• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

Geese have finally moved in.  Goose legs are very very tough and normally not something that most people keep to eat.  Except for this house xD.

A whole  Instant pot full of legs (these had been a light salt brine for a few days) seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaf

IMG_3977.JPG.a51537e583a0cfa5e14c028057dfad38.JPG

Four hours later I strained and kept the broth . The meat is falling off the bones.  A side note:  These goose bones did not break down a bit after 4 hours of pressure--I think that's the only type of bone I've seen that doesn't.

IMG_3978.JPG.0f5e889284caa3780c4bb70489fed7a3.JPG

Tender

IMG_3979.JPG.f3b2c87fae32ca828850e8ebeaef62a9.JPG

All picked off

IMG_3980.JPG.83d607b6ae92c966a49faaed5f2366a6.JPG

I threw a pat of butter in the Instant Pot along with some onions, carrots, celery and brussel sprouts and cooked that for a bit.  Then a jar of my tomatoes, the goose meat and the broth.  Pressure cooked for 10 mins.  Quick release. I did the noodles on the stove because they soak up too much broth sometimes.

And voila!  Goose and noodles

IMG_3982.JPG.6cc0505f30e648192f992e603ca289ff.JPG

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby

send your report to  Field and Stream if it still exists.

consider a FastaPasta :

https://fastapasta.com

I have the original , and it works great.  it does foam over and I use a plate under it in the Micro.

the liquid on the plate I use to add back to the cooked pasta  .  its very thick .  " Save some Pasta Water '  etc

they have a taller version now , which Id recommend  :  no foam over Id guess .

https://fastapasta.com/product/fasta-pasta-family-size-microwave-cooker/

Fasta Pasta, Family Size, on Amazon

these work very well.

• Like 1

@Shelby That meat looks  so good.  No hunters in this household, but if there were I'd definitely be using the dark meat.

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Indian cooking and the Instant Pot

Pitre’s book, which is officially endorsed by Instant Pot, includes recipes for making dal without pre-soaking the legumes; homemade paneer, an Indian cheese, in about fourteen minutes; and biryani, a complex rice dish that’s typically reserved for special occasions, in just five minutes (the secret is adding the rice in a thin, even layer on top of the vegetables, and then using the manual setting to cook the biryani on high pressure).

Parveen Tumber, an Indian-American lawyer from Sacramento, fell hard for Pitre’s recipe for kheema, a luxurious, aromatic dish of spicy ground beef, peas, and onions. The recipe typically involves standing over a pan and stirring the mixture for twenty minutes to prevent the onions and spices from burning. Pitre’s version involves putting the ingredients into the Instant Pot, then cooking the whole dish for five minutes.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2226A05B-95E0-4F6C-9C79-D706F9CF0AB8.thumb.jpeg.2935c569a7f1ee1cbffe593d88da9187.jpeg

“Doggy bag” Nando’s chicken re-heated in the CSO ( Cuisinart Steam Oven) and broccoli cooked in the Mini for 0 minutes —quick release. Thanks, @Shelby.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas. Did ribs, which were fast and tender but I’ll still take the traditional low and slow over wood. Does anyone have a recipe and directions how I can do a whole chicken? Then what about a Asian barbecue sauce or glaze to finish it in the oven???

• Like 2

I believe this is called project creep! 

I thought I would make the fast version of butter chicken that @Alex posted just upthread.  I had already bookmarked the recipe  even before Alex posted, but as it happens, @Kerry Bealalso sent me a link.   Though she was at work today, when the alligators were not attacking her gluteus maximus, we managed to chat about the recipe.  She fired up my enthusiasm and I found some chicken thighs in the freezer.  This I could whip up in no time at all. 

The chicken thighs were bone in and skin on. I thawed them using the Joule, skinned and deboned them and cut them into bite-size pieces.  I am so accustomed to making chicken tikka masala that it never occurred to me to actually pay much attention to the recipe.   

So the chicken thighs got the tikka  treatment. This means they were marinated in yogurt and spices. 

While they were marinating I rendered the fat from the chicken skin to make a cook’s treat and a small supply of chicken fat and quickly put together the bones and other bits and pieces to make a stock in the IPM (Instant Pot Mini). 

After the chicken has been marinating in the refrigerator for an hour I melted some ghee on a sheet pan,  added the marinated chicken and turned it over so there was butter on both sides and stuck the pan under the broiler. 

13466C9A-7735-4690-9441-AD50BAA06A7A.thumb.jpeg.321a62a337f92b11bbe138d67fc5b129.jpeg

Please note that I have not officially even started the “fast recipe” that precipitated this activity. 

