• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

It looks perfectly normal to me. What do you think is missing?   If you turn it upside down and back up again the right way do you see the valve move? It does look a bit odd when I look more closely. 

Edited by Anna N
Edited to adjust my observation (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Orbit said:

it doesn't stick up past the level of the pot lid--it's like a piece of plastic is missing

Mine does not stick up past the level of the surrounding lid. That’s the way it is on both of mine. When pressure is reached it just reaches the level of the lid not above it as do many others that I have had in the past.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Orbit

Im not sure what model you have.

is it V1 ?   w/o the handles ?

I think the valve should look like this :

5af18d5bc46b0_iPV.thumb.jpg.6f5bcc626993ee5c7b7917bed1accd9f.jpg

call them  explain the situation and ask where you can send the pic of your iP top.

• Like 1

maybe yours is a newer version of the above  

you can hear it move up and down when you invert and re-vert the lid.

you can always try it out w a cup of water and see what happens

it will pop up when pressure is reached or just vent steam if not working properly.

• Like 1

The Instant Pot Ultra is now on sale at Amazon (and, through tomorrow, at Sur La Table) for $99.96. I keep looking at that adjustment knob and wondering how much temperature adjustment it provides. (We're still looking for a slow cooker with more temperature control than low/med/high.) Has anyone tried the Ultra yet? If so, can you comment on how much temperature adjustment the knob provides? Got any other comments on this latest version?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, Orbit said:

So my Instant Pot arrived--is this what the pressure valve is supposed to look like? It seems to me that a piece is missing?

MVIMG_20180507_170158.jpg

Do you have the LUX model? The images I found on the web look like that. It is different from the DUO model, which I have. I tried to add a link of the image but it did not work.

Edited to add screen shot of both model types:

A32E591A-257C-4E12-A133-00F9F3071AFB.thumb.png.d9130f65482fc380533c6dcea0f2400f.png

Edited by robirdstx
Added screen shot of different float valves. (log)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

The Instant Pot Ultra is now on sale at Amazon (and, through tomorrow, at Sur La Table) for $99.96. I keep looking at that adjustment knob and wondering how much temperature adjustment it provides. (We're still looking for a slow cooker with more temperature control than low/med/high.) Has anyone tried the Ultra yet? If so, can you comment on how much temperature adjustment the knob provides? Got any other comments on this latest version?

Is this the model that goes to 15 PSI?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

C*R*A*P

I am  Sooooo weak for a deal

however

these are new , to me :

House Again Steam Basket for Instant Pot

I added one to the Cart

its about time

although I have a Gifted Similar item i use all the time 

for pressure steaming 

these are available in 3 qt , 6 qt , and 8 qt,

keep that in mind if you choose to be weak

• Like 1

Handy. I have a stainless colander that came with a set of stainless mixing bowls that fits perfectly in my 6 qt. I use it frequently. It has the little handles, as well. I find it particularly useful when making stock...solids lift right out, and go straight to the trash.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

I remember in some thread here that IP was releasing a model that would do 15 PSI.  Am I crazy?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I remember in some thread here that IP was releasing a model that would do 15 PSI.  Am I crazy?

I ran across an announcement today that the IP MAX is about to be released. It will do 15 PSI. Here is the sneak peek at the MAX (not released yet) on Hip Pressure Cooking.

I leave the question of your mental status for another conversation. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

It seems that certain items are exceptions to the two day delivery.  Yet they still raised the annual fee.

I'm finding that I'm getting better prices and variety on everyday items with the Walmart free delivery arrangement.  

Edited by lindag (log)

I've been using sous-vide to cook ice cream bases, because my method requires bringing the base to 75°C and holding it there for 30 to 45 minutes, ideally in a sealed environment. SV is a little awkward for this, because, there's no temperature probe inside the bag, and it's hard to model how long it will take a bag viscous liquid to come up to temperature. I'm wondering if this would be a good use for an instant pot? Is it simple to program something like "bring this to 75°C and hold it there for x minutes?" Or just let me know when it reaches the target temp?

Notes from the underbelly

A P.S.:

on the basket I point3ed out here :

Unknown-2.jpeg.60e18d713ee1768cc4180a05af0720ee.jpeg.2a4ad55f41a7f2b5bd43a08b4dced53e.jpeg

it fits nicely and the handle is nice

but its quite light and not something one might use in the Mess on a BattleShip in the WWII.

there are others :

Hatrigo Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt Steamer Basket 

The Original Salbree 6qt Instant Pot Steamer Basket 

and

Aoizta Double Tier Stackable Steamer Basket for Instant Pot Accessories 6/8 qt...

one way to look at this is price.

re-think this 

look at the items weight.

I have no problems w the above

and I do not plan , for the moment , to get a WWII BattleShip out of MothBalls

maybe by two different ones ?

just in case ?

money-mouth.gif.3dfeb4142e939121d1912056976ab106.gif

to me

a billion years ago , when iPot was young

I was gifted a basket that had nothing to do w the iPot.

for me

a steamer basket transfers the iPot exponentially 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to be eG-friendly (log)

19 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Amazon had the IP Duo Plus 8 qt on one-day sale yesterday so I pulled the trigger.  It arrives Thursday (I guess Prime is no longer 2 day).  

Amazon uses a technicality (more often these days) that the 2 day shipping starts when the item is processed/found in their warehouse and is ready to be shipped.

Sometimes it can take a couple days for the item to be found/processed which, of course, lengthens the delivery time. >:(

Definitely not like the early days of Prime...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Made my first things in IP yesterday.  First was custard in ramekins using this recipe:  https://www.kindofdomestic.com/recipe/classic-egg-custard/ except I didn't use any nutmeg and I strained the mix before putting into the ramekins.  Came out great.

Later I made dinner - cabbage soup (aka cabbage borscht) using the ingredient recipe from my blog (link below) and using the following procedure:

Put everything in the IP except the carrots and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.  Quick release then add the carrots and cook on high for 6 minutes.  10 minute natural release then a quick release.

cabbage-soup-ip.jpg.430c6e4764f7f14dcdd319542b624669.jpg

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Made my first things in IP yesterday.  First was custard in ramekins using this recipe:  https://www.kindofdomestic.com/recipe/classic-egg-custard/ except I didn't use any nutmeg and I strained the mix before putting into the ramekins.  Came out great

Thanks for this. I love egg custard and have not had one in years.

My 2004 eG Blog

@mgaretz

pleased you have joined the iPot Club.

Hoping you have a basket that fits in your iPot

now their are several choices 

as pressure-steaming

HB eggs , various potato types , for mash right then or cooled for potato salad

beets  etc

over 1 cup of water

for me 

make this a revolutionary device.