• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

I would venture a guess that if they weren't from Rancho Gordo, they're probably older, and would benefit from an overnight soak. RG has stated in the past (maybe in his first book) that he doesn't soak beans, nor do the people with whom he cooks when he's in Mexico

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is from Pressure Cooking Today

INSTANT POT BAKED BEANS

Create Pinterest Pin
PREP TIME15 minutes

COOK TIME35 minutes

ADDITIONAL TIME20 minutes

TOTAL TIME1 hour 10 minutes

For your next outdoor barbecue, use dried navy beans to make this easy Instant Pot Baked Beans recipe, featuring a classic sticky sauce of molasses, ketchup, and seasonings.

INGREDIENTS

•  1 pound dried navy beans*
  •  1 tablespoon salt
  •  10-ounces (8 slices) thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  •  1 large onion, chopped
  •  2 1/2 cups water
  •  1/2 cup molasses
  •  1/2 cup ketchup
  •  1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  •  1 teaspoon dry mustard
  •  1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Rinse the beans in a colander and sort through to remove any debris. Soak the beans overnight* in the pressure cooking pot with 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon salt. 
  2. After soaking, drain and rinse the beans; discard the soaking liquid.
  3. Select Sauté and add the bacon to the pressure cooking pot. Cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. 
  4. Add the onion to the pot and cook in the bacon fat until tender, about 3 minutes. Scrape up brown bits on the bottom of the pot as the onions cook.
  5. Add 2 1/2 cups water, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to the onions and stir to combine. Stir in the soaked beans.
  6. Select high pressure and 35 minutes cook time. When the cook time ends, turn the pressure cooker off and do a 10 minute natural pressure release, followed by a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid. 
  7. Discard any beans that are floating, and check several beans to make sure they're tender. If not, return to high pressure for a few more minutes. 
  8. Stir in the cooked bacon. Select Simmer and simmer beans uncovered, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn, until the sauce is the desired consistency.

NOTES

*Note that the total time does not include soaking times.

If you don’t have time for an overnight soak, use this quick soak method: Pressure cook the beans on high for 1 minute. Turn the pressure cooker off and let beans soak for one hour. Proceed with the recipe as directed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My note:  followed the cooking procedure but used my own ingredients.  We liked the results, the beans were evenly cooked.  This is the link:  https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-baked-beans/

Edited by ElsieD
Added link (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to everyone for your help!  Mr. Kim's co-worker never responded to my questions or offer to lend @JAZ's cookbooks, so I'm guessing that she just wanted to bitch about her SO's beans 😁.  I, on the other hand, used the IP to make delectable pintos and ham hocks this weekend for our house guests:

IMG_7205.jpg.8a265c20a6fc095e2c1d11382e4bdd5f.jpg

Mr. Kim had some with his lunch today and said that I needn't make pintos any other way again.  

• Like 5

Sorry I'm late to this, but yes, I'd guess that your co-worker's beans were older. One of the reasons I recommend soaking in my books is that I assume my readers are using supermarket beans and have no idea how old they are. In those cases, I think soaking in salted water helps even out the hydration so you don't end up with unevenly cooked beans, or beans that break down from too much cooking time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cheers !

wandering around TJ's

I have TJ's   ( Trader Joes )

Cultivated Wild Rice.  1 LB ( 454 g  elsewhere )

and Tj's Quinoa  ( ! )

I am a fan of WR , and made it in the day 

back when .  but Keen-Waaa

escaped me ( non-interesting story )

So So :

have you iPot'D  any of these ?

Im keen on iPot // over steam // in a bowl // over that steam

w the right about of water.  I looked up in My Home Tomes :

its clear , in a iPot :  no water escapes .

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, folks, this one falls in the WTF category:

20211114_133616.thumb.jpg.30586daba6843f85c5d23470a23b6183.jpg

Put on a pot of Brunswick stew before I left for church this morning. Came home, stirred it, sat down to read the paper and eGullet for a while. An hour or so later, "Pop!" And I found this.

Instant Pot, slow cook medium, IP glass lid. Had been on about five hours. Anyone had this happen?

• Sad 14

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Ok, folks, this one falls in the WTF category:

20211114_133616.thumb.jpg.30586daba6843f85c5d23470a23b6183.jpg

Put on a pot of Brunswick stew before I left for church this morning. Came home, stirred it, sat down to read the paper and eGullet for a while. An hour or so later, "Pop!" And I found this.

Instant Pot, slow cook medium, IP glass lid. Had been on about five hours. Anyone had this happen?

No, I haven't and I'm sorry it happened to you.  All that good stew ruined :( 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Exploding beans?

A bird got into the house, landed on the handle, saw its reflection, and pecked at it?

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Looking for some advice for Thanksgiving.  I haven't settled just yet on the exact recipe I want to use, but I'm planning to cook a turkey breast and bone and tie it before cooking.  It weighs 5.73 lb.  How long will a tied whole breast of that size take to cook?  I was thinking of doing more a citrus based recipe than traditional roasting; the recipe I'm basing things on calls for lemon zest and rosemary (not our favorite - I'm changing to thyme).  Should I brine?  And, if so, should that have a lemon component?  Thanks so much!  

On 11/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, kayb said:

The only thing that seems remotely possible is that if the lid was really hot, and there was a flaw in the glass, and some cold liquid dripped on it, that might cause the shattering. But that's a lot of "ifs" -- seems unlikely. Could water have dripped on it?

