• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

1 minute ago, lindag said:

Wentto try it but now Incan't find the darned thing!  Did I throw it away?  It's possible.  O.o

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud when I read that, because it's EXACTLY the sort of thing I would do. xD

You can buy a replacement one at the Instant Pot site, but they are currently sold out (though they will email you when available). The one for the 8 qt is $9.95 which seems quite pricey but the smaller one may cost less and shipping is usually free. 

https://store.instantpot.com/collections/parts/small-parts

I suspect you can live without one, though. Just be a bit careful when you lift the lid off. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I suspect you can live without one, though. Just be a bit careful when you lift the lid off. 

If you forget they exist they can grow some very interesting flora and I suspect fauna!xD

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7884F3CB-7756-4A05-8749-E0472371AEC0.thumb.jpeg.09c2d1eec64854a9daf30c1ae442f50f.jpeg

DF1C5865-A242-46EE-A1A6-A82102DD1012.thumb.jpeg.7ec1fd74096653543607d77605e5d5ee.jpeg

Wow!  I added only one step to the recipe and that was to defat the cooking liquid before taking the stick blender to it. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks good, @Anna N.  I want to try this recipe next time I can get duck legs.  She suggests that the duck can be cooked and kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.  That makes me think it would lend itself to an easy dinner for company: do everything except crisp the skin a day in advance, then warm it all and crisp the skin on the day of the dinner party.  Does that sound right to you?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks good, @Anna N.  I want to try this recipe next time I can get duck legs.  She suggests that the duck can be cooked and kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.  That makes me think it would lend itself to an easy dinner for company: do everything except crisp the skin a day in advance, then warm it all and crisp the skin on the day of the dinner party.  Does that sound right to you?

Yes, it does. In fact that’s exactly what I’ve done although no company will be harmed in the process. I am, however, wondering if just crisping up the duck will get it warm enough for service.  It is pretty fragile otherwise I might consider sticking it in the sous vide just to warm it up.  I might still consider it.  Do be careful with the amount of salt called for.  I miscalculated slightly forgetting that my stock was salted.  It is still delicious. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

Wow indeed.

Im yet to be convinced that iP'd meat is the best way to go

viz a viz  SV

independently of time , work etc.

but I do plan to try this Rx  as dark meat fowl may  work well enough iP'd

thanks for the post and the Rx.

I made pot roast a couple weeks ago and used all the leftover meat for sandwiches...they were SO good!

your photo has inspired me to do that again.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Wow!  I added only one step to the recipe and that was to defat the cooking liquid before taking the stick blender to it. 

I looked at the recipe before reading the rest of your post, and thought - "why don't they defat the liquid before blending it?"  Great minds... 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I looked at the recipe before reading the rest of your post, and thought - "why don't they defat the liquid before blending it?"  Great minds... 

I cook a fair amount of duck and I approached it exactly the way you did. Unless these legs came from a  new breed of fat-free duck there was going to be a lot of fat. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

i was also thinking about the reheating after refrigeration.

Wasn't one of Paula Wolferts' methods to first steam the legs before crisping up in a pan?  Or starting in a cold pan? I believe she also approved of the oven/broiler method, but certainly for long enough to bring the whole leg to temp.  

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

i was also thinking about the reheating after refrigeration.

Wasn't one of Paula Wolferts' methods to first steam the legs before crisping up in a pan?  Or starting in a cold pan? I believe she also approved of the oven/broiler method, but certainly for long enough to bring the whole leg to temp.  

I confess to not being aware of Paula Woolfert’s method but it certainly sounds reasonable and she usually knew what she was talking about.  With the Cuisinart Steam Oven it is easy enough to test it out. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I own 6 PC cookbooks, three of them have oxtail recipes.    I looked  to see for how long they should be cooked at high pressure and got 35 minutes, 55 minutes and 75 minutes.  If anyone has cooked oxtails in the IP can they please post how long they cooked them for?

@ElsieD

this does not answer your question , but " Hip "  says 40 - 45 natural release in the Table section

but the Rx on 188  for Filipino Oxtail Stew  says at at 40 - 45 min the oxtails will not be completely cooked.

they are dried and browned in the iP taking five minutes than 

items are added to make a 'gravy and then whole shebang is iP'd for 5 minutes w a 10 minute release.

so Id day your 55 min is about right.

interesting to see what others have done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I own 6 PC cookbooks, three of them have oxtail recipes.    I looked  to see for how long they should be cooked at high pressure and got 35 minutes, 55 minutes and 75 minutes.  If anyone has cooked oxtails in the IP can they please post how long they cooked them for?

While I haven't cooked oxtails by themselves, we have a barbacoa recipe that includes them along with chuck. They get seared first, then we cook them (along with the chuck, which is cut into strips) for 25 minutes with natural release. The meat falls out of the bones.

• Like 4

Update concerning my mini.

I have had no response from the company and I was about to rattle their chains when I read a little further into their email. They had requested a series of photographs of the pot in operation  and of various labels and parts.  I have completed the requested tests and submitted the photographs.  So back to waiting mode.

oops. Better more relevant link click.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

wow  iPot has gotten too big to answer the phone ?

I have yet to resort to the telephone. So far I am communicating via email which I find usually sufficient.

My 2004 eG Blog

Update

A15316B0-E251-41C0-83A2-A462C47BC0B4.thumb.jpeg.7ff951cbeb9cc12c6d86cd8f6ab6c3ed.jpeg

Thanks to @weinoo for the idea of using steam to reheat the duck leg before searing it.

I had some cooked basmati rice in the freezer so I put it onto an ovenproof dish and topped it with the refrigerated duck leg. I popped it into the  Cuisinart Steam Oven and cooked it on the steam/bake function at 250°F for 20 minutes.  I then seared the duck leg.  The sauce was reheated separately. Worked out well. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

wow  iPot has gotten too big to answer the phone ?

I have been attempting to understand what exactly is happening with my mini. Using nothing but water in the inner pot I have run it through its cycle multiple times this afternoon. I also replaced the gasket which is what seemed to have caused the whole problem in the first place. Only once during these multiple trials was I able to replicate the problem.  Now I don’t know what to think. 

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

"  it started expelling steam at the same rate as you would expect if you were doing a quick release '

I assume you mean the steam was coming out of the release valve area ?

if so , and not around the pot where the seal is , the release valve is not working properly.

maybe the metal item that pops up to indicate pressure is stuck and dirty ?

that you cannot replicate the issue all the time suggest something like that.

interesting problem.

• Like 1