• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

E6E82169-E2BA-4876-8ADA-2F4FE6BB72BA.thumb.jpeg.bb80992c5bcab8a0cf510781c7d626df.jpeg

This help? It is from the instant pot manual. 

Thanks for that.  Letting it cool below 115F is necessary information, but I also want to know the temperature that the pot maintains during the "Normal" mode. I believe "Normal" amounts to a temperature specification, but I don't know what that temperature is.  

Edited by Smithy
Clarity (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sorry. Apparently I don’t understand the question.  I hope somebody else jumps in and helps you out. But try this.  Will have to scroll down to the yogurt setting

Click

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sorry. Apparently I don’t understand the question.  I hope somebody else jumps in and helps you out. But try this.  Will have to scroll down to the yogurt setting

Click

Thank you, that's very helpful. It gives me a target temperature range for what my pot should be doing: around 107F.

19 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did some googling and according to Laura of hippressurecooking, the temperature is between 110 - 115F.  If you like, i can plug mine in, set it to the yogurt function and test it.  

Thank you - that range is close to the 107F that is cited in Anna's link - but yes, if you have time and inclination I'd love to get your measured temperature in the 3-quart (mini) pot.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thank you, that's very helpful. It gives me a target temperature range for what my pot should be doing: around 107F.

Thank you - that range is close to the 107F that is cited in Anna's link - but yes, if you have time and inclination I'd love to get your measured temperature in the 3-quart (mini) pot.

Just put on a quart of water and I have my Thermapen at the ready.  I 'll get back to you.

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  the water in the mini was 105 at the 35 minute mark and wavered berween 105 and 106 at 46 minutes.

Beautiful, thank you!  Now I have an idea what temperature to shoot for during my yogurt incubation.  In the oven, with the pilot light on, may work well here. I'll have the pot wrapped for insulation as well.

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Beautiful, thank you!  Now I have an idea what temperature to shoot for during my yogurt incubation.  In the oven, with the pilot light on, may work well here. I'll have the pot wrapped for insulation as well.

Maybe wrap a towel or two around the container?  I haven't tried it but my sister does this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'm loathe to give up the yogurt culture so lovingly developed with the help of my IP.

If you are able to keep things frozen,  you can freeze your culture in small jars and keep it for several months. In fact, it is a good idea to always keep some of your culture in the freezer as a backup. I found a little jar in the back of my freezer that I think had been there for about 2 years. I thawed it out and it worked perfectly. This also works great for sourdough starter. Hope you're back on the grid soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If you are able to keep things frozen,  you can freeze your culture in small jars and keep it for several months. In fact, it is a good idea to always keep some of your culture in the freezer as a backup. I found a little jar in the back of my freezer that I think had been there for about 2 years. I thawed it out and it worked perfectly. This also works great for sourdough starter. Hope you're back on the grid soon.

Thank you for that information!  I didn't know that could be done with yogurt culture.  Is there a minimum amount you'd recommend in order to reseed the next culture?

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thank you for that information!  I didn't know that could be done with yogurt culture.  Is there a minimum amount you'd recommend in order to reseed the next culture?

My recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of yogurt culture. I always saved mine in some little caper jars that are 3.5 oz size. Small jars thaw quicker in a cup of warm water.

• Like 1

I managed to make yoghurt without the Instant Pot, thanks to the helpful information given here. Once I'm back on the grid I'll resume the IP, but it's nice to be able to do without it.

Thanks, Anna N, ElsieD and Tropicalsenior!

• Like 3

I thought I'd mention that The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric is on sale for $2.99 US for the Kindle version. 

It's written by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, whom you may know from some of their other books - they are fairly prolific writers. And overall, it doesn't look like a bad book if you have an Instant Pot and are looking for some suggestions and/or guidance. It says 500 recipes, but some are slight variations on earlier ones. 

The Instant Pot Mini (3 qt) is on sale again on Amazon for $49.99. I bought one this time! 

Instant Pot Mini 

No glass lid available right now, though - all sold out. Sigh. 

Weird! I just looked on Amazon again and now it's showing $59.99. I checked my order and they charged me $49.99. It was only 10 or 15 mins ago that I ordered. What do other people see for a price? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I see $59.99 for the 3qt IP.  Looks like the glass lids are expected back in stock on Dec 25.  Maybe Santa is bringing them?

Ha, yes the lids are back! I asked to be notified by Amazon when they were back in stock and just got an email a few minutes ago, so ordered one pronto! Thanks for checking on the price, I was wondering what others would see. It's odd that the lower price was only there for such a short while. O.o

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

The Instant Pot Mini (3 qt) is on sale again on Amazon for $49.99. I bought one this time! 

Instant Pot Mini 

Weird! I just looked on Amazon again and now it's showing $59.99. I checked my order and they charged me $49.99. It was only 10 or 15 mins ago that I ordered. What do other people see for a price? 

109.99 on Amazon.ca

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Instant Pot Mini 

$69.95  ...fortunately I do not want one.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

109.99 on Amazon.ca

That's weird, also. I live half the year in Canada and checked the price on Amazon.ca earlier and i know it was less than that. Maybe $89 or something? (Still way too much!!!) :-)

55 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

$69.95  ...fortunately I do not want one.

Crazy, eh? It's jumped up again by another $10! I"m seeing that now, also. 

I did want one of the minis, so I'm glad I jumped when I did, but I bet it will be down again over Christmas. 

On 12/14/2017 at 5:01 PM, FauxPas said:

I thought I'd mention that The Great Big Pressure Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Machine, Both Stovetop and Electric is on sale for $2.99 US for the Kindle version. 

It's written by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, whom you may know from some of their other books - they are fairly prolific writers. And overall, it doesn't look like a bad book if you have an Instant Pot and are looking for some suggestions and/or guidance. It says 500 recipes, but some are slight variations on earlier ones. 

While they are prolific writers, I don't think they're particularly good. At the beginning of the book, they make a big mistake, stating that you should use low sodium ingredients because in a pressure cooker, the salt has "nowhere to go."  Also, I don't think they really tested the times for both kinds of pressure cookers -- stovetop and electric. They seem to use a standard increase in time for electric pressure cookers, when in most cases (in my experience when I was working on my first book), the time is the same or even less for electric cookers, because of the increase in time it takes them to come to pressure. But if you're careful with your times and don't believe them on anything scientific, then it's probably a useful book to have.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JAZ said:

While they are prolific writers, I don't think they're particularly good.

It's because they are so prolific that I approached this book with a bit of caution; hard to believe that they can be 'experts' on so many things so quickly. It's true that they haven't approached things the same way you have. 

I would not have bought the book at full price, but for $2.99, I think I can get something useful out of it.

I see the price is back up to $14.99 for the Kindle version now, and I doubt many of us would pay that. 

B5659F90-4A75-432E-B49C-D62DBF0A6367.thumb.jpeg.77cf6d1def29cbac4aa54be4296e5ecc.jpeg

Dinner topic? Soup topic?  Instant Pot topic won this time.  Mushroom soup made in my new mini based on the recipe by our own @pazzaglia and available on her website 

Here.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

83CBF05F-0923-4C00-85CD-CA671C978454.thumb.jpeg.cb35bc7193a2cf6e6072dd2472c26844.jpeg

More soup. I was given three small kabocha squash but when I went to store them today I discovered that each of them had one or two small soft spots. I was not willing to risk losing them so I turned them in to a roasted and curried soup in the mini. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog