• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

4 hours ago, saluki said:

Are you halving the recipe for the mini?

I didn’t quite halve it but I did adjust it but more because I didn’t have enough mushrooms. I suspect it would do fine in the mini as it stands. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

E04F138E-83A1-4DE2-AACB-5640A40C4980.thumb.jpeg.4d14ff02363466dadaaacfc5f5b1abe0.jpeg

Duck maryland cooked in the Instant Pot mini.  Unfortunately the skin stuck to the mini because I didn’t have it hot enough I suspect. I actually did two

duck legs one of which will be stashed in the fridge for another meal.  Roasted shallots and carrots. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/4/2017 at 3:15 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't pretend to understand this disease but you certainly have my sympathy. It must be terrible to live with, especially if you love food.

I don't see why this recipe couldn't be modified. Just use any gluten free cookie for the crust and the flour can be left out of the filling or substituted with any gluten free flour. The cake will just be a little more creamy. I have made this cake four times and it has been perfect each time.

Instant Pot New York Cheesecake

Crust
3/4 cup any type of shortbread cookie (crushed)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
16 oz cream cheese room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon peel grated
2 eggs room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1 pinch salt
Sour Cream Layer
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave and add to cookie mixture. Pulse until just combined.
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 8-inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
Filling
Blend together cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.
Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom of your pressur cooker and place a trivet inside the pot.
Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
Place cheesecake into pressure cooker.
Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 35 minutes. Allow a 20 minute natural release.
After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and leave the cake the cooker. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
Sour Cream Layer
Whisk together the sour cream and sugar and then spread on the hot cheesecake.  Let cool inside the pressure cooker for at least one hour.
Tightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.  Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.

Note: the gentler that you treat the ingredients, the denser the cake will be. If you want a creamier cheesecake whip the cream cheese sugar and sour cream together, but never whip in the eggs. This will cause air bubbles in the cake that you do not want!

As I said, I took the procedure and most of the recipe from this website: https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/  and it is well worth reading her instructions and tips at this site: https://thisoldgal.com/perfect-pressure-cooker-cheesecake-tips/

I made a half-recipe of this in my Instant Pot Mini for our Christmas gathering.  It was a hit.  For the record, I used Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese, and it worked well.  Also for the record, my 25-year-old nephew informed me that I need to make two cheesecakes next time.  I think it's so he'll be able to take one home with him. ;)

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I made a half-recipe of this in my Instant Pot Mini for our Christmas gathering.  It was a hit.  For the record, I used Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese, and it worked well.  Also for the record, my 25-year-old nephew informed me that I need to make two cheesecakes next time.  I think it's so he'll be able to take one home with him. ;)

Thank you for the mention. I'm so glad you like this recipe. For Thanksgiving, I wanted a pumpkin cheesecake so I changed this a little. Instead of the sour cream, I used 1/2  cup of pumpkin puree, (homemade, of course. In the instant pot) added, 1 tablespoon of chopped, crystallized ginger, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon of cloves. Because of the added liquid, I increased the cooking time to 40 minutes. It turned out great. Because this cheesecake is so easy to make, I make it regularly just for us.

BTW, the crystallized ginger was also homemade. I made it in my instant pot.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Spelling (log)

FYI -- on gluten free cheesecake crusts -- I've been successful (I have a child with celiac disease) in subbing almond meal for the flour/graham cracker/cookie crumbs. Slightly different flavor profile, but not much.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

FYI -- on gluten free cheesecake crusts -- I've been successful (I have a child with celiac disease) in subbing almond meal for the flour/graham cracker/cookie crumbs. Slightly different flavor profile, but not much.

It sounds like it would be delicious. With this, I would leave out the lemon zest and use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of almond flavoring. It would give it the flavor of an angel food cake.

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I just found this page from the internet, 125+ GLUTEN-FREE FRIENDLY PRESSURE COOKER RECIPES, here. Hope there's something here that you could use.

Thanks. She's not here a great deal, but it's always good to have something like this when she is.

Fortunately, she has always been one who loves fruits and veggies with a minimum of prep. Not big on fancy preps for fish, and not much of a meat-eater. She misses pasta, but quinoa pasta has helped in that regard. And gluten free pizza crust is a mainstay.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Some time ago I learned that my son-in-law really wanted a pot roast.  The Instant Pot seemed the perfect vehicle to make this. Then on a recent shopping trip I spotted this 

7464E3D1-FF49-4DF8-BCB2-AA1C07900AB9.thumb.jpeg.a2e900f449763d1d0fde9d5e00a118c7.jpeg

I divided it into two, froze half and turned the other into a pot roast using my brand new mini. 

