• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

7 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Probably, but the question was not about the best way to cook pork tenderloin, it was about how to cook it in the Instant Pot. Regardless of whether or not you or I think it's a good idea, people are going to cook pork tenderloin in their pressure cookers. They might as well learn how to do it to obtain the best results.

Maybe.  Some people.  But not me.  If it is no easier and, more importantly, no better than another method, I won't be using it.  That was my reasoning in asking the question.  'Did I do something wrong?"  If I didn't and that is just the nature of the beast, so be it.  

• Like 2

In the past, I've made carmelized onions overnight in the slow cooker, from remarks on this thread.

Is there a way to do this 24 hour cook in the Instant Pot?

Edited to add the IP Slow Cook function can be set to 20 hours between 104°F and 208°F

Has anyone tried this?

Edited by TdeV (log)

52 minutes ago, TdeV said:

In the past, I've made carmelized onions overnight in the slow cooker, from remarks on this thread.

Is there a way to do this 24 hour cook in the Instant Pot?

Edited to add the IP Slow Cook function can be set to 20 hours between 104°F and 208°F

Has anyone tried this?

My only advice is to check the temperature of your slow cooker and then compare to the IP.  My slow cooker evidently runs hot and when I tried the same recipes in the IP they were barely cooked.  Only good news is that I could slap the lid on and give it a few minutes of pressure to finish cooking.  I have the 8qt IP and I tried low and medium, both were too low, and haven't yet tried high.

• Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

6 lbs of cut up carrots for various uses,  steamed for 10 min and natural release, then salted and buttered a tiny bit.   6 lbs does not fit all at once in my 6 qt.   It takes a couple loads.   I save the carrot broth at the end for myself.  I love sipping it.

Edited by lemniscate
1 lb more. (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

My IP seal is stinky.  I'm sure that's been addressed, but I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go back 65 pages to find out.  Any solutions other than buying a new seal?  Thanks!!!

Oxyclean?

• Thanks 1

dilute bleach worked for me

if you can find bleach 

dont go out and get it

just order a few more seals 

they now come in various colors

use the color as a ' flavor guide '

• Thanks 1

@Kim Shook 

I don't really remember , and Im sure I didn't measure it 

hot water + a slug of bleach 

I rotated the seal through the ' bath ' a few times and

then let it sit in a stainless steel sink for a while

rinsed it off and it seemed to loose most of the aroma

I then order new seals .  I chose color coded

i think i got three.   

if you get multiple seals , make sure they are 

of similar heft as the originals 

i tried to do this by see the weight of one seal , 2 seals and 3 seals

knock offs are sometimes not worth it , but i did OK w my new seals I think

they looked and felt very similar to the originals 

im sure there is plenty of junk out there , so be aware !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Putting it out in the sun for a few hours after washing it will also help. I have two seals, red and blue. One is for highly seasoned stuff, one is for what is not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thank you all for the help with The Case of the Stinky Seal!  I did the dishwasher/sunshine method this time and it was ok.  I'll try the bleach/oxyclean next time. 

A project last week – IP beef stock.  The bones and veg roasted:

IMG_2535.thumb.jpg.99fa2f96ea5e247f295f39a9a420ed40.jpg

Stock after cooking in the IP and resting in the fridge to get cold:

IMG_2544.jpg.ccb088d70a51c404f2fc0bfef08c0103.jpg

Very beefy.  Three quarts of beef stock for the freezer with very little time or effort:

IMG_2545.jpg.356fcd77e84464ad505179408c725351.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

FWIW, from "hip PRESSURE COOKING" by Laura Pazzaglia, page 277 cooking chart for Pork Shank....35 - 40 min on high pressure NPR (I always us NPR for meat and the book says "Normal, Natural)

• Thanks 1

I've done it exactly once, and went with 45 minutes. Natural release wasn't planned, but happened.

My goal was to cook it very tender, for shredding, and that was indeed the end result.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Really?  Dry and tough.  Hummmm. That’s disappointing.

i put a smoked hock in my baked beans which gets cooked in a 220 f oven for six or so hours.  Then I take it out and take all the meat off...Meat is juicy and goes back in the bean pot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Really?  Dry and tough.  Hummmm. That’s disappointing.

i put a smoked hock in my baked beans which gets cooked in a 220 f oven for six or so hours.  Then I take it out and take all the meat off...Meat is juicy and goes back in the bean pot.

It makes more sense to me to make it that way as well.  Another way would be to cook it sous vide as I do with smoked picnic ham.  It turns out beautifully.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am truly losing confidence in the IP.  Or at least my ability to use it.  I attempted to make some hard-cooked eggs on Friday.  This is what my hard-cooked eggs from the IP looked like:

IMG_3400.jpg.28e020f6766d8185110cb7abdec5e89a.jpg

This is how they’ve looked with the exact same time, same method, same egg temp, same everything for months:

egg.jpg.2a3439908078f0f6400cd95f34b6a5e9.jpg

So that’s my hard-cooked egg issue.  Just recently, I had a problem with my long-standing method of soft-cooked eggs – they also turned out undercooked when I cooked them the same way and time that I’d been doing them for a few months. This was how they looked recently:

IMG_3277.thumb.jpg.6bacc92676904f9837844be585aa5ae5.jpg

Then, back in February, I did a “tried and true” spaghetti and meat sauce recipe in the IP and it turned into mush.  I honestly don’t know what’s going on, but if I can’t count on results, I know that this will turn into another attic appliance like my rotisserie oven and Mr. Kim’s giant juicer.  (I ended up cooking them ‘old-school’ on top of the stove.  They were fine.)

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Kim Shook, my best friend was about to despair of her IP for similar reasons. The thing just didn't seem to come up to proper temperature, considering how quickly it came up and how uncooked everything was. (It had been reliable before, as yours has until recently.) She took it apart and cleaned every nook cranny, valve and gasket, using Q-tips where necessary. She discovered that the PLUG wasn't fitting securely into the body of the machine. When she cleaned out the recesses where the plug prongs snap in, the IP went back to working normally!

I was surprised at this result, since it seems like the IP would either be getting juice or it wouldn't - but that's what she found. I suggest giving it a try.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Quick and easy meal in the IP last night-- Hawaiian chicken. Can of pineapple chunks with juice, two boneless skinless breasts, cut into one inch chunks. Lots of soy sauce, some sesame oil, some gochugang, some ginger. Not half bad.

Of course, I had to cook rice on the stove because the IP was busy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

Quick and easy meal in the IP last night-- Hawaiian chicken. Can of pineapple chunks with juice, two boneless skinless breasts, cut into one inch chunks. Lots of soy sauce, some sesame oil, some gochugang, some ginger. Not half bad.

Of course, I had to cook rice on the stove because the IP was busy.

You need a second IP.🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@kayb 

get a 3-qt for Rice , a few steamed potatoes , 6 pressure steamed ( LP ) eggs

etc.  make sure you get the bowl that fits above the water for the rice

maybe on sale Amazon Prime day ?

maybe Free Prime if you are lucky !

best purchase you ever made

or very close to it.

• Like 2