• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

And doesn't a quick release bring everything to a major, roiling boil in there?  Gotta be careful with that, too.

With my stovetop pressure cooker, I was always able to move it to the sink, and run cold water on it; that brought the temp down very quickly without the issue of worrying about everything inside boiling like crazy.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't see boiling as as an isssue

unless the vigor of the bubbles clouds your contents.

boiling is just water at 212 w extra energy to change phase.

i agree that many Rx's over state the time.

Ive found this much more common w meat than hard veg.

I don't use my iP much for meat and I usually only pressure steam veg.

unlerss I want some veg flavor in the New Stock.

26 minutes ago, weedy said:

And yet, I tried Bok Choy as per an online recipe and it too was way cooked to mush. 

If I were going to cook bok choy in a pressure cooker (an unlikely scenario)  I would select zero minutes and then do a quick release. What timing were you given?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, weedy said:

I think it was 5 mins plus quick release.

it was WAY overdone.

Indeed it would be. I wish I had some bok choy to try at 0 minutes.  I’m just not at all convinced that it is the most appropriate cooking method for this vegetable but I would still try it if I could,  just for the experience. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Indeed it would be. I wish I had some bok choy to try at 0 minutes.  I’m just not at all convinced that it is the most appropriate cooking method for this vegetable but I would still try it if I could,  just for the experience. 

I do both broccoli and green beans at 0 and they come out about perfect for me (quick release method).  There are times that I want the beans more done--like the southern style with bacon and new potatoes.  Those I do for 20 mins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I do both broccoli and green beans at 0 and they come out about perfect for me (quick release method).  There are times that I want the beans more done--like the southern style with bacon and new potatoes.  Those I do for 20 mins.

How are you prepping the broccoli? I’m asking how big you are making the florets? Thanks. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

How are you prepping the broccoli? I’m asking how big you are making the florets? Thanks. 

I don't trim them up much.....maybe a few are bigger than bite size but not many.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rotuts said:

I don't see boiling as as an isssue

unless the vigor of the bubbles clouds your contents.

boiling is just water at 212 w extra energy to change phase.

Yes, exactly - it will cloud stock for sure.  And if you want certain beans to remain whole, you also have to be careful, as they will break apart under heavy boiling, once they've been cooked to tender.

In my opinion, I don't get how the IP is better for cooking many vegetables, which take so little time to cook anyway.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Pressure-steaming is my way to go w Veg.

wire basket over 1 cup of water.

once you note the times that suit your vegetables and your palate

all you do is push a button and do something else in the meantime.

its just very simple and fool-proof.

• Like 2

I don't know how often you ruined your vegetables prior to owning an IP, rotuts, but I pretty much have that down - even if I'm doing something else!

Hold on - I think somethings boiling on the stove xD !

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I feel the same as rotuts.....My IP's are always out and it's just so handy to throw my veg in there and I get the same results every time--I do a lot of broccoli for stir fry dinners in there....we like our broccoli a tad more done than it gets in the stir fry.  

Now I'm not saying I do something like frozen peas in there xD

• Like 1

@weinoo 

I sued to use the micro a lot of the time.

but it was dependent on amount and varied tremendously 

I like pressure-steaming as almost all of the flavor states in the Veg , as the iPot has a different button for 

' Soup '

tongue-out.gif.770bbd3dc1a1b2daeb89c18d974c2b9d.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I think, as well all do with our IPs, CSOs, SVs, and on and on with all the new "gadgets" that have been marketed over the past decade, forget to enjoy some of the real aspects of cooking. And often, create problems which weren't there before!

But I guess this discussion is for a far more existential topic. Sex parties?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I think, as well all do with our IPs, CSOs, SVs, and on and on with all the new "gadgets" that have been marketed over the past decade, forget to enjoy some of the real aspects of cooking. And often, create problems which weren't there before!

But I guess this discussion is for a far more existential topic. Sex parties?

I think part of it is that once we have a new hammer then everything is a nail!   Most of us get over that fairly quickly and realize that our latest toy isn’t necessarily the most appropriate tool for the job at hand or just because you can doesn’t mean you should. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Now I'm not saying I do something like frozen peas in there xD

If it helps, I do my frozen peas 8 minutes on steam in the CSO.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Shelby

I did a couple of artichokes in the IP last night.  After almost needing a chainsaw to hack the tops off I decided that I better go a lot longer than what I found online.  Online people cooked theirs for 20 mins.  I went 30.  Came out perfect :)

Thanks - I hadn't seen that, so I started with 5 minutes. No dice...added another 5.  No dice...aAdded another 5. No dice.  Ended up steaming them for about 25-28 minutes - almost as long as doing them in a standard steamer!

This is a vegetable where I'm wondering whether a 20 minute steam with a natural release is the way to go.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

This is a vegetable where I'm wondering whether a 20 minute steam with a natural release is the way to go.

I just did some in the IP last night. They were medium-large and fairly fresh. I did them for 18 mins and left them for about another 7 mins before doing a release. Seemed just about right. I used to buy the smaller ones from TJs and I think I did those for 15 mins, so I added on a few more mins. 

• Like 1

504846EF-CD2A-4185-8781-53466E2A7F85.thumb.jpeg.5c8ec02a437766ca917445eb795f8c73.jpeg

Perhaps one of the easiest recipes I have yet attempted in the mini.  Only two main ingredients – – pork shoulder and barbecue sauce.  It was a desperation move on my part. There was a small piece of pork shoulder in the refrigerator that needed to be dealt with and I was running very short on stamina.  I have always said I am not a fan of pulled pork but this was perfectly adequate for a quick lunch and there are two baggies ready to go into the freezer for the next time I need something fast and tasty. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog