• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

@Kim Shook  i checked my books and the only instructions I could find came from The Great Big Pressure Cooker book by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.  They said for boneless ribs, cook them at high pressure for 50 minutes then NPR  for 20 - 25 minutes.  I haven't done this.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Hoping to get an answer today (I'm sorry to be so late, it didn't occur to me that I should try this until this morning).  Would y'all please look at this recipe and see if you think that I could successfully do it in the IP?  If so, do you think that I need to make any changes?  And how long would you do it?  Low or High pressure?  I generally make this a day ahead, refrigerate and skim off the fat the next day before heating (which I'll do in the CSO).  I'm serving it tomorrow.  Our whole dinner is a special request from Jessica.  

@JAZ - Lady of the IP, I'd love your advice here, if you have the time!😁

Don’t see why not, but I’d use considerably less liquid, and cook on high for 30 minutes or so.

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Hoping to get an answer today (I'm sorry to be so late, it didn't occur to me that I should try this until this morning).  Would y'all please look at this recipe and see if you think that I could successfully do it in the IP?  If so, do you think that I need to make any changes?  And how long would you do it?  Low or High pressure?  I generally make this a day ahead, refrigerate and skim off the fat the next day before heating (which I'll do in the CSO).  I'm serving it tomorrow.  Our whole dinner is a special request from Jessica.  

@JAZ - Lady of the IP, I'd love your advice here, if you have the time!😁

I think 50 minutes plus natural release is a bit long for boneless short ribs. That's about what I use for bone-in ribs. I'd go with 35 minutes plus 15 minutes or so of natural release. Or 45 minutes with quick release. If you find the ribs aren't quite done enough, you can always simmer them until they reach the right texture on the day of serving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@ElsieD, @mgaretz, and @JAZ - thank you so much for your help with the short ribs.  They turned out perfectly.  And, @mgaretz - I really appreciate you suggesting less liquid.  In reading over the recipe again, I decided that 26oz. was probably a typo and should have been 16 oz.  Twenty-six ounces doesn't make any sense.

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@ElsieD, @mgaretz, and @JAZ - thank you so much for your help with the short ribs.  They turned out perfectly.  And, @mgaretz - I really appreciate you suggesting less liquid.  In reading over the recipe again, I decided that 26oz. was probably a typo and should have been 16 oz.  Twenty-six ounces doesn't make any sense.

For how long did you end up cooking them?

51 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

For how long did you end up cooking them?

Sorry, I meant to say that!  They were bone-in and I ended up doing 45 minutes on HIGH pressure and let them naturally release for 15.  I figured that I could do a few more minutes if they needed it.

Here's a picture:

IMG_3981.jpg

• Like 5

I saw an article on Walmart's early Black Friday specials.

I think this 9-in-1 6 qt. IP is currently at a good price (click). Plus, it looks like it's in stock, as well.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

47 minutes ago, ambra said:

I finally bought one! I'm combing through all these threads, and bought a couple of cookbooks, but does anyone have a favorite recipe to recommend starting with? For a first time user? 

This is one from my latest Instant Pot book, for barbecue chicken sandwiches. It includes slaw, but you can skip that if you want. Chicken thighs are great for the Instant Pot -- much less chance of overcooking than there is for breasts.

Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Slaw

If you're not a fan of chicken, post more about what you're looking for and I can probably come up with something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JAZ said:

This is one from my latest Instant Pot book, for barbecue chicken sandwiches. It includes slaw, but you can skip that if you want. Chicken thighs are great for the Instant Pot -- much less chance of overcooking than there is for breasts.

Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Slaw

This looks great, thank you tons! I will try it, I even have cabbage from my CSA in the fridge calling out for slaw. 

19 hours ago, JAZ said:

post more about what you're looking for and I can probably come up with something.

I'm pretty easy, we like fish, chicken, beef, lamb, everything vegetarian etc. I am looking to learn how to use this. I didn't have a pressure cooker or slow cooker even before this. I bought one of your books! 

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 2

I cook them for 8 minutes in chicken broth, high pressure with natural release.  That's for soup.  A lot of the lentils will still be intact, but stirring well for a few minutes breaks enough up to thicken the soup, and it always gets thicker after the first day.

My soup recipe is:

1/2 lb lentils (split peas work as well)

32 oz chicken stock

1 cup water

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder (or you can use a whole chopped onion)

1 lb of carrots

1/4 cup cream sherry

1 bay leaf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

The sole reason I still have my old slow cooker is to caramelize onions. I put a lot in there with a cube of butter and cook them at 150°F for a few hours (to generate moisture), then a bit higher, then low again for 24 hours. If necessary, I could figure out what temperature I should be cooking the onions for 24 hours.

But, as far as I can sort out, the Instant Pot Ultra will not set a 24 hour time. Is this correct?

How do you other IP owners carmelize onions?

12 minutes ago, TdeV said:

But, as far as I can sort out, the Instant Pot Ultra will not set a 24 hour time. Is this correct?

Per the IP Ultra manual, the time range for the on the slow-cook function is 2 - 20 hours so you are correct there.  It looks like you can program something longer, but I'm not familiar with that. 

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How do you other IP owners carmelize onions?

I caramelize onions in a pan on the stovetop or in the oven.  Since trying Kenji's (no longer recommended) pressure cooker method, I've stuck with the basics!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I caramelize onions in a pan on the stovetop or in the oven.

Please share your oven method. I did a search and found many hits but none of them seemed to be as satisfactory as stove top. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Please share your oven method. I did a search and found many hits but none of them seemed to be as satisfactory as stove top. 

Sorry, I remember you asked about this in another thread and I meant to make some so I could take photos to answer with.  I suspect they are more properly called roasted onions, though I take them a good bit farther than my starting recipe does.  Not entirely interchangeable with pan caramelized but they work in many applications.  I've got onions, a bit of time and weather cool enough to turn on the oven so I'll respond in a day or so and you can decide if they suit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sorry, I remember you asked about this in another thread and I meant to make some so I could take photos to answer with.  I suspect they are more properly called roasted onions, though I take them a good bit farther than my starting recipe does.  Not entirely interchangeable with pan caramelized but they work in many applications.  I've got onions, a bit of time and weather cool enough to turn on the oven so I'll respond in a day or so and you can decide if they suit. 

Thank you so much. There is absolutely no rush.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog