• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

will the rubber on the bottom do well under iPot conditions

I'm curious about this too.  I have a set of these (maybe not the same ones, but I did get them off Amazon) and I love them but have been hesitant to try in the IP.

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Maybe lol but I don't use it for that......  I put the rice right in the bottom of the IP pot.

OK, I'm going to bust in here and ask what you do for rice. Last night I did rice (jasmine) in the bottom of the IP pot after soaking and washing and soaking again said rice. I used 2 parts water to 1 part rice (that is, 2 parts water to the dry rice before I soaked and washed it). I cooked on 4 minutes high pressure, then 10 minutes natural release. It was gummy. I let it steam, covered but without active heat, for another 5 - 10 minutes. It was still gummy. It worked out reasonably well since we wanted it to mix with and soak up sauce from another dish, but it was not what I'd been planning. I could swear I didn't have this problem last year, but it seems I didn't keep notes.

What do you do: rice type, ratio of rice to water, IP settings and time?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@ Smithy - the IP is a great machine, but when I do rice (3 or more times a week) I use a Zojirushi NP-HCC10 rice cooker. I know it's a 1 trick pony and pricey, but does many different types of rice and while it takes a while to finish, I just start it ahead of time and it has a keep warm function that actually works. The rice is perfect every time. It even has a setting for Gaba brown rice that is supposed to be healthy, I'm not healthy so I haven't tried it😛.

p

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I know you were asking @Shelby but I follow these guidelines from the Instant Pot website using the manual cooking times given and equal volumes of washed (wet) rice and water.

I most often cook pot-in-pot but get good results directly in the pot as well and get good results with Jasmine, Basmati and brown rice. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

OK, I'm going to bust in here and ask what you do for rice. Last night I did rice (jasmine) in the bottom of the IP pot after soaking and washing and soaking again said rice. I used 2 parts water to 1 part rice (that is, 2 parts water to the dry rice before I soaked and washed it). I cooked on 4 minutes high pressure, then 10 minutes natural release. It was gummy. I let it steam, covered but without active heat, for another 5 - 10 minutes. It was still gummy. It worked out reasonably well since we wanted it to mix with and soak up sauce from another dish, but it was not what I'd been planning. I could swear I didn't have this problem last year, but it seems I didn't keep notes.

Using regular Uncle Ben's rice

1 cup of rice

1 1/2 cups of water

Stir

8 minutes on high.  Quick release.

I am sure I've done jasmine in the same manner but I must not have written it down.  I would bet that I rinsed the jasmine first.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Depends. If I'm cooking rice by itself, I do 1:1.25 of rice to water; rinse rice first, and use the "rice" setting, which I think is 12 minutes on low pressure, then npr until I'm ready for it. I do a lot of pot-in-pot rice in a stackable tin, with protein/sauce in the bottom tin for part of the time it needs, then add the rinsed rice and water, same proportion, in the second tin on top, and do 12 minutes, HP, and 10-minute npr. Has worked well for me. I had a cheapie Rival rice cooker which I stuck in the garage sale box when I got my IP.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, rotuts said:

I found this bowl on AMZN :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00555EN58/ref=psdc_289696_t1_B00TNPEW7K

the question is , will the rubber on the bottom do well under iPot conditions ?

it looks very similar to the Tovolo

It claims that the non-skid bottom is silicone, which has never been a problem for me in the IP. But who knows of what quality.

The main issue I see with all of those is the design of their rim -- the wide, flat rim will reduce the usable capacity quite a bit. Not an issue for a smaller bowl, but not ideal for a larger one.

I tend to use bowls with straight sides and unadorned edges for IP use. Most are things I've had for ages -- in particular, smaller bowls that came with old Sunbeam Mixmasters work great.

For current production stuff, this IKEA bowl works great:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/blanda-blank-serving-bowl-stainless-steel-20057255/

It's only ~2.2qt, but I'd think a taller version rather than a half sphere would be almost ideal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried using the IP to make a dozen hard boiled eggs with my little rack:

DSCN0117.JPG.549b0a9f96262a7e86c381ce53e80c7a.JPG

At 5 minutes, they came out a little underdone:

DSCN0118.JPG.18d5fe2b0b47c40d606f8a0ddcfa5e17.JPG

Couldn’t have been any easier, though – just 1 cup of water, eggs on the rack, 5 minutes at highest pressure, release pressure, and put eggs in ice water.  Maybe 6 or 7 minutes?  The texture was excellent and not a hint of green (I tend to get a little green).  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Well, what am I gonna do with my cute little egg rack then?  LOL

Put eggs in cute little egg rack.  Place in CSO.   Set CSO to 210F steam and let steam for 22 minutes.  Take all eggs out of the CSO at once because they are all safely ensconced in the cute little egg rack.  Done!😀

• Haha 3

both work well

just keep track of your times and temps.

on the iPot , consider using LowPressure.

and  in the iPot , Ive done 18 from the refrigerator , in a basket

above the 1 cup of water , with the trivit

and then plunged the basket in cold tap water etc

and then dried the eggs when tap water cool

and sued them for some time for

egg salad , potato salad 

etc.

but that Red lined book , has been misplaced 

yikes.

• Thanks 1

I love 3 minute IP eggs.  QR and iced, soft cooked white and creamy gooey yolk perfect for me.  

