• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

A friend told me today she had acquired an "Instant Pod," a creature made by Instant Pot that makes coffee with Keurig pods and espresso from Nespresso pods. Anybody heard of such? I accused her of hallucinating it.

My kids have a Nespresso. It does make a reasonably decent cup of coffee. Espresso. Whatever.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

A friend told me today she had acquired an "Instant Pod," a creature made by Instant Pot that makes coffee with Keurig pods and espresso from Nespresso pods. Anybody heard of such? I accused her of hallucinating it.

My kids have a Nespresso. It does make a reasonably decent cup of coffee. Espresso. Whatever.

Yep. It is a thing!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

They have a pot you can use with induction?  Can you buy it separately?  One thing I have noticed is the non-stick pot is not very non-sticky.  If anyone is thinking of buying it, I would say "don't bother".

You can buy the pot separately but it is not compatible with other models because of the handles

• Thanks 1

Just now, kayb said:

Well, I'll be damned. Another solution looking for a problem.

It’s not as if I am smarter than you! I had never heard of it but decided to do a Google search. I do not think one is in my future although I would not give up my Keurig for anything. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It appears to be the product of the same manufacturer as the Instant Pot. 

Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a niche product, to be sure, but the niche probably exists.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

I want lamb shanks for dinner and use the Instant Pot great ro cook them.  Here is my question - can I make these up ahead of time, refrigerate the pot and then re-heat them in the IP?  If yes, can I re-heat them using the pressure setting?  Or some other setting?

Thanks, @weinoo and @rotuts.  I should have been a little clearer in my question.  I'm looking for a fast way to re-heat lamb shanks which is why I wondered about using the IP.  I know that heating them on a gentle heat is best, but I was wondering about a fast re-heat.  

@ElsieD 

well you might try splitting the ' sample '

in half :

1/2 in iP  low pressure , maybe until the pressure 

thing-ey pops up , ( remember its cooked )  , 5 or 10 minute release ?  try 5

then heat the other half in the CSO 

taste each , and see if there is a difference , esp the meat ?

not joking am I .

see :  you get to do all the work

and eG'er get the benefit of your research.

win - win .

• Like 2

@weinoo  

'  Gentle heat for reheating is more likely to preserve taste '

I agree with this , but wonder if

it pertains more to conventional style braising.

the same Rx  cooked ' conventional '  is going to taste different

than the iP.   ' taste ' after an iP  might be more ' durable '

and can take the heat again , briefly.

• Like 2

You can set the time to 0 min on the IP, it will build pressure just enough to close the valve and then switch to keep warm.   You can then do a Fast release if desired.  I imagine you can hit cancel anytime during the heat up process to see if the warming is sufficient.  You will just need to play around with the timing to see what works best for the food inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@lemniscate 

excellent ideas.

the pot itself 

will get hot , in the iP at LP and HP .

I picked as an idea , LP , until it gets to LP

and then , a '' certain time '  release 

to get enough heat into the pot

so when removing

a gentil stir 

will get the contents 

at the right temp

intersting , for iP'd stuff !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lemniscate said:

You can set the time to 0 min on the IP, it will build pressure just enough to close the valve and then switch to keep warm.   You can then do a Fast release if desired.  I imagine you can hit cancel anytime during the heat up process to see if the warming is sufficient.  You will just need to play around with the timing to see what works best for the food inside.

And please let us know, @ElsieD!  We'll need to add it to our notes if it works!

Reasonable-looking article in HuffPost about getting rid of sealing ring odors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The banality of that twice-linked article is a perfect expression of why food writing nowadays sucks.

May, 2020 - https://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-get-the-funky-smell-out-of-your-instant-pot-sealing-ring-250302

How about January, 2018 - https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-clean-instant-pot-sealing-ring

January, 2017 anyone - https://www.noshtastic.com/clean-instant-pot-sealing-ring/

And wow! Dry it before putting it away - and on two straws!!!! Who'd have thunk of that?

I don't know about anyone else here, but I often put cooking equipment away soaking wet, just to see what that does.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

One of Mr. Kim's co-workers asked for advice about her first use of the IP.  She tried to cook great northern beans and got some soft and some hard beans.  She didn't soak them.  The two bean recipes that I've had success with don't require soaking, but I know that some of @JAZ's do.  I told her that I thought she probably used too little liquid (2 cups to 1 lb. beans) and that her beans might have been not good quality.  Anything else I can tell her?  Thank you!

• Like 1