• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

They were, however, very easily peeled since I held them for 2 weeks before cooking.  I’m really disgusted and think I’ll have to go back to the ATK steaming method.  So disappointing.

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (In other words, the steaming method works great...)

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Am I the only one who feels somewhat put off by the idea that, as a guest at someone's home,  the broth used in the soup I am eating, was made by broth from chicken bones that have been gnawed on and licked by people I don't know?  I get that the IP probably kills any bacteria but the thought leaves me feeling queasy.  I keep the bones i separate from both uncooked and cooked chicken for stock but that's it.  "Used" bones go in the trash.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Am I the only one who feels somewhat put off by the idea that, as a guest at someone's home,  the broth used in the soup I am eating, was made by broth from chicken bones that have been gnawed on and licked by people I don't know?  I get that the IP probably kills any bacteria but the thought leaves me feeling queasy.  I keep the bones i separate from both uncooked and cooked chicken for stock but that's it.  "Used" bones go in the trash.  

Ignorance is bliss!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, palo said:

@ElsieD - it's similar to forks - you never know how many mouths they've been in, but it's never a conscious thought.

p

I hate you.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

for what its worth , personal psychology aside

iPot'd stock , HP  from chewed bones 

should give you the same result

as iPot'd bones , made from a more Virginal in nature

set of bones.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I picked up a cottage roll yesterday and would like to cook it in the IP.  I checked my cookbooks for instructions and there is nary a mention of cottage rolls in any of them.  Mr. Google wasn't any help either.  Any ideas?  So far, I'm thinking I should follow the timing for a pork butt.  The cottage roll i have is about 3 1/2 pounds.  

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I picked up a cottage roll yesterday and would like to cook it in the IP.  I checked my cookbooks for instructions and there is nary a mention of cottage rolls in any of them.  Mr. Google wasn't any help either.  Any ideas?  So far, I'm thinking I should follow the timing for a pork butt.  The cottage roll i have is about 3 1/2 pounds.  

Not much out there, but I found this Instant Pot Cottage Roll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Very similar to buckboard bacon, which is known in Canada as cottage bacon, at least according to Mr. Google.

I have never heard of the term cottage bacon.  I wonder if other Canadians have?

9 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

This might be the same as Cottage Ham or Coppa, which was always in our blessed Easter basket for Easter breakfast.   I brought 3 home from Cleveland a few years ago that the TSA had to wand in my luggage.   Cottage ham is best Ham.

The article seems to say that cottage ham = smoked picnic shoulder.  Here they are two distinctly different things.  Smoked picnic shoulder is, as the name suggests, smoked.  Cottage roll is pickled but not smoked.  They both are boston butts and both are very good.

FWIW, I've lived (to date) in 6 of 10 provinces, and have not encountered the term.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 10/16/2020 at 9:13 PM, Kim Shook said:

I have a question – my MIL asked me when she should use “low pressure” and when she should use “high pressure”.  My answer of, “whatever your recipe calls for” wasn’t really very informative for her.  Is HIGH the default if the recipe doesn’t say, or does it depend on what you are cooking?    

Circling back to this as I don't think it was answered. Yes, generally I assume that recipes that don't specify a pressure setting should be cooked on "high." Logic being — (a) usually they tell you to cook on "manual" (aka "pressure cook" on newer models), and the default for that is high; and (b) the first model of Instant Pot had only one pressure setting, which was also high.

(The only exception would be a recipe that explicitly tells you to use the "Rice" function, but doesn't specify a pressure setting; that I believe is the only mode that defaults to low pressure.)

• Thanks 1

Hoping to get an answer today (I'm sorry to be so late, it didn't occur to me that I should try this until this morning).  Would y'all please look at this recipe and see if you think that I could successfully do it in the IP?  If so, do you think that I need to make any changes?  And how long would you do it?  Low or High pressure?  I generally make this a day ahead, refrigerate and skim off the fat the next day before heating (which I'll do in the CSO).  I'm serving it tomorrow.  Our whole dinner is a special request from Jessica.  

@JAZ - Lady of the IP, I'd love your advice here, if you have the time!😁