• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

IP crustless quiche, yay or nay? dribble.gif

Sure, why not? I haven't done one myself, partly because I like the crust 🙂 but crustless quiche/frittata IP recipes seem pretty popular and the photos don't look bad. I also like a bit of a browned top so would still put the dish in the oven after pressure-cooking and then it seems almost easier to just cook it the whole time in the oven. 

I guess I'm not really much help, as I can't say if there is a definite benefit to cooking these dishes in the IP, though I would guess the ingredients may stay moister? I think i did an egg strata in the IP once and seem to recall it being pretty good, but I can't remember if I finished it in the oven or anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I can't say if there is a definite benefit to cooking these dishes in the IP

Maybe just to prove can be done―and turn-out well! xD

I love the crust too!

But I eat LCHF 'most' of the time.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I particularly like the quart sized containers for freezing soup or broth, as they have a small footprint for their volume. I ordered some from Amazon, and they're just awfully convenient to have around; I got both pint and quart size.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I pretty much have to include crustless quiche recipes in my Instant Pot books, so I've made quite a few. While -- for me personally -- the crust is what makes a quiche, I will say that pressure cooking does make an exceptionally creamy quiche filling. But keep in mind that if you like a browned top, you'll need to give it a few minutes under the broiler after.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JAZ said:

I pretty much have to include crustless quiche recipes in my Instant Pot books, so I've made quite a few. While -- for me personally -- the crust is what makes a quiche, I will say that pressure cooking does make an exceptionally creamy quiche filling. But keep in mind that if you like a browned top, you'll need to give it a few minutes under the broiler after.

Thanks, Janet!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

For sure! IP does a beautiful job on this sort of thing. Oops - I see that Janet has already weighed in.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

@weinoo

nice on the Old Hens

consider your freezer space

consider , rather than concentrating that stock

use it a few times

in the iPot again 

with more Old Hens

2x is really really nice

3 x @#(Y*@#R@#_(RTY(#_QTR_#TR

but that would require some Fx space.

at least you are starting on a Long Trail to

delicousness

The Instant Pot helps me "leapfrog" meals constantly, morphing something leftover from a previous dish into a new dish.  Last week I made a roast in a smoked beer braise in the IP, there was lots of jus leftover.  I put it in the fridge in mason jars.  Doing a fridge reconnoiter, I saw the jus and found a head of cabbage and some mushrooms.  IP Cabbage Soup!   It's pretty good too.  

• Like 2

@weinoo

nice on the CkStk

I used to work a block or two from BOS Chinatown

now days it a ' Trip '

I just use turkey for my eatings . sandwiches and etc

and make stock from the bones , and use stock from A  for B , and B for C in the iPot

saves concentrating it.

making some ' C ' stock as I type.

I use this from Fz   and the rest will go for ' D '

in that iPot :  bones + some veg :  carrot (s)  onion (s) a few celery stalks  

[ the high end market near me sells fresh individual stalks   --  too much work for The Swells to make their own ? ]

flavor of celery is fine , not that glop that reasuls from cooking it.

then that series will be VacPacked and Retired for use.

• Like 1

@ElsieD

thank your for the ref. above

I do use my iPot a lot

right now Im doing turkey stock V3

Im pleased the iPot team is doing so well.

do my best to no longer buy cookbooks

my library system has almost all of them

when no one was looking

I did cave in and have 3 iPot  Indian cookbooks 

I hope to use them for dal and beans and that sort of cooking

thanks again for the ref.

:S

I now note I don't have a Red iPot

:$

PS :   what are these ?

262824637_ip1.jpg.b810a7b4cd0045e93db026b660a7e391.jpg

does anyone have then and has used hem ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

one last thought :

after a small  M.R.:

maybe the iPot-crew

should buy out Anova's interest in a 

combi oven ?

rather than repackage 

various " starters "   =>  Quinoa ?  

:|

the Combi market

waits for SomeOne.