The household detests creamy gooey yolks.  8 minute, QR and iced are their wish.  No green line yolk, fully cooked whites and eggs are ready for eating out of hand, or deviled or egg salad.   I don't get excited about egg salad or deviled.    I like just straight ahead 3 minute eggs  if I'm doing boiled for eating.

I use the metal trivet and a silicone net cooking bag.  Since using the bag, I get no or very seldom cracked eggs during cooking.  Used to get at least one per batch before.

Eggs are cold, right out of fridge prior to cooking.  Costco cheap ones.

I have a 6 qt Duo IP.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone.  I'm going to try all of these methods/times/etc. until I get my eggs EXACTLY how I want them.  Then I'll be to work on the perfect soft boiled eggs - firm whites (no <shiver> snot!!) and warm, runny yolks.  Mr. Kim and Jessica are going to get so sick of eggs.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I was researching my pressure cooker books, I tried low and high pressure and altered the times and other variables, and what I found was that everything makes a difference with pressure cooked eggs. Once I used the same amount of water, the same sized eggs, the same time and the same release, but used a different (higher) trivet, and the eggs were underdone. What I suggest in my books is to experiment until you get the results you want, and then do everything exactly the same -- amount of water, temp and size of the eggs, trivet or egg rack, time and release time.

Despite all the eggs I've pressure cooked and despite that I've gotten pretty good at it, I still steam eggs without pressure and get much more reliable and forgiving results.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Put eggs in cute little egg rack.  Place in CSO.   Set CSO to 210F steam and let steam for 22 minutes.  Take all eggs out of the CSO at once because they are all safely ensconced in the cute little egg rack.  Done!😀

I'm sorry, I realize that this is a CSO question on an IP thread, but do you then put the cooked eggs in ice water to stop the cooking process?

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm sorry, I realize that this is a CSO question on an IP thread, but do you then put the cooked eggs in ice water to stop the cooking process?

I do.  But, I also like eating hard "boiled" eggs while they are hot so I just run enough cold water over them to be able to handle them.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, lemniscate said:

So do you not use the IP at all for boiled eggs?   I didn't think you could steam without pressure in the IP.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't use the IP for my eggs. Some electric multi-cookers can steam without pressure, but Instant Pots can't (as far as I know -- maybe the newest model can).

• Like 1

ive been working with iPot'd rice.  Ive been using the Pot-in-the-Pot method.

my rice is Basmati ,   http://www.daawat.com   the blue bag , 10 lbs  $ 15 at the Indian emporium , two towns over,

https://www.amazon.com/Daawat-Traditional-Basmati-Rice-Pound/dp/B00B3ARYDC  at Amazon.

the store has the Golden version ,, Ill try that next .  Im happy with this rice.  nice nuttiness to it.

my measurements are 1 heaping cup rice ,,  washed in cold waster to remove rice flour , drained , then 1 cup cold water into the Pot that goes into the pot :

this ratio is important as it will determine the texture of the finished race :  a little more water will give you a wetter end-rice

Mise :

1534502284_iPR1.thumb.jpg.a9aa8fd1707ef01608aea05d1f6180db.jpg

1192854767_iPR3.thumb.jpg.8dd7e4ce9ffe986835188512e22892c6.jpg

I like these Chinese Sausages ( USA )  they are a little sweet , and a bit like char sui.  only a bit.  I peel them to remove the casing :  pic 1.  score w a sharp knife , and

peel a bit w your clean finger nail , then remove and chop.   Ginger from Fz , in thin pieces.  I use a SS Chinese cleaver w a mallet to carefully cut these shavings . 

keeping my fingers intact,   LemonGrass , cut lengthwise , then peeled into individual layers.  easy to take out of the rice at the end.  Chopped cilantro , and green onion ( added after the cooking )

dried Tj's cranberries are added after cooking as are the  beaten eggs , to be cooked separately and added to the pot after the iPot'ing.  thai curry paste , added to the rice to get this :

788014526_iPR2.thumb.jpg.fc905f04eec82357a72ff7c4eb0bbef7.jpg

then this , mixed and ready for the iPot :

254602325_iPR4.thumb.jpg.f4c5b81fdbdfc5bd8de865da9acca515.jpg

after cooking ,

HP , 6 minutes , over 1 cup water using the trivet.  10 minute release .  works well for me.

the cranberries , cilantro , green onions are then  added , along w the cooked scrambled eggs .  i remove the ginger and lemongrass  sticks before mixing every thing up.  

finished bowl , w/o the nuts :

350955481_iPR5.thumb.jpg.1d4594cd49d20fff2a00170d35e78b83.jpg

the cashew nuts are added to each plate-full , as I frequently have extra , on purpose,  for the next day.  I think the nuts get soggy if kept overnight in the rice.

iPR6.thumb.jpg.7302d7a6028ce73f6d84b82e2ba123e1.jpg

finished plate.   easy to do , and tasty.    Im trying other flavor add-ins each time I make this , mostly Thai Curry pasty from different cans at the moment 

I also make a similar " Rice + mix-ins " using Patak Byriani paste. that too is very tasty .  you get the idea.

guess what's for donner tonight ? , leftovers for tomorrow.  different Thai paste.  excellent cold for breakfast.

don't forget to add fresh cashews in the AM

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1