19150E49-8A60-4F42-A9D1-4B6966E99973.thumb.jpeg.2fbe19c07256bdb19ee457d01f6834e1.jpeg

Son-in-law drove over a few minutes ago, grabbed this container and took it home. He reheated it and devoured most of it. He shared a little bit with my granddaughter. Both are very happy as am I.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

nice enough 

for now  

should you get this cut again

a )   decide if you want to remove the central tendon   easy enough 

b )  w/o that tendon, tie up the two ' streaks "   top and bottom

add some seasoning of your choice    

I love both Penzey's  Chicago Steak   and Sauer's   Roast Prime Rib

then SV's the tied up item   

at 130  to pasteurization  

chill

now you will have the

Finest Ingredients for a Steak Sandwich Ever !

of course you can eat the Roast Hot 

and it will be Mighty Fine !

blade roasts are hard to come by here in the Lower 48

Ive studied your On Sale Price

see that again

consider what ive mentioned

10 would be nice to SV Chill and Freeze

Steak Sands  until July !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

74545D55-77DF-4CE1-ACEE-52AC1039C05E.thumb.jpeg.25761b363d0c1f632ef989d974f6b8ec.jpeg

Duck ragout made in mini. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

So today I made a chile sauce and then cooked squid in it in the IP. 

Everything was nicely flavored but...

The large squid bodies I stuffed came out way tender. Almost too much so but acceptable. 

But the smaller rings and tentacle pieces I put in all but completely dissolved into the sauce. 

WAY too over cooked. 

I did 20 mins under pressure (as was recommended in an internets fra diavolo recipe). 

Do you IP wizards do squid?

did I just go too long?

sorry for the phone typos

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, weedy said:

No question. 

But seriously, any thoughts ?

most of the squid virtually liquified. 

Could you share a link to the recipe you used? I have not cooked squid in my Instant Pot but I have found that a difference of just a few minutes longer or shorter at pressure can make a big difference in results.

9 hours ago, weedy said:

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/calamari-in-umido-calamari-tomato-sauce-or-side-dish/

but it to be clear, the only thing I really took from this is the time recommendation. 

Did you do a Quick Release or a Natural Release of pressure?

The more I use my Instant Pot, the more I am finding that many times the food cooks a whole lot quicker than the time stated in the recipe. For instance, this morning I used the IP to cook boneless skinless chicken thighs. The recipe I was using as a reference called for breast meat, but also said thighs could be used. My thinking was that thighs would take longer to cook than breasts. However, with a high pressure cook time of 8 to 10 minutes, I decided to go with the shorter time, even though I was cooking thighs. When the pot naturally released after 15 minutes, I practically had to scoop the meat out with a spoon! The thighs were so soft, but delicious, that the tongs were shredding them.

CC6C364F-E392-4F5C-8DE5-A5D7A100D7EE.thumb.jpeg.fc09444523f0b711bebfeee190048ad7.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx
To add photo of Chicken. (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

The more I use my Instant Pot, the more I am finding that many times the food cooks a whole lot quicker than the time stated in the recipe.

I am with you. Overcooked food is much more of an issue than undercooked food. When I’m trying something for the first time I often go below even the recommended minimum time because you can always cook it a little longer but you can’t uncook it. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, robirdstx said:

The more I use my Instant Pot, the more I am finding that many times the food cooks a whole lot quicker than the time stated in the recipe. For instance, this morning I used the IP to cook boneless skinless chicken thighs. The recipe I was using as a reference called for breast meat, but also said thighs could be used. My thinking was that thighs would take longer to cook than breasts. However, with a high pressure cook time of 8 to 10 minutes, I decided to go with the shorter time, even though I was cooking thighs. When the pot naturally released after 15 minutes, I practically had to scoop the meat out with a spoon! The thighs were so soft, but delicious, that the tongs were shredding them.

CC6C364F-E392-4F5C-8DE5-A5D7A100D7EE.thumb.jpeg.fc09444523f0b711bebfeee190048ad7.jpeg

Looks like the perfect start of white chicken chili or chicken enchiladas 

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett