getting a small Fissler (they are wonderful products) but I do  like having the ability to ser it and walk away that comes with the IP.

I'm curious why you need the 3-qt size.  And why it has to be an Ultra. Maybe I need one, too 🤣.

Is the Ultra really that much easier to use and in what ways?

Do you need the second IP so you can run two IPs at the same time?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm curious why you need the 3-qt size.  And why it has to be an Ultra. Maybe I need one, too 🤣.

Is the Ultra really that much easier to use and in what ways?

Do you need the second IP so you can run two IPs at the same time?  

IMHO the Ultra is head and shoulders above the others insofar as being much more intuitive.

I use a 3-qt. most because I cook in small amounts and it's a more useful size for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

IMHO the Ultra is head and shoulders above the others insofar as being much more intuitive.

I use a 3-qt. most because I cook in small amounts and it's a more useful size for me.

That makes sense. I cook in small quantities, too. I rely on pot-in-pot for that but I can see why you'd want a smaller one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That makes sense. I cook in small quantities, too. I rely on pot-in-pot for that but I can see why you'd want a smaller one. 

I have both the 8qt Duo and the 3qt Ultra.  I end up using them both about the same.  The 3qt is great for hard boiled eggs and rice, but I also use it for carnitas since it's just the meat.  For soups and stews I tend to make a lot so I use the 8qt for those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 qt. for smaller meals, rice, eggs, etc. (and travel cooking).  6 qt for batch cooking and long cooking stock from saved up bones/veg.

Today both being used as I am doing batch cooking of red and green chile stew simultaneously.

WF had a nice special on pork shoulder this week, that's why both IP are working today to accommodate getting that meat cooked.

I use my IP's way, way more than my stovetop.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha @ElsieD. I loved this line about the Instant Pot: "It is but a successor in a long line that includes bread machines, George Foreman grills, turbo broilers, coffee pod machines, juicers, sous vide sticks, and Sodastreams."

I have (and use) 3 or 4 of that list!

• Like 2

:blush:

25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Ha ha @ElsieD. I loved this line about the Instant Pot: "It is but a successor in a long line that includes bread machines, George Foreman grills, turbo broilers, coffee pod machines, juicers, sous vide sticks, and Sodastreams."

I have (and use) 3 or 4 of that list!

Me too.  And a few that aren't on that list.:$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have 3 iPots.

3 , 6 , 8 cup.

all on deep Amazon sale.

the 8 cup was intended for stock , 4 - 6 x

but by the time I gt its , my enthusiasm for 

wrasseling w a 22 - 24 lbs Fz turkey(s) 

has declined .    

they were 59 cents // lbs @ my turkey ( SV // stock ) peak.

@ MarketBasket they now are 89 cents // bs  

limit two ,

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I made a stock out of two chicken carcasses (Both roasted together in the Charbroil Big Easy Oil-less fryer, remember that appliance LOL?) and the leftover frozen ends/pieces/peelings from various veg dishes.   I do 2 240 minute soup settings, the bones go soft.  I strain the debris out and now I am reducing it on the saute setting.  I'm aiming for a demiglace.  I started out with 3 qts (I'm using a 3qt IP) and 1 30 minute saute setting has reduced it by 1/3.  I'm checking it every 10 minutes or so and give it a stir, the IP is on the back patio simmering away.   I've just restarted the saute function again for additional reduction.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

• 4 months later...

Ok, here's another egg mystery.  I did 3 dozen eggs for various things last week - devilled eggs, dyeing, and just having around.  About half of them were nearly raw.  And they were mixed - same batch and some were done and some were almost raw.  I know they were in the same batch because I did a dozen at a time and put them back in the carton when each batch was done.  I did them on LOW pressure for 5 minutes, left naturally release for another 5 minutes and then released the pressure.  What in the WORLD????

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, here's another egg mystery.  I did 3 dozen eggs for various things last week - devilled eggs, dyeing, and just having around.  About half of them were nearly raw.  And they were mixed - same batch and some were done and some were almost raw.  I know they were in the same batch because I did a dozen at a time and put them back in the carton when each batch was done.  I did them on LOW pressure for 5 minutes, left naturally release for another 5 minutes and then released the pressure.  What in the WORLD????

Have you done that many at the same time before?

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:51 AM, Kim Shook said:

I only did a dozen at a time - just like always.  I have one of the stackable racks.

I've been pondering on this.  You've done a dozen before with success using the racks you linked and since you kept each batch separate, putting them all back into the same egg carton together, it makes it even more perplexing why this happened.  The temperature of the eggs was my first thought, but leaving them on the counter longer before putting them in would only make them be more over done.  And since since some were raw and some were done correctly in each separate batch that wouldn't be it anyway.  Sigh.  I just can't figure it out.

If it makes you feel any better I've done steamed eggs three times when making breakfast for dinner.  The first batch and the last batch were far to done for Ronnie's taste.  The middle batch turned out perfect.  All done the same way, same time, same amount of eggs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

All done the same way, same time, same amount of eggs.

I am of the opinion that eggs are just  fickle. Just when you think you have it all figured out they make a fool of you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog