• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

guess what's for donner tonight ? , leftovers for tomorrow.  different Thai paste.  excellent cold for breakfast.

Wow. Thanks. I’m inspired. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

what I like about this prep is that its so easy.

I enjoy a little miss , but the cooking is fool-proof , and unattended 

the only variable that matters is the water to rice ratio which will determine the texture of the finished rice.

things that need cooking to into the initial pot , and any sort of paste-flavor and be tried.

I stick w Indian Patak paste , and now Thai Paste. the rest gets added at the end into the hot rice.

Ive used bok-choy , spinach , and other leafy greens.  

and the leftover are very very nice and right there in the refrig for the next day.

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

@rotuts - check out Haiga rice...it has been our new found favourite (and the best of both worlds between healthy and tasty) for a while now...

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/japanese-haiga-mai-rice-healthier-alternative-to-brown-rice-and-white-rice-article

I tried a bag but did not care for it much at all.  But then I cannot abide brown rice so your rice mileage may vary.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I tried a bag but did not care for it much at all.  But then I cannot abide brown rice so your rice mileage may vary.

We too did not enjoy brown rice (and it did not like some of us either)...  It is a tough grain to digest (much of it is not digestible, and most of its 'health benefits' are lost in the process).

I was told about Haiga by a Chinese friend being touted as the 'best of both world' - it has the flavour of white rice (with a touch of nuttiness) and some health benefits trickling over from its brown cousin.

What did you not care for? 

Im having problems w my iPot :

its not that easy to get the lid in the correct position to then turn to the L to lock.

some times it looks to me to be in the correct position but wont turn.

I try several more times.

eventually it does turn and lock , and I get the musical chimes.

but the back of the lid seemed loose.

Ive started a cooking session and found steam escaping out  the back of the lid , and thus it never got to pressure for that session.

this happened once , and Im more careful to get a better seal and lock initially

the last cooking session , it lost pressure before the 10 minutes I wanted, on its own.    the rice was not completely cooked because of this

I though this might be because the sealing gasket was getting old, and I have a new  one somewhere   

but why its hard to get the lid in the position to turn to the L  seems like another sort of problem.

this  used to be easy to do.   and the lild giggles sometimes after the chime /

have you and any of these symptoms and what did you do to fix them ?

many thanks

I could pull out Reserve # 1 , but then Id have to be on the hunt for another Reserve,

hopefully I can find that reserve gasket and try that.

@rotuts   I just had the "steam escaping" around the edges situation with my 3+ year old IP.  Original gasket.   I had bought a pack of 3 replacement gaskets a couple years back on Amazon Black Friday and they were "somewhere" also LOL.

My IP gets almost daily use so that gasket had given its life.

I managed to find them and swapped the old one.  The IP was now not leaking steam around the edges.

I don't recall having lid seating issues.

I'd replace the gasket first as fastest and easiest troubleshooting technique.

I took a screenshot from IP lid Troubleshooting FAQ's for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 6.30.05 AM.png

• Like 1

i found my gaskets.   Im betting I have more than one set.

this set was 2 green and two blue.   I installed the news blue gasket and testing now

so far so good

still seems harder to properly set initially than before

but no doubt that's my imagination.

Id like someone to test seething for me that I never noticed before

and might be irrelevant :  when you ' set ' the lild , by rotating to the L for the triangle is in the middle

when the control panel is , is there some . up and down slight ' give ' with the lild ?

I never noticed this , and it might have always been there.

and no, im not inventing excuses to try out iPot # 2 , still in the box.

on sale way back when for 89 USD.  its a newer version !

thanks

@rotuts  I just tried this with both my 3 quart and my 6 quart and both lids closed smoothly, no "up and down give".  But, I have noticed this when I'm doing a two part cook in the IP.  It seems that when everything is hot, I need to push the lid down a bit to rotate it to the closed position for cook part 2.  Not sure if that answers your question.

I called iPot.

they answered !

hill going over the issues

I wonder if 1 cut of water w no other ' displacement ' in the iPot

will not keep pressure for the full 10 minutes

they sent me an email ticket w some tests to do.

right now Im doing my own test :  1 cut + water below the trivit

the bowl for the rice w just water in it  ( displacing volume in the iPot )  and we will see

very unusual a large company still has  ****  pleasant customer service ***  these days

they are cream Canada , Eh ?   that probably explains it.

while chatting wq the rep , I pointed out egullet.org

and he and the office will be all over eG soon.

can't say how fat Ottawa is from Montreal

but the rep is a serious student of Schwartz's  in Montreal

Ho9t Smoked Meat is not Pastrami , as once as Pastramik is

HSM is Pastrami , on Steroids .

more later

P,S,:   the rep has 5 iPots.

must have a nice company discount !

I put in a good word for the CSO

and he is all over that, from Canada.

suprise.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

P.S.:

iPot back to normal.

w/o  displacement of cooking contents 

above the 1 cup water +

the iPot cools naturally before the 10 minute marks

I did the exp. w the bowl over the 1 cup water +

and the bowl w 2 cups water

6 min HP

and it took over 10 minutes to cool

things fine.

appreciate your help.

• Like 2

well , OK.

not to take over this thread

but iPot is Canadienne , Eh ?

I drove tro Montreal 4 - 5 times

when I was in training , in BOS.

a Scut Dog.  as it should be.

discovered Schwartz's

but id lived in France and Spain so

I called Directory Assistance 

on the Old Style Phones

in my pretty bad French , still a bit worse than Montreal Fr

I ask the D.A. for directions , in my Bad French 

for a really good French Bakery

it took some time for her to understand but

i got directions to a small and delicious French bakery just to the L  or SW

of the Mount itself 

walking in 

Back in France , itself !

Yum Yum !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Montreal is a 2 hour drive from Ottawa.

I'm actually kind of surprised, I didn't remember it being that long.

But then the last time I passed that way it was pretty much a bumper-to-bumper, white-knuckle sprint at 120-140km/h the whole way from Arnprior to the other side of Montreal. That trauma has probably colored my recollection of the drive, somewhat. :P

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

We too did not enjoy brown rice (and it did not like some of us either)...  It is a tough grain to digest (much of it is not digestible, and most of its 'health benefits' are lost in the process).

I was told about Haiga by a Chinese friend being touted as the 'best of both world' - it has the flavour of white rice (with a touch of nuttiness) and some health benefits trickling over from its brown cousin.

What did you not care for? 

The taste.  I did not throw the bag away, I ate it.  But I would not buy again.  The brand was Tamaki.  I love their white rice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

There's a growing body of evidence that indigestibility - in the forms of fiber and resistant starches - *is* a primary health benefit. That being said, brown rice is not especially high in fiber as grains go.

I personally eat brown/red rice* much, much more than white rice, because I like the flavor and extra "chew," but have no real axe to grind either way. We like what we like.

(*and millet and quinoa and barley and freekeh and bulgur, and so on...)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Made spaghetti and meat sauce in the IP tonight.  All meezed this afternoon and tonight it was 35 minutes from sauteing the meat to serving up.  It wasn't the most delicious meat sauce I've ever eaten, but the pasta was perfect and I can work on the flavor!  This was weird to do:

DSCN0165.JPG.04ce32e14c225609676fa6798269d951.JPG

But this is what it turned out like:

DSCN0167.JPG.1605d01ca8a144f3a1b65c25c3a232e4.JPG

• Like 3

bit vexed here.

[ F.D.:  haven't used that word in quite a while ! ]

I made my usual rice dish the other day :  1 heaping cup basmati + just over a cup of water

i9n the Bowl-in-the-bowl method,  Ive done this many times and the rice + mix-ins were perfect

6 min HP , 10 minute release

yesterdays rice was too firm.    Id like to blame the new gasket some how

but it can't be that.    its not that hard to measure a heaping cut of rice :  you scoop

the one cup measure into the rice bag , and you get a heaping cup.

same w measuring the water for the rice !

so ; what's your idea of my error ?  I think Ill add a little more water next time.

then again , I used more Thai Curry Paste  and was wondering if acid in the

rice + water  can affect how rice cooks ?

any idea ?

very odd and vexing !

nope.

I might make one , hopefully no more

experiments  w the bag I have,

this is Operator Error 

I think.

big still looking good :

No Weevils ,

Greater nor Lessor :

Ref :  " Master and Commander "  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World