As I began to gather ingredients for the actual recipe I realized that somewhere along the line I had mis-read the recipe.  Chicken pieces were not meant to be cut up into bite-size pieces. Nor were they meant to be marinated and broiled. I had somehow, I think, conflated the uses for the extra sauce with the main recipe.

No matter. It would just be a little more flavourful from the char on the chicken and the marinade. 

The actual recipe came together very quickly. I decided not to place the chicken in the instant pot at the beginning with the sauce but rather to cook the sauce for five minutes and then add the chicken given that it was almost cooked already. 

According to my records I started this fast recipe at 2:20 this afternoon it is now 5:30 almost and I have just finished.

Why do things simply when you can complicate the hell out of them.

But this is my bounty:

BEC1EBD8-A757-4F92-BE38-7568E10F58EB.thumb.jpeg.c1e39c861f93b52465ccb0a6ead454e0.jpeg

“Butter Tikka” before blending and addition of the cream.  For me I think there are four meals worth here.  I will probably cave and share some with my son-in-law.  

339C150B-3792-47C1-84D3-60F39C3B8D86.thumb.jpeg.5da659a976c95b735f1464d3a6b4e666.jpeg

Chicken skin, chicken stock, chicken fat. 
  • Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

I believe this is called project creep! 

My housemate is out of town and he can't eat onions, garlic or anything related to them so I thought I would take advantage of it and make Butter Chicken with real garlic. I've made butter chicken before but because this was instant pot I decided to try this. I followed it to the letter except for the cilantro, I didn't have any. I used chicken breast and reduced the time to 9 minutes. They were still a little dry. The whole time from push the button to plate was under 30 minutes. It was very good but I have made better. I will probably go back to this recipe. It's not instant pot and and maybe not even authentic Indian, but I thought the flavor was much better.

My version with rice pilaf, also made in the instant pot.

20180113_174618.thumb.jpg.3e97ad6bcd7855dc3c4c4a36a11d35ad.jpg

As Anna N said, it made quite a lot of chicken and a lot of sauce so I have plenty for tonight and plenty of sauce and rice as a treat for my little dog.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, David Ross said:

Does anyone have a recipe and directions how I can do a whole chicken? Then what about a Asian barbecue sauce or glaze to finish it in the oven???

I do whole chickens in the instant pot all the time. I put them in the pot with 2 cups of chicken broth, if I have it, or two cups of water and good chicken bouillon. I set it for 25 minutes and when it is done, it is nice and moist and literally falling off the bone. I then debone it and use the meat for sandwiches, soup, casseroles, or a quick meal with a good sauce. I've never considered finishing it in the oven but I suppose that if you reduce the time to 15 that it would be possible, although I can't see what would be the advantage or the time-saving. When I roast a chicken, I use the high heat method and cook it at 450 degrees for about an hour and a half, depending on the size of the chicken. the chicken turns out incredibly moist and delicious and I only have the roasting pan to wash. it seems to me that the time that you spend on bringing it to pressure, cooking time, natural release time and then finishing it in the oven would be just about the same as cooking it in the oven from start to finish. I really like chicken cooked in the instant pot and I love roast chicken, but to me they are two different birds.

This is one recipe that I did try for roasting a chicken in the instant pot by browning it first and she gives a method for finishing it in the in the oven. To me, browning it in that pot was a big PIA and didn't achieve significant results. So I went back to my two separate methods for two separate results. Hope this helps.

• Like 4

5a5e70e65faf7_IMG_2422(1).thumb.jpg.b0caea3e2aa6343cb65acf8f2c46a7a3.jpg

Carnitas started in Instant Pot (30 min at high pressure, waited 1 hr in Keep Warm mode while I was elsewhere), then transferred with all the juice to the Falk copper sauté pan that @JoNorvelleWalker persuaded me to get.  The liquid was rapidly boiled off and the meat browned nicely to complete a totally eG-enabled approach to the dish.  Yum!

Edited by Fernwood
Remove superfluous images (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

I am posting this here (it already appears on the breakfast thread) Because it was first cooked in the instant pot before it was carefully broiled. 

B882164A-F51C-418A-AEB4-F03A144FB0A8.thumb.jpeg.e4a9e447476fdf3c6336bfacab182736.jpeg

But also because nobody’s curiosity was piqued by the object directly in front of the pork.  That is a hunk of brass wrapped in foil. There is one on the other side of the pork. It was the only thing I could come up with that would allow me to keep pork steady as I turned it to broil all of the curved sides.  Worked like a charm made the pan extremely heavy to lift. :)

Edited by Anna N
piqued for peaked - Lousy proofreading (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

missed that.

