• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

That said is the IP “idiot proof”?

No, it is not "idiot proof" or at least not "blue_dolphin proof" 🙃 As you can tell from reading the threads, most of us have gone through a learning curve involving a fair amount of trial and error.  I've had my share of mess-ups but overall, I've found it a worthwhile addition to my kitchen.

For me, a stovetop pressure cooker required an annoying amount of attention while in use.  I very much appreciate the ease of being able to set up the Instant Pot and walk away without coming back every few minutes to tweak the gas burner. 

Stews aren't my thing so with the exception of an occasional risotto-type dish,  I rarely cook an entire meal in the Instant Pot but I still use it quite often.

• Like 2

I don’t think pressure cooking is particularly “idiot proof”. 

In fact, I find it takes some tinkering and getting to know to avoid overcooking. 

If you really want want something closer to “idiot proof” get an immersion circulator. 

• Like 2

Re: idiot proofing -- I am living proof anything (even something in the SV bath) can be screwed up. The biggest error most folks make with the IP, I think, is to try to use it for things it just isn't designed for, or that other methods are better. I can't tell you how many people on the IP facebook page have asked how to cook a KC strip in the IP. I just grit my teeth and scroll by. If it's a hammer, just bear in mind not everything is a nail.

That said, there's little better for making a lot of long-stewed/braised dishes. I love it for carnitas, for beef stew, and for dishes made with dry beans.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I use the iPot for stock

and re-sue the Stock- bricks I can vac

for the next stock

mostly now turkey , but perhaps chicken soon

In NewEngland

for reasons I can't understand 

[  growing up in mother CA  ]

when a ' storm ' is coming , the supermarkets are ' packed '

so on Sat i went to MarketBasket and only got a few things :

some Fz veg

in my haste I bought the wrong ones :

they have a mix veg w or w/o limas

I like w/o  the limas don't seem to do well

but the green beans take longer to cook

Im hoping your have a Large Pitcher of a Personal Beverage 

So I bought a few bags of not what i wanted 

i hoe to move to Peas and carrots

and get the green beans separately

as GB take longer to cook.

fill that glass up

so In going to use the packets of mix'd veg

for my Stock studies 

why not ?  2 bucks ?

has anyone made veg stock in the iPot ?

can you taste the veg ?

Ill add the 2 bags to the next TStock and see

thanks

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

has anyone made veg stock in the iPot ?

can you taste the veg ?

I make quick vegetable stocks in the Instant Pot when I am making vegetable soups or risotto.  I use the trimmings from the vegetables and herbs that will go into the dish plus an onion, leek tops, that sort of stuff.  No cabbage, no cruciferous and usually no garlic. 

Depending on the recipe, I may use the sauté function to brown the veg in a bit of butter or oil or just throw everything in and cover with water.  Manual, high pressure, 10 minutes, slow release for at least 10 min, then vent.  Strain and use. 

• Like 2

This weekend I used my IP for pork hocks. I started with one small hock,  one large hock,  and a trotter. The pork was cooked with a German Oktoberfest beer.  

1240826005_2019-01-1615_01_32.thumb.jpg.e007548f87aa73e286907a99d7c7cefb.jpg

After finishing in the IP,  the small hock and trotter went into the Air Fryer.   I checked the liquid left in the IP,  it was loaded with gelatin but the taste was not pleasant.   I gave the pork too much time in the air fryer.   The  skin was over crisped as was the meat.  The pork meat was well past the jerky stage.   I had ruined two pieces of pork.

I refrigerated the large hock.  The next day I crisped the skin.  The skin was fantastic.  The meat however was dry.

605238852_2019-01-2014_11_00.thumb.jpg.65d7f83481442daebda66074dd7b4f95.jpg

Edited by Edward Dekker (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 1/21/2019 at 7:12 AM, chefmd said:

Used instant pot max to make modernist cuisine carrot soup.  It maintains 15 PSI pressure which is recommended for this soup.

30D05694-A2C9-42F2-98EB-A45750B91377.thumb.jpeg.51ab2efea42dc5dbf4e07803a3a96a75.jpeg

Nice! I am hoping they release the max as a 3Q, I already have an 8Q Ultra.

