• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Am I correct that there still isn't reassurance that this IP can safely maintain 15 PSI throughout the entire cooking time and therefore isn't really safe for pressure canning low acid foods?

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Am I correct that there still isn't reassurance that this IP can safely maintain 15 PSI throughout the entire cooking time and therefore isn't really safe for pressure canning low acid foods?

I am not a home canner (or even an away from home canner), but your question got me wondering why 15 psi is a "magic" pressure.  Turns out it's not all necessary (and not even recommended anymore).  Here's the data from the USDA: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general/selecting_correct_process_time.html

Pressures as low as 5 psi seem to be fine as long as you are mindful of the time.  15 psi is faster, but another article I was reading said the USDA no longer recommends 15 psi for home canners because folks didn't allow enough time for the food to heat through.  https://www.healthycanning.com/10-pounds-instead-of-15-pounds-pressure-canning/

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

16 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I am not a home canner (or even an away from home canner), but your question got me wondering why 15 psi is a "magic" pressure.  Turns out it's not all necessary (and not even recommended anymore).  Here's the data from the USDA: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general/selecting_correct_process_time.html

Pressures as low as 5 psi seem to be fine as long as you are mindful of the time.  15 psi is faster, but another article I was reading said the USDA no longer recommends 15 psi for home canners because folks didn't allow enough time for the food to heat through.  https://www.healthycanning.com/10-pounds-instead-of-15-pounds-pressure-canning/

But this is what that same site has to say about electric pressure cookers - https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/electric_cookers.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

But this is what that same site has to say about electric pressure cookers - https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/electric_cookers.html

So according that article even if the IP Max could maintain 15 psi they still wouldn't recommend it because they haven't tested it (and therefore they don't have time guidelines).  Seems to me there's a whole lot of CYA going on because they didn't test multi-cookers like the IP.  (One of their concerns was what would happen if there was a power fluctuation.  Well, what if you were using a stovetop pressure cooker on an electric stove or an induction burner? )

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

28 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

So according that article even if the IP Max could maintain 15 psi they still wouldn't recommend it because they haven't tested it (and therefore they don't have time guidelines).  Seems to me there's a whole lot of CYA going on because they didn't test multi-cookers like the IP.  (One of their concerns was what would happen if there was a power fluctuation.  Well, what if you were using a stovetop pressure cooker on an electric stove or an induction burner? )

I wonder if it would be sufficient to put an autoclave strip in there to determine that it had reached and maintained temperature sufficient to sterilize?

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I wonder if it would be sufficient to put an autoclave strip in there to determine that it had reached and maintained temperature sufficient to sterilize?

In my very-quick search of this new-to-me technology, it looks as though the autoclave strip indicates a minimum temperature but not time at that temperature. Don't you need both?

https://ehs.princeton.edu/book/export/html/485

That's pretty interesting stuff, though. I'm glad you mentioned it. 

ETA or is that high temperature enough to kill bugs regardless of time?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In my very-quick search of this new-to-me technology, it looks as though the autoclave strip indicates a minimum temperature but not time at that temperature. Don't you need both?

https://ehs.princeton.edu/book/export/html/485

That's pretty interesting stuff, though. I'm glad you mentioned it. 

ETA or is that high temperature enough to kill bugs regardless of time?

It would appear that it is not sufficient - where do you suppose we can get some of those B sterothermopolis indicators? Or a remote temperature logger that can be put inside the IP?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It would appear that it is not sufficient - where do you suppose we can get some of those B sterothermopolis indicators? Or a remote temperature logger that can be put inside the IP?

https://www.thermoworks.com/hitemp140

I used temperature strips but @pazzaglia was not convinced.  I politely disagree with her.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

Ronnie got me the 8 quart Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus for Christmas.  It's sure pretty and BIG.  Has anyone discussed using the sous vide setting or the bake setting?  I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I used the sous vide setting yesterday to do some chicken.  I was skeptical because the water doesn't circulate...ok, maybe I should use the word nervous instead of skeptical.  I was going to fry the chicken anyway after the sous vide so I was hoping I didn't make us sick or kill us (it's all good we had no ill effects and the chicken was great lol).  I tested the water temp several times with my thermapen and it was always 2 degrees under what I had set it for.....I don't know if it's my pens fault or the IP.  Anyway,  I'd love to know if others have tried these different settings and what you think.

• Like 1

Instant Pot black beans from Melissa Clark's "Dinner in an Instant". I've made this recipe a few times, I really like the combination of peppers and spices that Melissa Clark recommends adding to the beans.

1857298463_IMG_6490-InstantPotBlackBeans-MelissaClark.jpg.1161bd98e326f3c644bcf2ab81ae2764.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, curls said:

Instant Pot black beans from Melissa Clark's "Dinner in an Instant". I've made this recipe a few times, I really like the combination of peppers and spices that Melissa Clark recommends adding to the beans.

