• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  how did your red wine made from grape juice turn out?  I opened mine yesterday and the alcohol smell almost knocked me off my feet.  I did not bother to taste it - the fumes were enough.  Down the drain it went.  Maybe it was meant to be drunk "young"? 😄

Geez, I kind of forgot about it LOL!  I did several early tastings--it was like fizzy grape juice.  It's been in the garage fridge forever.  I'll have to take a taste.  I will report back.  

If I can type lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Edward Dekker

that's a common price for MB.

I moved on to just the whole fz breast for a little bit more as they are much easier to deal with

and w SV  TB is tender , juicy and of any sort of flavor y0u add !

I know how good Sous Vide Turkey breast is.  In 2009 I confessed to buying boning bagging and refreezing  7 turkeys.

I loved the dark meat both on its own but also ground and used with beef and pork to make meatloaf.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazon had the Instant Pot Ultra Mini (3 qt) on sale for $59.95 so I couldn't resist.  It arrived early enough today to give it a test spin, so I made carnitas.  It was around two pounds of pork and the Mini was the perfect size.  I had read a few reviews that said it took too long to come up to pressure, but it was just 12 minutes.  Not bad.  Now that I am eating alone 3-5 nights a week,  I also plan to use it when I just want to do a small amount of broccoli, a few eggs, a single artichoke, etc.  

carnitas4.jpg.c9c6a73e7d99fc89644e0db8c935e070.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

19 hours ago, Vapre said:

Bought one today, fits my 8qt. fine. Small kitchen, counter space is at a premium.

Now that would be a handy creature, but for the fact I'd need a spot to put the cart. Space in my kitchen, too, is at a premium, so my IP lives in a cabinet except when in use.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Now that would be a handy creature, but for the fact I'd need a spot to put the cart. Space in my kitchen, too, is at a premium, so my IP lives in a cabinet except when in use.

I keep a 6 qt and a 3 qt Instant Pot in this house in the pantry, but I deeply resent losing that shelf space at times AND it's a pain to carry them out to the kitchen counter when I want to use them. I like the idea of the cart because both the IPs and some of their accessories could be stored somewhere else. But I don't really have convenient floor space for the cart in the kitchen. However, if I could clean out the floor space in the pantry where I store some excess cleaning products/supplies I think I could fit the cart in there. And it would be super convenient to just roll the cart out and plug it into an outlet just outside the pantry when I want to use it. And I would have my shelf space back. 

Must take another look at that pantry space again tomorrow! 

Edited by FauxPas
to clarify (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 1:52 AM, mgaretz said:

Amazon had the Instant Pot Ultra Mini (3 qt) on sale for $59.95 so I couldn't resist. 

That sale is over but yesterday Amazon put the Instant Pot Ultra 6 quart on sale for $87.99.

One is due to arrive Wednesday.

Now I need to decide what accessories are a priority.

1 hour ago, Edward Dekker said:

That sale is over but yesterday Amazon put the Instant Pot Ultra 6 quart on sale for $87.99.

Set of silicone sealing rings in different colors as food odor will remain in the rings for some time after washing.  With color-coded alternates you can always cook (ie: red for spicy foods, clear for steaming/eggs, etc.).  Also a steamer basket.  Those are the must-haves.  Nice to have is an egg holder if you plan to do eggs, but you can do without.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Humph. Having finally paid for one, I suppose I should make a point of occasionally using it for something. Gonna have to carve out a little time for that, I guess. After the holidays.

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 hours ago, Edward Dekker said:

Agreed with @mgaretz -- the extra rings and the steamer basket. I'd add the stackable metal pans for pot-in-pot cooking; I love to put rice in one and meat with sauce in the other. I also have a long-legged trivet so I can put somethign in the bottom of the pot and something on the trivet on top of it; good for, say, a piece of meat so the drippings will fall over the veggies below.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Agreed with @mgaretz -- the extra rings and the steamer basket. I'd add the stackable metal pans for pot-in-pot cooking; I love to put rice in one and meat with sauce in the other. I also have a long-legged trivet so I can put somethign in the bottom of the pot and something on the trivet on top of it; good for, say, a piece of meat so the drippings will fall over the veggies below.

Made Urvashi Pitre''s Butter chicken recipe like that with the chicken thighs and sauce on the bottom, with a long legged trivet and one of those stackable tiffin-like pans on top for the rice.  It was delicious not to mention very easy....  I used the 6 quart IP for that.   I would have tried it in my 3 qt but I have not been able to find a long legged trivet that fits the diameter.

• Like 1

Easily one of my favorite uses of the Instant Pot is for:

45664668034_5c42db7326_z.jpg

Stock making. 

Bought two old birds at one of the Hong Kong supermarkets, for $4.34.  An hour and a half later, 3.5 quarts of beautiful, rich, gelatinous, and yes, delicious, chicken stock.

I see paella, risotto, and who knows what else (matzoh ball soup?), in our future.

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

IP crustless quiche, yay or nay? dribble.gif

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Delicious 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

...deli containers.

I know a lot of folks like them.

Help me understand why they may be a better choice than something like the thick Rubbermaid reusable containers (not the real thin variety.)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

5 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I know a lot of folks like them.

Help me understand why they may be a better choice than something like the thick Rubbermaid reusable containers (not the real thin variety.)

They are cheap and last for ages. They fit in a freezer door rack.

I give them away with leftovers they are so cheap.

I get the sturdy ones from Amazon that are OK for the freezer.

Rubbermaid is good too.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

They are cheap and last for ages. They fit in a freezer door rack.

I give them away with leftovers they are so cheap.

Rubbermaid is good too.

Cool! cool.gif

The 'giving away" part makes a lot of sense. I like it! :)

I have a 'ton' of various sized Rubbermaid containers―totes full! LOL

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

I use those deli containers only now.  Easy to stack.  Come in 1, 2 and 4 cup sizes plus the little 1/2 oz, 2 oz and 4 oz containers for sauces, small amounts of stock, compound butters......very handy.  Thye wash up well and they do seem to last forever...plus the giving away of leftovers.  I get mine at a local "superstore' type grocery store.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Easily one of my favorite uses of the Instant Pot is for:

45664668034_5c42db7326_z.jpg

My first reaction was... beer???  😆

• Haha 7

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.