• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

On the topic of iPot, and i didn't really want to start a new thread, Does anyone know the sweet spot for boneless skinless chicken thighs seared, then braised in the iPot where its between chop and pull? Google recipes are a mixed bag. I am debating between 10-15 minutes. I think anything less or more will result in not enough to pull or too long to chop

I cook a lot of boneless chicken thighs in the Instant Pot, but I hardly ever sear them first. When I cook them raw, I find 13-14 minutes with quick pressure release gets them to the point where they're shreddable, but not falling apart. Maybe subtract a couple minutes if you're searing first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Does anyone want mine? Never opened in the box. 

Hang onto it, you may yet want to try cooking again.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

Does anyone use their Instant Pot for canning? My Instant Pot is the Ultra which does high pressure at 10.2 to 11.6 psi.

I read that USDA performed their tests at 15 psi, and thus have no experience with a lower psi, so do not recommend using the Instant Pot. Which is not to say that a lower psi is unworkable.

Thoughts?

You might want to make sure your living will is up-to-date and your life insurance in good standing. Neither the USDA nor the makers of the device recommend it even though they seem to have a setting that suggests it’s possible. 
  Here

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If you want to can just a few jars, it seems OK for waterbath or steam canning but not for pressure canning. See this from Food in Jars which suggests the company is working with McGill University on testing pressure canning with the IP Max but I don’t believe they have it wrapped up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a dumb question.  I was wandering around over at Chowhound and someone's question gave me pause.  If I am using the IP to pressure cook and the "Keep Warm" light is on and the timer goes off, does the natural release NOT happen until the unit is turned off?  Or does "Keep Warm" and Natural Release happen simultaneously?  I never have given it the least thought and I'm not sure now if I usually pressure cook with the "Keep Warm" light on or not.  When the timer goes off, I don't touch the IP - I just wait the amount of time indicated for "natural release" and then pop the vent button to finish the release.  Am I totally screwing up?

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This may be a dumb question.  I was wandering around over at Chowhound and someone's question gave me pause.  If I am using the IP to pressure cook and the "Keep Warm" light is on and the timer goes off, does the natural release NOT happen until the unit is turned off?  Or does "Keep Warm" and Natural Release happen simultaneously?  I never have given it the least thought and I'm not sure now if I usually pressure cook with the "Keep Warm" light on or not.  When the timer goes off, I don't touch the IP - I just wait the amount of time indicated for "natural release" and then pop the vent button to finish the release.  Am I totally screwing up?

If the setting is on keep warm, it also releases.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is a nurse at one of the local hospitals. I was attempting to get dinner ready before she had to leave, but of course I was running late. Took the chicken off the the smoker and finished it in a hot sauté pan, seared some pre-cooked Yukon gold potatoes in the same pan, and did a piece of corn on the cob for 3 minutes in the IP. 

All came out fine and she left for work on time. Corn came out really, really good.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

My wife is a nurse at one of the local hospitals. I was attempting to get dinner ready before she had to leave, but of course I was running late. Took the chicken off the the smoker and finished it in a hot sauté pan, seared some pre-cooked Yukon gold potatoes in the same pan, and did a piece of corn on the cob for 3 minutes in the IP. 

All came out fine and she left for work on time. Corn came out really, really good.

Did you shuck the corn before or after cooking?

I do this for making further stock.

start w Fz  add new bones etc

if there were  any 

' heat issues ' 

ive had w the iPot

is ' Saute '

heat is very uneven ,

and you might get scorching

if you do not stir often

so , for me , I don't use saute

if you ' sautéed ' Fz stock

to defrost it 

.......       ?????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I do this for making further stock.

start w Fz  add new bones etc

if there were  any 

' heat issues ' 

ive had w the iPot

is ' Saute '

heat is very uneven ,

and you might get scorching

if you do not stir often

so , for me , I don't use saute

if you ' sautéed ' Fz stock

to defrost it 

.......       ?????

If you don't use sauté what do you use?  I find sauté uneven as well but I think that's because the pot is raised a bit in the middle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If you don't use sauté what do you use?  I find sauté uneven as well but I think that's because the pot is raised a bit in the middle.

The IP Duo Evo Plus (which was discontinued ) and the IP Pro Model have a wonderful new type pot with a flat bottom and handles.  I saute with it on my induction burner instead of using the IP's saute settings.  Love that pot...

8 minutes ago, saluki said:

The IP Duo Evo Plus (which was discontinued ) and the IP Pro Model have a wonderful new type pot with a flat bottom and handles.  I saute with it on my induction burner instead of using the IP's saute settings.  Love that pot...

They have a pot you can use with induction?  Can you buy it separately?  One thing I have noticed is the non-stick pot is not very non-sticky.  If anyone is thinking of buying it, I would say "don't bother".

• Thanks 1