1857298463_IMG_6490-InstantPotBlackBeans-MelissaClark.jpg.1161bd98e326f3c644bcf2ab81ae2764.jpg

What are the spices?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What are the spices?

sage or marjoram or oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper

other additions: poblano chiles, jalepeno or serrano chiles, onion, garlic, tomato, cilantro, scallion, lime

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Meaty lamb bones roasted at 425°F to brown slightly. Bones went into Instant Pot with onion, carrot, celery for 1.5 hrs at high pressure (HP) for higly gelatinous lamb stock. Meat cleaned and saved. 1/2 lb Rancho Gordo Royal Corona beans then cooked HP in lamb stock. Separately high pressure steamed 1/4 cup pearled barley. Added a couple of carrots, and IP set to Slow Cook Medium. Dressed with fresh parsley and a drizzle of Lemon Balsamic.

IMG_2931_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.5a1d5966d6cc274987d4c4a4c00f2e22.jpg

IMG_2933_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.e5f56474d9b6429f81c15fcf0168926e.jpg
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

On 3/17/2021 at 3:29 PM, TdeV said:
1/2 lb Rancho Gordo Royal Corona beans then cooked HP in lamb stock.

That looks delicious! Do you mind me asking the cook time for the Royal Coronas? And were they soaked or unsoaked? I have been a little afraid to try to cook those under pressure.

• Thanks 1

@dtremit, thanks.

Those Royal Corona beans are truly amazing. I only used 1/2 pound because I was afraid that the dish would be huge.

The beans were soaked overnight in gelatinous lamb stock. I wanted to make a bean dish which wasn't a soup (my default method), so the beans were covered in only a small amount (a knuckle's worth) of stock. Thinking it was best to check if the liquid was adequate, the beans were cooked for 7 minutes High Pressure with a 20 minute rest. (My IP RG cheat sheet says Corona beans soaked should be cooked for 10-12 minutes)

At 7 minutes, they weren't done, but they weren't rock hard either. Adding additional time + rest is a crap shoot for me, so I skipped it. I had other things to cook in the broth anyway. The IP simmered at Slow Cooker Medium for a couple of hours. Probably the pot was turned up to Slow Cooker Custom (201°F) for 30 minutes to get stuff really hot.

If I had to guess, I would do soaked Royal Corona for 8 or 9 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined the instant pot crowd. I've been eyeballing but resisting for quite a while. A friend recently wanted to sell her instant pot that had, according to her, only been used 4 or 5 times before she decided she wanted the one with the air fryer instead. $40 for what looks like a brand new instant pot put an end to my resistance. So for my first project, I want to give some short ribs some time in my smoker and finish them in the IP. Anybody willing to walk me through the times and which buttons to push on the IP?

Edit: it may not end up being my first project. Looking at the weather forecast for the next couple weeks, it may still be a bit before the smoker makes an appearance.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, ElsieD said:

@Tri2Cook That's a great buy.   Here's A recipe we like.  The ribs, though, are not smoked.

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/sweet-sticky-short-ribs

Thanks! Sounds tasty. I'll hang onto it but I want to do this round with the smoke, it's gonna be part of a bbq meal. I found info for times and buttons for short ribs but I don't know enough about the thing to know what adjustments to make after they've spent an hour or two in the smoker first.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Thanks! Sounds tasty. I'll hang onto it but I want to do this round with the smoke, it's gonna be part of a bbq meal. I found info for times and buttons for short ribs but I don't know enough about the thing to know what adjustments to make after they've spent an hour or two in the smoker first.

We have only cold smoked our ribs--around one sixty F--some of my number keys on this laptop aren't working, sigh.  After that into the IP for 50 mins. on high and let it naturally release.  

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

if you were going to smoke them and then finish in the oven, how long would you cook them in the oven? I guess my question is, how done do they get in the smoker? Starting with seared bone-in short ribs, I cook them for 35-40 minutes with natural release, or 45-50 with quick release. If they cook part way in the smoker, maybe start with 25-30 minutes on high pressure. You can always cook them longer if they need it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JAZ said:

if you were going to smoke them and then finish in the oven, how long would you cook them in the oven? I guess my question is, how done do they get in the smoker?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question. This is a new one all around for me, I've never done short ribs in the smoker before. I found a recipe on youtube that calls for 3 hours in the smoker at 250 F followed by 1 1/2 - 2 hours in a braising liquid in the oven at 300 F but I've never tried it. 

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question. This is a new one all around for me, I've never done short ribs in the smoker before. I found a recipe on youtube that calls for 3 hours in the smoker at 250 F followed by 1 1/2 - 2 hours in a braising liquid in the oven at 300 F but I've never tried it. 

That seems like overkill. Using just an oven (no smoker), I roast English-cut short ribs for 2-1/2 hours at 275F. They're plenty tender, juicy and very beefy.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

4 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

That seems like overkill. Using just an oven (no smoker), I roast English-cut short ribs for 2-1/2 hours at 275F. They're plenty tender, juicy and very beefy.

Yeah, it sounded a bit excessive to me too but like I said, I've never done them in a smoker. I could do them entirely in the smoker, it's mainly just to free up the space for other uses. When I do pork ribs, I generally wrap them and toss them in a 225 F oven after about 3 hours of smoke. That way I can bump the smoker up to a higher temp and toss in chickens and everything gets done at about the same time. The oven is an option for short ribs, I was just wanting to play with my new toy. 😁

• Like 1