• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

C1F26196-1B80-4096-82CB-EFC6805766AC.thumb.jpeg.947803e673c44354c90ecb89743c13fe.jpeg

4 lb. Commerial Corned Beef (soaked in water for an hour and rinsed) cooked for 75 minutes (with one 12 oz. beer, three cups water, one stalk celery halved and one half onion, sliced, and seasoning packet) at High pressure, 20 minute Natural Release; Meat removed from pot, tented with foil and allowed to rest while the Vegetables were cooked in the beef cooking liquid for 5 minutes, High pressure, Quick Release.

Do elaborate on the texture, please.  I'm about to pull the corned beef briskets from a side-by-side comparison between oven braising and stovetop boiling.  (Hey, I only bought 2 packages and there are many more ways to do them!) I put the pressure cooker method off to second or third round, and am interested to know whether it's worth doing.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Do elaborate on the texture, please.  I'm about to pull the corned beef briskets from a side-by-side comparison between oven braising and stovetop boiling.  (Hey, I only bought 2 packages and there are many more ways to do them!) I put the pressure cooker method off to second or third round, and am interested to know whether it's worth doing.

I used a Sam’s Club Member’s Mark Angus Corned Beef Brisket, U.S. Choice Premium Flat Cut. For me, the texture was perfect. The meat was very tender, but firm enough to slice easily, without falling apart. Very happy with the result.

B81F63B5-25CB-4406-83A9-4FED99F90F97.thumb.jpeg.8bb02800449e577b7b380a38a3e51a1d.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 7

BDE23E24-8ADD-4F80-A456-E8C3532B4327.thumb.jpeg.8c64ff2500d9938cb36ea0520b06e99a.jpeg

This was an experiment in reheating food in the Instant Pot while at the same time cooking some fresh beans.  It was not 100% successful in that the beans were a little overcooked and the pork chops and mushrooms were not quite as warm as I would’ve liked. But I believe it can be tweaked quite easily.  

I used the porcelain bowl which you see in the photograph to hold the pork chops and mushrooms and covered it with a layer of parchment and a layer of foil to seal it from any steam.  I put a cup of water into the Instant Pot and then put in the trivet that comes with it. I made a sling for the porcelain bowl and put that on top of the trivet. I then put a folding steamer basket on top and added green beans. I set the controls to Steam and the time to five minutes and left it for 10 minutes to release naturally.

Next time I would use a metal bowl for the meal portion and set the timer for four minutes. I think this might nail it. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So today Fedex delivered a package. Naturally I assumed it was the new base for my mini.  It felt awfully heavy and when I open the package I discovered a brand new mini in there. 

I felt the company had been very fair with me — a little slow maybe — but fair. So I immediately emailed them to explain that I had received a whole new unit. Not long after they sent me an email to say I could use the new unit!  I am impressed even though I understand that sometimes it’s easier to replace than it is to send a replacement part. 

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So today Fedex delivered a package. Naturally I assumed it was the new base for my mini.  It felt awfully heavy and when I open the package I discovered a brand new mini in there. 

I felt the company had been very fair with me — a little slow maybe — but fair. So I immediately emailed them to explain that I had received a whole new unit. Not long after they sent me an email to say I could use the new unit!  I am impressed even though I understand that sometimes it’s easier to replace than it is to send a replacement part. 

NICE!

I accidentally ran across this Video on accessories for the Instant Pot. Until I saw this I considered the plastic rice paddle and plastic ladle that accompanied new Instant Pots to be pretty much useless.  I tucked them away in a drawer to be forgotten until discarded.  But it appears that they are quite useful. 

Further into the video the narrator discusses various things to use when doing pot in pot cooking which some people might find helpful. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

55F4EA03-9D6F-4EFB-9480-E8B389690ACB.thumb.jpeg.3ae87fd64f5062189c83b306fd5d3cf3.jpeg

I had such great hopes for this recipe for New England Clam Chowder from the recipe book that accompanies the Instant Pot. I was so disappointed.  Boring doesn’t even begin to describe the flavour. Except for making half the recipe I followed it to the letter.  No amount of added salt and pepper could redeem it.  Reading through it there is not much that is likely to overcome the flavour muting role of milk and cream. Here’s a link to an almost the identical recipe. The only difference being the option of using fresh clams. 

I am going to try to convert my favourite chowder recipe from the Canadian book   Looneyspoons. 

