• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

nope.

I might make one , hopefully no more

experiments  w the bag I have,

this is Operator Error 

I think.

big still looking good :

No Weevils ,

Greater nor Lessor :

Ref :  " Master and Commander "  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World

good movie for Chips anjd Dips

no pantry moths 

nada.

I enjoyed that scene, being notoriously partial to a pun myself.

My ex and I concocted a five-level scale for measuring one's response to a pun, with a weary eyeroll representing level 1 and physical violence representing level 5. :P

(Edited to clarify: "physical violence" in this context consisted of her pummeling my shoulder with her fists, while giving vent to theatrical howls of rage, as my kids laughed hysterically...)

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

did a plain basmati rice in the iPot to go w pork belly :

P4.thumb.jpg.e5c08522024c4806c4dbaa4d1d9af7f8.jpg

indeed it just needed more water than Id been using

go figure.

" Back in the Saddle Again ."

Yay!!!  And that pork belly looks meaty.  I hesitate to order it in a restaurant because I've seen some too-fatty-for-me belly on tv shows.  But Costco has some nice, thick slices that look pretty meaty.  How did you cook yours?  The fat looks like cracklin' - just gorgeous!

I had the opportunity to rejoice in having two IP's today! It all began with some Rancho Gordo "Eye of the Goat" beans, the leftover knuckles from our most recent smoked pork hocks, and a desperate need to start clearing out refrigerator drawers. I pressure cooked the beans with the pork bones. It took a lot more time and water than I'd expected to get those beans creamy, but when I did they were fabulous. Rather than dirty up a bowl to strain out the bean liquor, I decided to use the other IP liner pot. Then I thought: why not use the other IP? Into that bowl went mushrooms to become duxelles, then a touch of oil, then chopped onions, celery, red bell pepper and a couple of smoked bratwurst sliced into coins to brown.

20191013_212904.jpg

When that was all cooked, the beans (left pot) were spooned in along with some of the pot liquor. You can see the finished dish here, where I rhapsodize about the Rancho Gordo "Eye of the Goat" beans. 

We were both well pleased, although my darling shook his head at the display of IP's on the kitchen island, with our lovely stove languishing in the background. It's true, it could all have been done on stovetop...but I do like the pressure-cooker aspect of the IP.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

with our lovely stove languishing in the background.

Exactly this.  I don't need a range anymore.  I need the versatile counter space where the range is and under the vent fan.  I can pull out an induction hob(s), or an IP, or a SV device and do the cooking and then (theoretically) put them away.    My cheapo Oster ovens live on the patio on a rolling cart where I do the baking.

One of the most common IP damages comes from people using the range top as the place for their IP cooking (I assume in very small kitchens) and then accidentally turning on a burner and melting the base of the IP.    I believe the stand alone range will be fading into history for kitchen designs of the future.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 4

I have one of those tabletop Iwatani butane burners, so I also can cook during a power outage too 😁 .

I was specifically referring to my personal situation, an all electric range in an all electric kitchen.  I've never lived where there was a gas stove, so I have no experience with them.   I can see the benefit of the gas or LP stove in power outs.

I made some failed pork belly , SV then CSO as noted above

Im posting my conclusion here as the Failed PorkPic is above.

the Rice + Ginger ( from  Fz ) + LemonGrass  ( From Fz ) is the pot's workP1.thumb.jpg.97d40d1992906ecbbe9d81a93fdf0024.jpg

saved FPork , + CSO drippings .  Note the whiter fat , and the Jus below

P2.thumb.jpg.f2a017727fde884ecbe42b56a7a06017.jpg

P3.thumb.jpg.93669e85ed3b556bb4f5f7ad0e187558.jpg

FP sliced 

P4.thumb.jpg.5730f4632fb6d5f136747aa5c57c2599.jpg

diced

P5.thumb.jpg.91ec98b259ab186e3ed6c67aa4457620.jpg

sauté until crunchy with the T-fal pan , a favorite of mine :

P6.thumb.jpg.9ca0bd0a6a9423e695554fa08fe8877f.jpg

added to IPot'd Ginger-LemonGrass basmati :

P7.thumb.jpg.330aaff36521ea9179cbd359217b64fa.jpg

I keep the ginger and LG fairly large so they can be taken out of the IPot Pot easily :

P8.thumb.jpg.15b457c5dff7884695701ebd23cde5c6.jpg

this was delicious :  the pork was saved  , crunchy and tender at the same time , and porky !

I added Tj's dried cranberries and cashew nuts after an initial taste 

turned out to be very tasty.

If you have Ginger and LemonGrass , and like those flavors , try adding them to your next batch of Bowl-in-a-Bowl  basmati or rice of your choice

very nice as is.    well , you could add some butter to the finished rice if you like.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Late Lunch // Early Diner :

1631801443_PanangiPotdRice.thumb.jpg.c515359936f8618377f870415f111458.jpg

Panang (  Maesri ) Rice w Mix-Ins.

iPot Bowl-in-a-Bowl  Basmati , w ginder slices and lemon grass add-ins , + 1/3 d can  ( small can ) of Maesri Panang 

Fpork , sawute'd as before , cilantro and green onion tops  + cashews from Tj's

nice , very nice

not sure there Panang is my favorite flavoring for rice like this.   it was very nice over rice noodles w duck

from my fav take out.

on another note :  my iPot V1 for me  ( V2 iPot ) still is not completely happy with its life just now

even w the new gasket , it leaked a bit of steam , and the valve did not pot up as it usually does , just bleed steam

I took the lid off , reseated it and tried again .  it needed a swift bang on the lid to complete the cooking.

the news seal is not ' Inastant Pots "  but I think there might be some wear on the metal parts so that sometimes

I get a good seal , and sometimes not quite.  it takes very little pressure on the lid handle while its leaking

to get a complete seal.

as fo me , the iPot is an essential tool ,  one button fool proof   ( nice ! )

as I only use timed manual.

I may move on to an iPot that's still resting comfortably in its box.

this machine is 4 and one month old.  its not worth it to me to have to

jiggle , jaggle and bang the top.

Im sure it might be fixed and lead a longer life

just not my me.

not quite yet , but maybe 

R.I.P  iPot # 1

I of course will keep the inner Ss pot , and trivet , and new seal

I have two iPot seals , clear-opaque , but don't know where they are

or slots of other things.

• Like 4

All good ideas

very good ideas

as Im sure the issue with Old Faithful  

is something small , and not life-threatening to OF.

Ill look this all over and might even call iPot again.

that it takes so little manual pressure on the lid handle 

to get a right seal , and then it works fine.

more later !

thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Again , I appreciate all the comments from eG'ers

esp @lemniscate

i opened iPot, a Duo Plus 60.

iPotBTW is an Ultra 60.

and looked at that gasket. 

I also looked at the iPot`1 new replacement blue gasket

and indeed , it was not completely centered on the wire thingy

which was not bent.

so I did a Test in iPot1  

1 1/2 cut water in the bottom , 2 cups water in the Ss bowl

to stimulate the BitB rice

and everything worked out fine , as usual.

as it used to do.

so thanks eG !

BTW , FD :  had I moved to iPot2

I would have had a very keen 

for a 8 Qt to put in the line-up

for Larger Volumes of Stock.

at an especially attractive sale price.

Ill have to lust for something else 

An Anova Oven ?

not holding my breath their

so thanks again eG

and

@lemniscate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I made a soup today - nothing special, just a vegetable/ meatball one.  I used my non-stick pot as I wanted to brown the meatballs.  They stuck like glue.  I have tried using the non-stick pot a few other times and find that food sticks to it something terrible.  I have never had a non-stick pot perform so poorly.   Does anyone else have the same problem?  I'm thinking of sending a letter of complaint to them.

Another question - does anyone know of a setting the IP has that will allow you to actually simmer something?  I tried slow cook, soup, and low saute and none of those worked.  I recall seeing a chart once of the temperatures the IP maintained at different settings but I can't remember where I saw it and the instruction book doesn't have it.

On my Duo, I've  had some success on simmering at saute set to the "low" setting. Which I believe I read somewhere is equivalent to the slow cook, high setting.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, ElsieD said:

They stuck like glue.

Do you heat your pot up on saute before putting the meatballs in?  I get mine super hot (I also add some sort of oil) and then add whatever I'm browning.  Doesn't stick for me that way--using just the regular insert that comes with the IP.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kayb said:

On my Duo, I've  had some success on simmering at saute set to the "low" setting. Which I believe I read somewhere is equivalent to the slow cook, high setting.

I tried that and I got a rolling boil.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Do you heat your pot up on saute before putting the meatballs in?  I get mine super hot (I also add some sort of oil) and then add whatever I'm browning.  Doesn't stick for me that way--using just the regular insert that comes with the IP.

Yes, I do.  The metal pot doesn't stick as badly as the non-stick.  Go figure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, I do.  The metal pot doesn't stick as badly as the non-stick.  Go figure.

Weird.  I don't have the non-stick.  

I wish I could help more but I just don't  know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A year ago, I posted about a nice little stand that Target was selling that worked really well for Instant Pots. I did buy one and it languished in the box in our storage room until today, when I FINALLY put it together. It's not hard to assemble and it really does the trick, so I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner (though to be fair to myself, we were away from this house for six months or more). I have the 6 qt IP on the top, the Mini IP on the bottom with its Slow Cook lid, and other lids and some steamer baskets on the middle shelf. 

The beauty of this for me is that the stand fits perfectly inside the pantry and it's very lightweight and can be quickly and easily pulled out when needed. I have an electrical outlet right outside the pantry and a bit of space there so I can conveniently cook on the stand itself, then slide the whole thing back into the pantry when I'm done. So it really clears up some space for me and could possibly even hold a bit more!  😀 

Pantry door is just to the left and kitchen is to the side. 

IMG_20191101_140745.thumb.jpg.3a35cf9c042a07bd92b5b2b2bf065f46.jpg

IMG_20191101_140904.thumb.jpg.d4002b2aa733986964ea55248d4ce4c2.jpg

IMG_20191101_141211.thumb.jpg.fbe9536834017087ede0bef7c048d826.jpg

IMG_20191101_144558.thumb.jpg.45ad745852d9ea5ab936c1a15b786c9a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Beef stew, made in the IP with tri-tip trimmings, mushrooms, carrots, potato, peas, celery, onion and a bit of barley.  I cooked the meat, mushrooms, onions and celery (and liquid, barley and spices), on high pressure for 30 minutes, quick release.  Then added the potato, carrots and frozen peas and cooked for another 10 minutes.  This bifurcated method lets the meat get tender without over-cooking the veggies.

beef-stew-5.jpg.0cc24a817a7559fcfe9d7371aef9824c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@FauxPas - that is just perfect!  I wish I had room for that somewhere.  My IP lives under my side board in my living room along with Mr. Kim's collection of 2 liter sodas he finds on sale (he says I'll be glad he found them when the holidays come🙄)  .  

Used the IP to make two things for dinner last night.  I made pintos and ham hock:

DSCN0260.JPG.8f5fcf6191b7f8dbd9ed590dddb094b0.JPG

I've made this before and thought it needed another few minutes cooking.  I was right.  I did 55 minutes and they were perfect and creamy.  I saved the liquid and will use it and the leftover beans to make soup.  I also tried a new recipe for green beans and potatoes.  Before cooking:

DSCN0259.JPG.e5bdb697b8bf0b0681db019aa5443315.JPG

The recipe recommended 5 minutes pressure cook and a quick release.  Mine took twice as long.  I'm sure that many folks would have been perfectly satisfied with them after 5 minutes, but I was raised on REAL country beans - the kind that have given up the fight.  So I did another 5 minutes and they were perfect for me (oddly enough, the potatoes weren't overdone):

DSCN0266.JPG.0e32553605e629bebe61d1e945af91d0.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

that is just perfect!  I wish I had room for that somewhere.  My IP lives under my side board in my living room along with Mr. Kim's collection of 2 liter sodas he finds on sale (he says I'll be glad he found them when the holidays come🙄)  .  

yes, it really is a perfect solution for this place. As I said, kicking myself for not doing it sooner. 

Laughing about the 2 liter sodas....  😀

• Haha 1