I was morel or less drooling excessively on that Pork and its crackling.

have you posted else where on what the cut of P is and what you did with it before the iP ?

and then after ?

No because I was winging it the whole way. It is quite a small piece of pork belly. I laid it out with the skin side down and cut through the flesh almost through to the skin at 1 inch intervals. Following something I had seen somewhere in my travels I stuffed some scallions, some ginger slices and some garlic slices into the slits. I seasoned it well with salt and pepper and then rolled up and tied it. I put it on a rack in the instant pot, added a cup of water and cooked it on high pressure for 15 minutes. I let the pressure come down on its own. I then dabbed the skin as dry as I could,  stabbed it  all over with a fork before broiling it in my big oven slowly, turning it as needed.

I had no real plans for it. I ate the crackling and I carved the pork and froze the slices and will use it in various dishes over the coming weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

27C7E078-91D0-40D1-9023-39D81BEA9173.thumb.jpeg.06a75679d419b39ed142f8f09336ea35.jpeg

95191306-81F6-4702-98E0-7585275C2ACA.thumb.jpeg.8240ee546ac9f6950fff28dfad528ff0.jpeg

670904F7-B900-4870-AE26-4980D958A6CC.thumb.jpeg.c1279b3da9f9a0640211b7875cd53889.jpeg

Cabbage rolls in Instant Pot. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Those look SO good, Anna.

Thanks.  It is good that we do not have a tasteometer!  

I am totally kicking myself. I knew, knew, knew that I should cook up a small patty to check the seasoning of the stuffing. I didn’t. It is decidedly underseasoned. I also thought I’d be just too clever and thicken the sauce with some instant mashed potatoes. Another bad move. I will eat them but I had hoped to share them. Don’t think I will bother.

That said, I blanched the cabbage last night (in the Instant Pot) and stripped the leaves off bit by bit and stuck them in a big plastic bag and kept them in the fridge overnight. They were 100 times easier to wrap neatly than I’ve ever found before. I did shave the centre vein but I did not remove it. I put the cabbage in a mesh produce bag which made it easy to dip it into an out of the IP to strip its leaves. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, weedy said:

When you say blanched in the IP, do you mean steamed actually?

or dipped into boiling water?

Dipped into boiling water. It just happens that it was the largest pot that I had easily available to me at the time.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Thanks.  It is good that we do not have a tasteometer!  

I am totally kicking myself. I knew, knew, knew that I should cook up a small patty to check the seasoning of the stuffing. I didn’t. It is decidedly underseasoned. I also thought I’d be just too clever and thicken the sauce with some instant mashed potatoes. Another bad move. I will eat them but I had hoped to share them. Don’t think I will bother.

That said, I blanched the cabbage last night (in the Instant Pot) and stripped the leaves off bit by bit and stuck them in a big plastic bag and kept them in the fridge overnight. They were 100 times easier to wrap neatly than I’ve ever found before. I did shave the centre vein but I did not remove it. I put the cabbage in a mesh produce bag which made it easy to dip it into an out of the IP to strip its leaves. 

Thanks for all that information!  I love cabbage rolls but almost never make them because of the hassle with the cabbage leaves, your method looks so much easier and I will try it!

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

Thanks for all that information!  I love cabbage rolls but almost never make them because of the hassle with the cabbage leaves, your method looks so much easier and I will try it!

Apparently it is even easier if you core the cabbage and then freeze it. I haven’t tried that method because I don’t have room in my freezer for a head of cabbage but I’ve read enough about it to think it might be worth an attempt if you do have space. 

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Apparently it is even easier if you core the cabbage and then freeze it. I haven’t tried that method because I don’t have room in my freezer for a head of cabbage but I’ve read enough about it to think it might be worth an attempt if you do have space. 

That's how I do it--sometimes I don't even core it.  Works like a dream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am posting this here (it already appears on the breakfast thread) Because it was first cooked in the instant pot before it was carefully broiled. 

B882164A-F51C-418A-AEB4-F03A144FB0A8.thumb.jpeg.e4a9e447476fdf3c6336bfacab182736.jpeg

But also because nobody’s curiosity was peaked by the object directly in front of the pork.  That is a hunk of brass wrapped in foil. There is one on the other side of the pork. It was the only thing I could come up with that would allow me to keep pork steady as I turned it to broil all of the curved sides.  Worked like a charm made the pan extremely heavy to lift. :)

I never got past the crackling! Drool worthy.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

Even the great Julia did it.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!