Here is the ingredient list:

1 Tbs olive oil (original calls for spray PAM) 
1/2cup chopped onions 
1/2cup chopped mushrooms 
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 can (5 ozs) clams and their juice 
1cup low salt chicken broth 
1/4 cup dry white wine 
3/4 cup peeled, cubed potatoes 
1/4 cup chopped celery 
1/8 cup chopped green onions 
1/4 lb fish fillets (cod, haddock or salmon) 
-- cut into chunks 
3/8 tsp dried basil 
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
drops Tabasco 
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper 
1 Tbs chopped parsley 
3 Tbs 35% cream 
3/8cup sour cream

More ingredients certainly but still using canned clams and it is delicious. 

Thanks for listening. xD

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

sorry this didn't work out.

Ive found that Meats ( possible clams ) just don't do so well at those higher temps in the iPot.

I doubt you went to the trouble to find fresh clams.

NECC , and NEFC   ( clam chowder , NE Fish Chowder , with Cod  [ good look finding one these days ] )

are not highly flavored soups.  Im sure you've had some fine ones over time 

and the salt pork or bacon adds a lot of sublet flavor w the milk / cream

you might use canned clams , but add them after the cooking

but what about Muscles ?   those come from Canada , eh ?

farmed , maybe frozen    TJ's has them

just a thought.

always enjoy your Hard Work in the Kitchen ,

so I can pay attention to Personal Hydration.

suprise.gif.4a574fb90cab92376755f180f5cf18fd.gif

Obtaining fresh clams is not an option for me. These canned clams are added long after the soup base is cooked and are only reheated.  They are never subjected to any pressure. 

I am glad you enjoyed my kitchen shenanigans. Being happy in the kitchen is my main aim in life. xD

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@weedy

well , when you're wrong , at least your are Outstandingly Wrong.

MCC is not that bad , much like Manhattan itself.

just make sure you have a Ticket to Leave

as soon as possible.

just saying.

take a look here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUsG-1kgT0

N.B.:

"""and some celery , which is cut into an even smaller dice : I don't think people want to eat chunks of celery.

but celery gives it a really nice flavor "

I completely agree  :  Why not put a hole celery stalk in and remove it /"

Jasper While is a wonderful NE Chef.

he used to be quite round but has figured out how to slim dowm

good for him.  Ive eaten in a few of his restaurants.

He is the real NE Deal. 

this is how you make NWCC , just use a stalk of celery and remove it 

suprise.gif.c8f2459c66cee3e2928ed2432ed53499.gif

his fish chowder is of course also to tie for.

http://www.pbs.org/video/julia-child-julias-kitchen-master-chefs-new-england-fish-chowder-jasper-white/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weedy said:

Good clam chowder= Manhattan. 

Clams need cream the way tuna needs mozzarella. 

I.E. not at all. 

One (wo)man’s clam chowder is another (wo)man’s fishy tomato soup.   :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  How is the wine coming along?

Well, it's aged for about a week now.

I'm sure it's going to be nominated for many major wine awards.

xD

I'm going have a taste over the weekend so I'll take a picture and give a review.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just a note on my replacement mini Instant Pot.  It seems to me it came with at least twice as many warning labels as before. All the same stuff about not getting in the way of the steam and not letting things get plugged up and not overloading it etc. 

But it also seems to have a new sensor for the power cord.   I had replaced the cord that came with the first mini with a longer one because I couldn’t reach the outlet with the short one that they included. That cord will not work with new mini. It sets off lights and noises and simply will not respond to any commands. I took the cord from the broken mini and exactly the same thing happens.  It works fine with the cord that it was shipped with. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

guess you need a short but low gauge extension cord  to add to the new cord

is there anything you can see on the new cord that different ?

its very hard to find short low gauge cords.

although one can make them easily enough.

intriguing.    

better that than Snow , any day.

• Like 1

Bouillabaisse is a different matter.

when Ive had it in , yes , Marseille it was not that tomato-eh.

but I agree , its odd I don't care for tomatoes a fish/shelfish.

Im not equating it w Green Bells , and I like tomatoes in so many other dishes.

not F/SF

no explanation that I can come up with , no bad memories  etc

just that the dishes above would seem better to me if you ran out of tomatoes just before you started making them.

its odd.

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

guess you need a short but low gauge extension cord  to add to the new cord

14 guage should handle all the watts/amps the instant pot would draw.

p

• Like 1

My "white wine" has been transferred to the bottles and taped shut as instructed.  In case they decide to explode, i have put them into the never used soaker tub, which is deep enough that should the "wine" erupt, it will be contained in the tub.  Many years ago I made dandelion wine.  All of the bottles exploded,, one after the other in the space of about 5 minutes.  Fortunately, they were in an unfinished basement but still.........

• Like 5