• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Thanks very much but I had already tried all the recommended cleaning shown in the videos. I am still not sure what is happening. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@ElsieD wow.  That sauce!  That nice clean Frenched bone!  Classic accompaniments also look amazing.  Hope you had a nice bottle of red to go with.

Sauce was good.  I use the standard onions, carrots and celery when I cook the shanks and then strain it all out and reduce the sauce.  Works well.  Pinot Noir was part of the liquid along with beef broth.

Edited to add:  the shanks were already frenched.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

Back home from England and brought a few cooking tricks home with me..these roasted spuds O M G ! 4 minute medium rare roast beast again...season, saute on both sides in oil , manual high pressure for 4 minutes and leave in pot 1 hour. Slice thinly. Broc and cheese sauce, honey roasted parsnips and Ahhh Bisto gravy mix! My nieces birthday dinner.

12121.jpg

28795247_10155278449132703_8775757523305250842_n.jpg

28870489_10155272964757703_8423930024025868327_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

Those roast potatoes look incredible. How did you do them?

Awaiting that answer as well; they DO look marvelous. 

What cut of roast was it? And what was the tenderness status, as compared to more conventional medium rare roast beef preps?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, kayb said:

Awaiting that answer as well; they DO look marvelous. 

What cut of roast was it? And what was the tenderness status, as compared to more conventional medium rare roast beef preps?

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

Roast was on sale last week wasTop Sirloin. The texture is good, I carve it thin. Its not melt in your mouth but its not tough. I've done this method three times now and was happy with the results each time. What is missing is the end crust from oven roasting.

• Like 6

On 2018-03-07 at 5:44 PM, Anna N said:

Thanks very much but I had already tried all the recommended cleaning shown in the videos. I am still not sure what is happening. 

I finally heard back from the support people but annoyingly they asked me to perform all the tests again!   Since I had done them and sent the photographs that they requested I am not prepared to repeat it all again.  I responded in this manner to them. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Hold on to your wallets, everyone!

I just read that the IP people are coming out with a new version this spring.  It will have 8 functions, the eighth function being a canning one.  In addition to that, it will also have an automatic stirrer for making things like risotto, new venting options and an easy-to-read  screen.  Expected price about $200.

• Like 2

@ElsieD

interesting

the stirrer  really complicates things.   hope it works.

and based on @Anna N  unfortunate customer service experience 

Im wondering if they have grown so large they have forgotten that customer service was a big part of their growth.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

I was at Amazon just now for other items

and on the lower bits

the ones that suggested I needed to by this right now

re: history at AMZN

InstaPot 6 Qt Steamer Basket or Pot 

interesting

then there is the is :

RSVP Endurance Stainless Steel Wide Rim 8-inch Mesh Basket, 3-Quart capacity

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted links to be Amazon-friendly (log)

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just read that the IP people are coming out with a new version this spring.  It will have 8 functions, the eighth function being a canning one.  In addition to that, it will also have an automatic stirrer for making things like risotto, new venting options and an easy-to-read  screen.  Expected price about $200.

Doggoned if I see the need in a canner that size. I guess if you were doing small -batch stuff. What can you put in there, three pint jars, maybe? Although, if I'm small-batching, it's likely either pickles or some sort of jam or preserve, and I can just get out my stock pot if I don't want to fool with the big canner.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

More details on the upcoming MAX model here (and in the links in this article):

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/instant-pot-max-peek/

• Like 1

All veggies done in the IP...sliced spuds, a splash of chicken stock, add cream and butter, 2 green onions, 4 cloves garlic, butter, salt and pepper. Manual high for 4 minutes...let sit as long as you like, mash the curdled looking mess and keep on warm. Broc and carrots 1/4 cup of salted water 4 minutes, leave to warm as long as you need. Roast piggy from our 1/2 pig we get from a friend each year. Cracklin' omg cracklin!

29027884_10155286980237703_1562230131274022912_n.jpg

29062888_10155286980187703_4378920188511256576_n.jpg

29067215_10155286980242703_8387679166077599744_n.jpg

• Like 11

14 hours ago, kayb said:

Doggoned if I see the need in a canner that size. I guess if you were doing small -batch stuff. What can you put in there, three pint jars, maybe? Although, if I'm small-batching, it's likely either pickles or some sort of jam or preserve, and I can just get out my stock pot if I don't want to fool with the big canner.

Before his sudden final illness, my father asked me about the IP and its kin specifically for that reason. He frequently wanted to try small batches of things, and thought it would be more practical for him than a full-sized pressure canner. 

Given the "not recommended for canning" verdict given electric pressure cookers by the USDA, he ultimately did buy the full-sized canner but didn't get the chance to use it. 

• Sad 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2018-03-10 at 4:58 AM, Anna N said:

I finally heard back from the support people but annoyingly they asked me to perform all the tests again!   Since I had done them and sent the photographs that they requested I am not prepared to repeat it all again.  I responded in this manner to them. 

Well it took a little back-and-forth between me and the support people but they are shipping me a new base. They do not require return of the old base but suggest I recycle it according to my municipality rules. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, rotuts said:

did they give you any idea of the problem ?

out of curiosity .................

This is what they said:

“Thank you for providing me with that information. This type of issue is caused by a problem with the pressure sensor, and you will need a new cooker base.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, FauxPas said:

I ran across this before but some of you may get a giggle out of it if you haven't already seen it yourselves:

How to Make Wine in an Instant Pot

I can't resist

IMG_4252.JPG.1e24f8412c7ba8e06a52adb8c4333352.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1