• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried making a terrine in the Instant Pot?   I am looking at recipes for terrine de campagne, and all use a bain marie for cooking.  Since custards do very well in the IP, any reason a small terrine wouldn't work under pressure/steam as a substitute for the bain marie? 

A SV system. an iPot , and a Combi-Oven :

The Holy Trinity of Cooking.

although there are many fine things out there

nothing comes close to The Trinity for changing Cooking

it seems at All Levels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_7909.thumb.JPG.89b95581159e0c34617f23e1b97f55fe.JPG

Spotted on the pass at the new Jean Georges' restaurant, The Fulton. Holding black rice, for one of the dishes.

Could that be a toaster against the wall? Maybe a Dualit?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Alex

interesting an eagle eye pick up

it seems to have at least 6 slots , maybe more ?

why don't se send

@weinoo

around

some exercise will do him good

wash out the AB isseus

no Uber now 

just walking.

I think it's just the back of the stove.  In any event...The Fulton.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Need a recipe for spareribs in the IP - without a lot of fuss, and I would hope no broiling, though I would certainly broil in the CSO!

This is pretty simple and my friends and I have made this a few times.  The only thing is how you like your ribs:  fall off the bone or with a little bite...adjust cooking time as you already know...also depends on the size.  I've only cooked back ribs.

In the IP pot add:

6 oz apple juice, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and your ribs...standing on their side snaked inside the pot.  Braise/Meat setting for 32 minutes with 10 min slow release.  Broil after applying BBQ Sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, like that, except I don't use the cider vinegar (though I might!) and I sprinkle the ribs down with a dry barbecue rub first.

Definitely broil with bbq sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sounds easy enough; I've already prepped the ribs by removing silver skin and coating with a dry rub.  I actually got a jar of dry rub as a gift with my last order from Penzey's, and I used 1/3 of that jar!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Need a recipe for spareribs in the IP - without a lot of fuss, and I would hope no broiling, though I would certainly broil in the CSO!

The best spareribs I've enjoyed in quite some months were indeed no fuss, no muss -- but not out of an IP* nor in the CSO.  The recipe for Tuscan ribs was from a Cooks Illustrated** issue earlier this summer.  Spareribs simply grilled without sauce or rub on my Philips grill.  Merely thinking of them makes me twitch.

*which I of course don't own.

**hangs head in shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Id like to know if the ' crisp lid ' really works , from a reliable eG source.

review at Amazon are interesting to read

and Id advise those who might get this to read them first.

one said it really didn't air-fry.

so  hopeful that someone here puts it through its paceas

it seems to it on top of the iPod and do its work in the unit but not the iPot,

looking forward to your detailed review.suprise.gif.0c1a9f73a2050f48b953e4b90a7b2054.gif

Score!

Tip du jour: when you are making stuck, put all your solids in this and then add water and seasoning. then you can just lift them out and dispose easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hello all. If there is anyone here who is still on the fence about purchasing one of these, today ONLY, QVC has an Instant Pot 6 Quart Duo-Plus 9-in-1 unit for $79.98. I already have the same version and was smugly smiling at the fact that I had bought this last year for two cents less except............. this one comes with a glass lid (mine did not) which can cost an additional $12.50-$25.00--I plan on getting one for use with the slow cooker feature AND it's free shipping and handling. BTW the host said that this will be the cheapest price for it for the rest of the year.

Here's a link to all the particulars:

https://www.qvc.com/Instant-Pot-6-qt-Duo-Plus-9-in-1-Pressure-Cooker-with-Glass-Lid.product.K49640.html?sc=TSV

Even if you already own an IP, if you know someone who's interested in getting one I think that this would be a great gift for that person.

• Thanks 1

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

im looking for a larger bowl for bowl-in-bowl cooking in the ipot.

I have the Tovolo 1.5 qt bowl , and I like it a lot.

there seems to be a 3.5 qt Tovolo , but not on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Quart/dp/B001C0B02E/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_all_spx_wp_0_5/131-8559044-3212828?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001C0B02E&pd_rd_r=cbd52da6-68cf-4027-a9ce-2854999e69ba&pd_rd_w=hsSiv&pd_rd_wg=V8pKR&pf_rd_p=ffd394b3-6bb0-43ec-8bd8-b3dd44ab44d6&pf_rd_r=VAE48B6MYMC5Y2NT2KBK&refRID=VAE48B6MYMC5Y2NT2KBK&th=1

of note AMZN lists its dimensions as :  12.63 x 4.5 x 1.38.     an odd sort of bowl if true

its : 7 " x 7 " x 4 "  more or less

I found this bowl on AMZN :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00555EN58/ref=psdc_289696_t1_B00TNPEW7K

the question is , will the rubber on the bottom do well under iPot conditions ?

it looks very similar to the Tovolo

your thoughts ?

then there  is this one :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TNPEW7K/ref=psdc_289696_t3_B001C0B02E

but it dimensions seem to be 

10 x 10 x 5  which might not fit.  the 6 qt iPot bowl seems to be 8.5 " wide  

and 5.5 " deewpd w the trivet in place.

Edited by rotuts (log)