• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Made char siu in the Instant Pot (and the BSOA).  I cut pork shoulder into cubes and placed them in a zip lock bag with a generous amount of NOH char siu powder.  Shake the bag to coat and let marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours, turning the bag every hour or so.  Then place in a steamer basket in the IP with two cups of water (I have the 8 qt, so maybe 1 cup will be enough for the 6 qt).  Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes with a 12 minute release.  Transfer the cubes to a rack with a sheet pan below.  Brush honey on the cubes and place in the BSOA for 8 minutes or so at 450F on the air fry setting, until you just start to see some charring.  Remove, turn the cubes and baste with more honey.  Return to the BSOA for another 6-7 minutes until you get some more charring.  If you don't have a BSOA, then a broiler will work with adjustments in the timing.

char-siu-ip.jpg.967af1f03ff8d44a70c6c69fcde86a46.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

how did you make that CP in the iPot ?

did it take Trial and Error to get the Penne ' just right ?'

Here is the link to the recipe.  I left out the bacon but used bacon fat to brown the chicken.  I needed to further cook the pasta on saute for a couple of minutes after the pressure cooking to finish cooking the pasta.  A pretty good quick dish.

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-bacon-penne-pasta/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Here is the link to the recipe.  I left out the bacon but used bacon fat to brown the chicken.  I needed to further cook the pasta on saute for a couple of minutes after the pressure cooking to finish cooking the pasta.  A pretty good quick dish.

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-bacon-penne-pasta/

I made that same recipe a couple of days ago, bacon and all. Our family loved it too. I don't think I had to cook any longer to finish the pasta, but now I can't remember.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Beef cheek with a recipe from Tom Colicchio that I've adapted for the pressure cooker (50 minutes with natural release). An excellent start; next time I will cook 10-15 min more to get more of that melting texture that is so wonderful!

Beef cheeks #tomcolicchio #pressurecooker #beef #beefcheeks

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Beef stew in the IP.  I put everything but the carrots in for 10 minutes on high pressure, quick release then added the carrots for another 6 minutes, natural release.  Thickened with some InstaSperse.  There was a whole, big russet in there, that was cut into about 1" cubes.  It mostly disappeared.   Next time I will add the potato in with the carrots.  

stew7.jpg.29bc81a9822c5442e1d978761d92f5bf.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I've recently started working on a new book for the Instant Pot, this one on Cooking for Two. My editor and I are trying to figure out how to divide the recipes and what categories to include. In the last book, we had "vegetables and side dishes," "beans and grains," "meatless mains," "seafood," "poultry," and "meat" (also breakfast and desserts). We started out with a "Soups & Stews" chapter but decided to fold those recipes into the other chapters. For this one, my editor is wondering if we really need a chapter for side dishes, and I'm wondering if we need a separate chapter for beans and grains. I'm not so worried about folding bean and grain recipes into the other chapters, but it's harder to do that with side dishes. On the other hand, I'm not sure if many cooks use the IP for side dishes.

What do you all think? A) do you think we should include side dishes, or concentrate exclusively on main dishes and "one-pot" dishes? B) What do you think about a separate chapter on beans and grains? Would those recipes be just as easy to find in the chapters on Vegetarian, Poultry, etc.? C) any other thoughts on organization?

Thanks! 

• Like 2

@JAZ - I'd vote yes for both sections you mention - vegetables & sides and beans & grains. 

I know there is a whole lotta love out there for the one-pot IP miracle meal and there are some great examples just above in this thread with @ElsieD's pasta and @mgaretz's stew. As lovely as they are, a cookbook based entirely on that concept doesn't appeal enormously to me because of the challenge of cooking all elements to my taste.  

On the other hand, being able to expedite a potato salad, rice dish or grains is much more appealing to me.

Also, a new IP user may find side dishes an easier entry point to the IP than committing to an entire meal.  

Just my 2 cents...I'm firmly in the camp that believes the IP is a great cooking tool but not a miracle meal machine, so take it for what it's worth!

• Like 3

@JAZ

Vegetables and side dishes - I would keep that chapter, for sure. Sometimes you have an easy way to prepare your protein (grill, for example), and can use the instant pot for a more elaborate side dish. So it makes perfect sense to me to have a dedicated chapter for side dishes.

Beans and grains, I would include that into the vegetables and side dishes. I just see them as one option for side dishes and don't eat enough beans/grains to want an entire chapter dedicated to them, but others may have a different opinion of course.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JAZ said:

I've recently started working on a new book for the Instant Pot, this one on Cooking for Two. My editor and I are trying to figure out how to divide the recipes and what categories to include. In the last book, we had "vegetables and side dishes," "beans and grains," "meatless mains," "seafood," "poultry," and "meat" (also breakfast and desserts). We started out with a "Soups & Stews" chapter but decided to fold those recipes into the other chapters. For this one, my editor is wondering if we really need a chapter for side dishes, and I'm wondering if we need a separate chapter for beans and grains. I'm not so worried about folding bean and grain recipes into the other chapters, but it's harder to do that with side dishes. On the other hand, I'm not sure if many cooks use the IP for side dishes.

What do you all think? A) do you think we should include side dishes, or concentrate exclusively on main dishes and "one-pot" dishes? B) What do you think about a separate chapter on beans and grains? Would those recipes be just as easy to find in the chapters on Vegetarian, Poultry, etc.? C) any other thoughts on organization?

Thanks! 

I would vote on the side of keep them both, for the reasons enumerated in the previous two posts for side dishes. As for beans and grains they are one of the chief things for which I use my IP, and I'm always looking for "what can I do with....". Others' mileage may vary.

Tonight, my IP is busy making vegetable beef soup; it just beeped done, in fact. It's a little cooler, and I've felt like hell today anyway, so I figured vegetable beef soup could do nothing but help. May make myself a grilled cheese to go with it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

FWIW, as a guy who hasn't done anything with his IP yet except the 2-minute test, I always feel that a cookbook consisting entirely of one-pot meals is a bit "niche." Not bad, as such, just limited.

I acknowledge the logic of FrogPrincesse's suggestion that beans and grains could be folded into side dishes, but for me KayB's point that these are disproportionately important in the IP world is equally valid and probably trumps it.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Possibly my very favorite thing about the IP is being able to decide at 4 p.m. that I want Rancho Gordo beans for dinner, and being able to have them. FWIW, my "recipe" is simple: dice an onion, mince some garlic, saute them, add beans and stock or water, manual 30 minutes, NPR, salt to taste. Boom. Done. Make cornbread.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

Beans and grains, I would include that into the vegetables and side dishes. I just see them as one option for side dishes and don't eat enough beans/grains to want an entire chapter dedicated to them, but others may have a different opinion of course.

I tend to agree with FP on this one. 

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Walmart is selling a Pioneer Woman Instant Pot. It looks like this:

1615045525_PioneerWomanIP.jpeg.6f7f7b726b882269a9345ece37b1e562.jpeg

I have to admit that it's definitely not my style. :o

What do others think? 

That looks like bad bathroom decor from the 70's

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

@JAZ  I would keep the "beans and grains" separate as well as the side dishes.  I think it makes them easier to find.  Plus  if you want to make say a grain dish  but can't decide on which grain to cook, it can get frustrating to have to look up each grain in the index and then finding the recipe in the book.  Much easier to just be able to look through a chapter.