• Like 2

Late to the egg bite party, but I did my first try in the IP.  I had an old silicone muffin tray that I decided to cut up to fit into this.  I use the dhokla stand to make rice normally.  I did a 6 egg batch, which filled the 6 muffin forms each to the top.  Too much.  The egg bites puffed up quite a bit which surprised me.  I did the cottage cheese, gruyere and bacon recipe (blender-ed it together).  Next time I will dial it back to 4 eggs per batch and fill the muffin forms half way.  10 min. and natural release ended up with good texture for me.  Tasted very nice and Household liked them without complaint. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Late to the egg bite party, but I did my first try in the IP.  I had an old silicone muffin tray that I decided to cut up to fit into this.  I use the dhokla stand to make rice normally.  I did a 6 egg batch, which filled the 6 muffin forms each to the top.  Too much.  The egg bites puffed up quite a bit which surprised me.  I did the cottage cheese, gruyere and bacon recipe (blender-ed it together).  Next time I will dial it back to 4 eggs per batch and fill the muffin forms half way.  10 min. and natural release ended up with good texture for me.  Tasted very nice and Household liked them without complaint. 

I found the egg bites puffed a whole lot more in the IP than they do sous vide. I did my first batch in jars - blew the lids off.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_5229_007_zpske783rjc.jpg

A little Instant Pot chicken stock production last night. I had a carcass of a Union Market rotisserie chicken (quite good, by the way), walked over to the gross market under the Manhattan bridge, where I procured a pound of chicken feet for $$1.50, and a few legs for another $1.00 (they were like $.79 a pound), and ended up with 3 qts. of fine stock.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_5229_007_zpske783rjc.jpg

A little Instant Pot chicken stock production last night. I had a carcass of a Union Market rotisserie chicken (quite good, by the way), walked over to the gross market under the Manhattan bridge, where I procured a pound of chicken feet for $$1.50, and a few legs for another $1.00 (they were like $.79 a pound), and ended up with 3 qts. of fine stock.

I was curious about how you deal with the chicken feet?  Do you cut the toe nails?

3 hours ago, saluki said:

I was curious about how you deal with the chicken feet?  Do you cut the toe nails?

Nah, not unless they're pretty long.  These were trimmed quite well. Might even add to the gelatinous texture!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the midst of reading this thread in its 5 sections from the beginning. 

I don’t like to cook on weekdays mainly because I never know when my husband will get home. The warmer setting on the IP makes me think I can eat when hungry and he can eat when he gets home. 

I’m also thinking this could be useful because I dislike cooking protein. I’m always worried about over or under cooking. 

That said is the IP “idiot proof”? My friends all have one and post delicious dinners on Instagram every night. I definitely want to cut down on the frequency of restaurant food delivery but I don’t want to buy something I won’t use/will be intimidated by/ can’t make easy and tasty recipes in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m in the midst of reading this thread in its 5 sections from the beginning. 

I don’t like to cook on weekdays mainly because I never know when my husband will get home. The warmer setting on the IP makes me think I can eat when hungry and he can eat when he gets home. 

I’m also thinking this could be useful because I dislike cooking protein. I’m always worried about over or under cooking. 

That said is the IP “idiot proof”? My friends all have one and post delicious dinners on Instagram every night. I definitely want to cut down on the frequency of restaurant food delivery but I don’t want to buy something I won’t use/will be intimidated by/ can’t make easy and tasty recipes in. 

It's a handy creature. I had a stovetop pressure cooker that rarely came out of the cabinet. I use the IP probably twice a week. I can throw in a brick of frozen stew meat with some water, sauteed onion and spices, come back 45 minutes later and add potatoes and carrots, and have beef stew  in less than an hour. I make yogurt weekly. I use it for all kind of soups. I got the little stacking steamer pans which are marvelous for meat and sauce with rice, or put the rice in the bottom of the pot, cook it and the protein, then add the veggies in a top pan for a short cook and you've got a whole meal. And I'm a fan of beans and bean soups. The keep warm function is marvelous.

There are some things -- like pot roast, for example -- that I just prefer oven-braised. Not sure why. Not sure if there's a real difference you can tell or not.

All in all, it gets two thumbs up from me!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com