• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

52 minutes ago, rotuts said:

interesting review.  thanks for posting it.

I take it you cannot do a manual release  as one might on the current models ?

Appears you can as the auto release only works in certain modes. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Does anybody have experience cooking (whole) baby potatoes in the instant pot? The manual says 3-4 minutes with a cup of water. Of course that is just enough time to make them warm but even 20 minutes in, they are still completely raw inside!

With my traditional stove-top pressure cooker they are ready in about 10 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Does anybody have experience cooking (whole) baby potatoes in the instant pot? The manual says 3-4 minutes with a cup of water. Of course that is just enough time to make them warm but even 20 minutes in, they are still completely raw inside!

With my traditional stove-top pressure cooker they are ready in about 10 minutes. What am I doing wrong?

Not using a CSO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

This just doesn’t sound right. I know I have cooked mini potatoes in the IP and if memory serves me right they were perfectly cooked in five minutes on high pressure.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I pressure-steam .

I buy the larger red bliss and cut them into large chunks , place in the basket over 1 cup of water

and PS   7 min HP / 10 minute release.

cool on a sheet pan.

when they come out they really don't look so great , but they firm up on cooling and are ideal for potato salad.

I keep them in a covered container in the refrig .   bring out cold what i might need for a day's salad

and cut into smaller pieces .

I sue pressure-steam rather than pressure in the water as I feel it keeps more potato flavor in the potato and thus Im not making Potato Water soup.

I mention all of this to give you an idea of what im aiming for.

Id try 6 min pressure-steam for smaller potatoes , and the `10 minute release

keeping notes you can then adjust the timings to suit your results and taste.

I pressure steamed them too, or at least attempted to - I had 250 mL of water in the instant pot, used the trivet that came with the instant pot, put a stainless bowl on top to hold the potatoes (as recommended in the manual). I did 4 minutes with manual release, another 6 with manual release, and then 10 with manual release. The potatoes were still completely raw.

I suspect I need some kind of steamer basket instead of the bowl I used. Probably there wasn’t enough contact between the small amount of water/steam and the potatoes.

In my stove top pressure cooker I use a lot more water and a mesh steamer basket. I will try something like that next time.

Thanks for your answers, @Anna N and @rotuts. I thought I was losing my mind last night then nothing seemed to work!

5 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I suspect I need some kind of steamer basket instead of the bowl I used. 

I do mine directly on the provided trivet.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I just cooked some smallish Yukon gold potatoes ~ 50g each, 6 min @ high pressure, 10 min natural release.  I put them in a steamer basket with a cup of water underneath.

They are tender but not mushy.

unpeeled?

these days there are steer baskets designed to fit each iPot size.

back in the DarkAges you had to wing it yourself or have Friends that gifted you one from a theft shop

money-mouth.gif.046136007728e2ac0ee2fb75e2a88c87.gif

they are well worth the investment as you can take the whole basket out w the handle.

for a basket of PerfectEggs , I tie the hole basket and run cold water over it for a minute off so , then purge it in a bowl of cold water to chill.

if two baskets from Amazon look good enough , get the one that's heavier.

my 2 cents.

• Like 1

LOL @ "theft shop"...I spent enough years in retail, and busted enough shoplifters, to find that typo hilarious.

I really used to really resent the people who would steal a pair of wirecutters, which they'd then use to snip our tie-down restraints. If you're going to steal from me, dammit, bring your own frikkin' tools!

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@rotuts, I have to say your autocorrectisms brought me my first smile of the day. Besides the "theft shop," I was entertained by the mental image of a large bovine cradled in the "steer basket."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Rats

I haver no AuyoCorrection

if eG has it

Im intersted

I need new Computer Glasses

being an idiot that I am

Im not looking to go down to the Local EyeEtc

and have them ask me :

is A better then B ?  how is C 

Crap

you figure it out !

its that simple

or couse

I could ask Google to ' View : Zoom In "

but thats a lot of clicks.

just saying

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

just saying

No worries. We all got a chuckle out of theft store and steer basket.  Laughter, as they say, is still the best medicine.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Made carnitas again in the IP then 8 minutes under the broiler.  

carnitas2.jpg.dbaa4fdbcc074f711179bf607838f626.jpg

Earlier in the day I made hard boiled eggs using the 4-4-4 timing.  That's 4 minutes at high pressure, 4 minute natural release and 4 minutes in the ice bath.  I actually left them in the ice bath for longer.  They came out great - perfectly cooked, no gray/green edge on the yolks and peeled super easy.  I used a trivet made for eggs, one of those two tiered ones (but I only used one tier).  Normally I wouldn't have bought such a gadget and just used the supplied trivet or the steamer basket, but with sales and coupons I picked one up at Kohl's for $3.80.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 2 weeks later...

Experimenting with browning meat, which I think is tough in the IP, due to inability to control the sauté function temperature. It gets too hot, without being able to control the heat, other than powering it on and off.

I played around with the IP last night.  Admittedly a crappy experiment, since I tried to use a whole hunk of meat with a bone in it, which makes it sort of impossible for the meat to be in perfect contact with the bottom surface; additionally, the bottom surface of the Instant Pot is a bit convex.  So I got to this point and said to myself, self, move on, remove the butt, this experiment sucks...

43330020005_5f138ea844.jpg

That's a hunk of nothing special pork butt, procured at the Essex St. Market.  After that, I tossed in the mirepoix (red onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic) and with powering and off, was able to get it nicely sweated...and I also toasted some chili powder as the veg were sweating.

43518082934_c5610bcaef.jpg

The pork butt had marinated overnight in a Penzey's spice mix tarted up with lemon juice, lime juice, and olive oil.  I put the butt back atop the sweated vegetables, added the marinade back to the Instant Pot, along with half a cup of stock, and pressure cooked it for 60 minutes. Removed the butt, and reduced the (admittedly delicious) sauce.

I had @rancho_gordo's Caballero beans, cooked on the stove top, Carolina Gold rice, and CSO steam roasted "baby" broccoli along with a few weird carrots.

Sliced one muscle of the butt (the rest will become pulled pork), and plated...

43330023475_f855a37960.jpg

It was actually quite a nice dinner plate. But I can't wait for the pulled pork! Significant Eater was already bugging me for tacos.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?