• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Sorry I'm not that coordinated, @blue_dolphin. I'm a pretty seat-of-the-pants cook, at least as far as chosen ingredients & volume of same. The best I can say is that I cook in a "similar way" to the way I've cooked before. I've been closely observing what has occurred with the Instant Pot but I don't know what I don't know.

Do you find the stovetop and the IP sauté functions similar? Or does one behave quite differently from the other?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

So, @robirdstx, you're suggesting that there is something very different between an Instant Pot and a stovetop burner. What?

I have no idea, but I have burned the bottom of a regular cooking pot on the stovetop and have not had it happen when using the Instant Pot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

So, @robirdstx, you're suggesting that there is something very different between an Instant Pot [edit: sauté function] and a stovetop burner. What?

53 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I have no idea, but I have burned the bottom of a regular cooking pot on the stovetop and have not had it happen when using the Instant Pot.

Aha, perfect! This states what I want to know exactly.

22 hours ago, TdeV said:

Sorry I'm not that coordinated, @blue_dolphin. I'm a pretty seat-of-the-pants cook, at least as far as chosen ingredients & volume of same. The best I can say is that I cook in a "similar way" to the way I've cooked before. I've been closely observing what has occurred with the Instant Pot but I don't know what I don't know.

Do you find the stovetop and the IP sauté functions similar? Or does one behave quite differently from the other?

The Instant Pot will automatically cycle on and off to keep a (relatively) stable temperature. If you have an electric stove, your burners will do that as well, but the difference is that the heating element in the Instant Pot is smaller in area. Of course if you have a gas stove, there's no cycling -- the flame is on all the time. It seems to me that the scorching on the bottom of your pot was probably caused by too high a heat and insufficient stirring. It's possible to get scorched food in an Instant Pot, but if you're cooking with the lid off (just to reduce a sauce, for instance), the heating element is designed to minimize that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 3/2/2020 at 2:59 PM, weinoo said:

2. Who the hell cooks pasta in an Instant-Pot? Oy.

Many people do, myself included. I don't do it often, but when I was working on my Instant Pot books, I included several recipes that cook pasta along with the sauce and other ingredients. It can work very well as long as you're careful to choose ingredients that cook at the same rate, get the liquid level right, and don't overcook the pasta. So, for instance, I have a recipe for ramen noodles, which of course cook very quickly, paired with shrimp and broccoli, both of which cook in the time the noodles do (pretty much the time it takes the pot to come to pressure, so no time actually cooking, with a quick release). I also have one for penne with sausage and peppers, which takes a bit longer -- 4 minutes cooking time, with quick release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im a FastaPasta man myself

but the above makes a great deal of sense 

if one is very careful 

just saying

and the iPot

not to derail etc

makes great Ragu

pasta in the Fasta 

Certainly seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I can boil enough water to cook ramen in the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure.  While that's happening, the shrimp and broccoli are cooking away in the broth. 

Seems like with pasta and ramen, there's just too great a chance to overcook the noodle in an instant pot. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo

""  there's just too great a chance to overcook the noodle in an instant pot.  ""

points taken

maybe the NYC water  ....

I think what matters is one's discernment 

and ability to Muti-Task w [NYC water ]   

the iPot might not work for you in this iteration 

but it might work for many others.

we get choices 

we keep track in a Red Engineering Lined notebook

which you should not loose

and have a nice meal.

I scoffed at the idea of cooking pasta in the Instant Pot, until I ran across a recipe for Chicken Bacon Penne in a Garlic Cream Sauce (from Pressure Cooking Today) and tried it. Delicious. As @JAZ notes, recipes that make the sauce while the pasta cooks in the same pot can work well in the Instant Pot and save some dishes afterward. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think its some things work well, possibly very well

with Method A , but not everything .

remember the days were you had to have 45 gallons of water to cook 1 lbs of pasta ?

and you had to put oil in the water ?

FastaPasta will give you identical pasta , once you understand the water::Pasta::Cooking time

and you save the small amount of water from the FP :  gives you very starchy water to

add back to the cooked pasta.

Clean up ?    forget spending time cleaning out that oily large pot you used to use.

meat , for me , unless ground (  i.e.Ragu , ) ends up noticeably better SV

And I have not done a cubes of meat rags yet 

but Id bet the SV rib meat  + iPot sauce ( aromatics , tomato , herbs and spices )

would have a better mouth-feel and chew

than just the meat  in the iPot at one time. , pasta your chosen method.

but that's a lot of time , unless you do SV in bulk , to make the rag  in portions

then freeze.

then there is the Thorny Issue of the Meat sauce you get

from short ribs cooked ' braise '  so flavors exude from the meat

and make your meat sauce.