• Delicious 1

I am on my 3rd use of the Instant Pot today and my 4th for the weekend.   I did rice this morning, then a batch of bison sloppy joes (cross posting from the Freezer thread, used up some of my red chile cubes), and now doing a full pot of bone broth.

Yesterday I did a large amount of sweet potato puree (using ChefSteps as a inspiration), some for me and some for Mom who is in the midst of dental work and needs soft foods.

I am staggered by the usage of it when I stop and think about it.  I think I average using it everyday somehow.  Changed my life in the kitchen.

• Like 4

On 1/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, lemniscate said:

I am on my 3rd use of the Instant Pot today and my 4th for the weekend.

Hmmm. Haven't used mine since November, I think. I should probably get on that.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ever since I saw @Kerry Beal make flan in her IP, I've wanted to do that but I couldn't find a suitable container that I already owned to do it in.  So, I had to buy a new toy.  A flan pan :)

IMG_5840.JPG.cb1468f5a78ca514d99c904d687511c9.JPG

Burned the heck out of my hand trying to distribute the caramel around evenly lol

IMG_5841.jpg.564fbf8b6c5994934262e1d33f29f290.jpg

All ready to go in the IP

IMG_5842.JPG.d9275a1d3a120e1d5bc6cb0c058ffee2.JPG

IMG_5843.JPG.8f80683dad5fb97d42a9c666b48dddc8.JPG

After a day in the fridge

IMG_5849.jpg.850007a5836ad262593c92cd06f11dfa.jpg

Good stuff!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

That is a nice find, Shelby. I'm safe for now, though: it won't fit in the 3-quart IP! 

I don't know what it is about the iMusa brand, but it catches my eye every time I pass it in the grocery store(s) - and it seems to be widely distributed.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

@Shelby, I ordered the pan also. My husband loves caramel and I'm sure he would love this flan! Thanks for sharing!  🙂

Now I'm double excited!!!

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

That is a nice find, Shelby. I'm safe for now, though: it won't fit in the 3-quart IP! 

I don't know what it is about the iMusa brand, but it catches my eye every time I pass it in the grocery store(s) - and it seems to be widely distributed.

You will succumb to my enabling when you get back home to your full size IP ;) 

IMG_5850.JPG.facfdeadafaf007877ef3559f2035702.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Yes

a full-sized iPot

@home

is a wonder.

as long as you get the basket that fits in it.

so many things change 

Stock , iPot steamed veg etc

now Flan !

of corse

wait for it

and get it 

very cheap

An amazon day ?

a Camel;CamelCamel day ?

wait for it

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I don't have a ton of Instant Pot "only" accessories, I've been able to use things I already had for most things.  I did break down and just bought this Oxo lifter/trivet.   I used it this morning for PIP rice and no more burnt fingers!  It's sturdy and not floppy like I feared.  It lifted a stainless steel bowl with 4+ cups of cooked rice right out.

Another thing I had already that has served me well in the Instant Pot is the Lekue bag.  I use this exclusively for hard boiled eggs.  I was having problems with some of my hb eggs cracking during the cook.  I think it was because they would touch the metal sides of the pot while cooking as I load up the metal trivet with 8-10 eggs at a time.  Since I have been putting the eggs in the bag, not a single cracked one has been found.  It also allows for the eggs to be lifted out wholesale and put in the ice water all at once.   I've had the bag for years but never found a good use for it until now.

Edited by lemniscate
Adjusted Amazon link to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 4

@lemniscate

interesting stuff rom OXO !

thanks

consider a stainless steel mesh basket insert

for me its one of the best Add-Ons.

indeed I use one that was gifted to me , found in ' remainder shop '

way before iPots took off so add-ons a not a big buisness

conisder :

Steamer Basket for Instant Pot 6 Qt, Stainless Steel Mesh Strainer Steamer Insert with Black Silicone Handle

and 

The Original Salbree 6qt Steamer Basket for Instant Pot Accessories, Stainless Steel Strainer and Insert 

I have this one :

The Original Sturdy Steamer Basket for 6 or 8 Quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, 304 Stainless Steel Steamer Insert with Silicone Covered Handle

and its a bit on the ' lite ' side , but OK

get one based on the weight of the product

Mine is fine , but ....

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1