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Looking for some advice for Thanksgiving.  I haven't settled just yet on the exact recipe I want to use, but I'm planning to cook a turkey breast and bone and tie it before cooking.  It weighs 5.73 lb.  How long will a tied whole breast of that size take to cook?  I was thinking of doing more a citrus based recipe than traditional roasting; the recipe I'm basing things on calls for lemon zest and rosemary (not our favorite - I'm changing to thyme).  Should I brine?  And, if so, should that have a lemon component?  Thanks so much!  

In the book I wrote for the Ninja Foodi (their first combination pressure cooker and air fryer) I did a whole turkey breast for 13 minutes at pressure, with 8 minutes natural release time. Then I roasted it with the air fryer lid for 15 minutes to crisp the skin and finish cooking. Are you planning to roast or crisp it after the pressure cooking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAZ said:

The only thing that seems remotely possible is that if the lid was really hot, and there was a flaw in the glass, and some cold liquid dripped on it, that might cause the shattering. But that's a lot of "ifs" -- seems unlikely. Could water have dripped on it?

I don't think it could have. I had come in, taken the lid off, maybe laid it on the cold stovetop for a second or two, or I may have held it while I stirred the stew. I put the lid back on. The "Pop!" was 40 minutes or so later, and nothing/no one was in the kitchen.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, JAZ said:

In the book I wrote for the Ninja Foodi (their first combination pressure cooker and air fryer) I did a whole turkey breast for 13 minutes at pressure, with 8 minutes natural release time. Then I roasted it with the air fryer lid for 15 minutes to crisp the skin and finish cooking. Are you planning to roast or crisp it after the pressure cooking?

Thank you, ma'am!  I am planning to crisp the skin under the broiler when it is finished in the IP.  I do want to clarify something.  Since I am deboning the whole breast and pressing the two together and tying, it will, in effect, be twice as thick as the breasts still on the bone, no?  Would they take longer to cook because of that thickness?  

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I would definitely brine it but I don't think I would add any lemon component.  I'd just do a salt brine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had our family Christmas turkey dinner last night, due to a crazy work schedules of some. Having come down with a really wretched cold a few days prior (not Covid, was tested) I wanted to keep things as stress free for myself as possible. I have made make ahead mashed potatoes in the past but they take forever to heat up and usually develop a crust. Came across a recips for mashed potatoes in the Instapot, which said you can hold them on the keep warm setting for up to 3 hours.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/life-changing-instant-pot-mashed-potatoes/

What the hell said I. Not exagerating when I say they are the best, creamiest, easiest mashed potatoes I have ever made and every single one of the the 8 people present complimented the mashed potatoes. I can honestly say I don't ever remember being complimented on mashed potatoes before.

I ended up keeping them on the keep warm setting for four hours and I'm pretty sure I will never make mashed potatoes for a crowd any other way. That said, I used all the butter and all the sour cream in the recipe for 5 pounds of potatoes, but probably only about 1/3 of the milk/cream and it wasn't necessary to add any more before serving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

20 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Had our family Christmas turkey dinner last night, due to a crazy work schedules of some. Having come down with a really wretched cold a few days prior (not Covid, was tested) I wanted to keep things as stress free for myself as possible. I have made make ahead mashed potatoes in the past but they take forever to heat up and usually develop a crust. Came across a recips for mashed potatoes in the Instapot, which said you can hold them on the keep warm setting for up to 3 hours.

What the hell said I. Not exagerating when I say they are the best, creamiest, easiest mashed potatoes I have ever made and every single one of the the 8 people present complimented the mashed potatoes. I can honestly say I don't ever remember being complimented on mashed potatoes before.

I ended up keeping them on the keep warm setting for four hours and I'm pretty sure I will never make mashed potatoes for a crowd any other way. That said, I used all the butter and all the sour cream in the recipe for 5 pounds of potatoes, but probably only about 1/3 of the milk/cream and it wasn't necessary to add any more before serving.

Thank you for posting this!  I saved the recipe and will be trying soon.  

I'm planning to do a little cooking ahead for New Year's Day tomorrow.  I found a little store nearby that sells @rancho_gordo beans. The closest to black eyed peas they had was the yellow eyes, so I'm going to use my IP black eyed pea recipe to make them.  I figure it should work the same.  I'm also doing southern green beans, but without the little potatoes, which I've had good luck with doing in the IP.  Jessica really doesn't care for any kind of field pea, so a big batch of green beans will satisfy her and give us a vegetable option for the week.  

• Like 4

On 12/29/2021 at 1:56 PM, MaryIsobel said:

I did a half recipe (2 lbs of potatoes, everything else halved), and they are very good. I might cut back on the garlic powder a bit, but it wasn’t overwhelming, just a bit more forward than I expected.

HELP, please!  I'm doing some @rancho_gordo yellow eye beans in the IP (best by 5/23).  I have cooked them for 16 minutes with a 15 minute natural release.  They were still too hard.  So I've done them now an additional 7/7 (pressure cook/natural release), a second 7/7 and am starting on my third 7/7 because they were still too hard after the second 7/7.  They have plenty of liquid - 5 cups to 1 pound of beans.  The yellow eyes are slightly larger than black eyed peas, so I'm not surprised that they would take a little longer - but 1 1/2 times as long (assuming that they are done after this round).  And I do seem to have some busted jackets, too.  Can anyone tell if I'm doing something wrong?  Should I not have done RG beans in the IP?  Store bought bags of beans work fine for me.

Thanks, everyone!

• Sad 1