" If its not in the Meat , it better be in the Sauce "

that why higher temp cooking of meat

is better the next day   some jus prefers to get back into the meat.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I’ve had a curse on my CSO hard cooked eggs lately.  After months of success, I haven’t been able to get them to peel cleanly for the last few dozen I’ve done.  So I decided to try the IP method again: 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pan, 5 minutes on high pressure, 5 minutes on natural release, then quick release and take the eggs out immediately.  I don’t do an ice bath because I suspect that tightens up the membrane (which is probably nonsense).  It worked great.  Perfectly cooked egg and both the hot one and the cold one I peeled worked perfectly:

DSCN0702.JPG.3a4184023acde930541b381d3bbd2d16.JPG

I realize that my results probably have more to do with the eggs than the method of cooking.  But these were lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

1 cup of water in the bottom of the pan, 5 minutes on high pressure, 5 minutes on natural release, then quick release and take the eggs out immediately.

I do 4 and 4 and then an ice bath and get great results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

In a thread about food processors (here), I asked why someone slices up veggies for stock, and @teonzo responded that more surface area in contact with water produces more flavourful stock.

I mentioned that I add whole onion, carrot and celery to the pressure cooker when making dried beans specifically so that the vegetables are easy to fish out of the bean stock. Teo told me to keep the vegetables in the stock.

Since it's about using the Instant Pot, I'm re-posting the question because I'd like more elucidation.

In my experience, cooking at high pressure for even 2 minutes is enough to make the vegetables mush.

What do you do?

18 minutes ago, TdeV said:

In a thread about food processors (here), I asked why someone slices up veggies for stock, and @teonzo responded that more surface area in contact with water produces more flavourful stock.

I mentioned that I add whole onion, carrot and celery to the pressure cooker when making dried beans specifically so that the vegetables are easy to fish out of the bean stock. Teo told me to keep the vegetables in the stock.

Since it's about using the Instant Pot, I'm re-posting the question because I'd like more elucidation.

In my experience, cooking at high pressure for even 2 minutes is enough to make the vegetables mush.

What do you do?

If I were making stock, I would remove the tired vegetables at the end, but when making beans, I would leave the sliced vegetables in with the beans.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Needed some serious comfort food the other day.  Managed to secure the ingredients for a brisket in gravy including a brisket, dry onion soup mix, and no salt beef broth.  I mashed up two recipes that I found and had some really good luck.  After 70 minutes of pressure cooking and 15 of natural release, this is what I got:

DSCN0755.JPG.656dee135f84aea0ba229cb075a3ccf1.JPG

Fully shredded (I might try careful slicing next time – it was just a little too shredded):

DSCN0756.JPG.5ff3b09577fbbc100e325fcbb9e671f3.JPG

Incredibly tender and moist.  I’m still shocked when the IP works like it is supposed to!  I somehow don’t “believe” in it until it proves itself once again.  I guess we’re past that pasta and red sauce incident.  Plated with the lovely gravy, green beans, mashed potatoes, and some oddly good corn that Mr. Kim picked up at Publix:

DSCN0757.JPG.78960d63576c5c6164603cb45bd617ac.JPG

I also had gotten some of the soft Hawaiian rolls from FL and they mopped up that gravy perfectly. If you would like to try it, here's the recipe.

• Like 7

@Kim Shook  Milk Street freebie courses has a Instant Pot class WITH a whole section on how to do pasta and sauce.  It's a pretty good course.  I've had an IP for a while and thought "I'll enroll in the class and probably won't find it useful".  I was Wrong.   The course documents and recipes are downloadable in pdf form.  The videos and the host are pleasing and do not feel time-wasted to me.  I do have a short attention span, internet style.   I say Check It Out.  

Milk Street online courses (free)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since I had such good luck using the IP for hard cooked eggs, I thought I'd give it a try for soft cooked ones.  It is probably my favorite  way to have eggs and, to me, the hardest to do well.  I can poach an egg better than I can soft cook one.  I was really happy with the results:

IMG_1771.thumb.jpg.52ceb1038bf30b0a0101d9d6839a6905.jpg

This was a cup of cool water, 5 minutes LOW pressure, fast release.  Then 30 seconds cold water bath, 5 seconds under cold running water and back into the water bath for 3 minutes.  Not sure that back and forth between the water bath and running water is necessary, but - like I said before - why argue with success?  I think I'll try 4 minutes next time.  

• Like 8