• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

18 at a time ?

cooled down and refrigerated for

" Just  in Case ?"

with Yolks 

just a bit gel-like 

but not too much ?

very good

its not what you do

After

you get the eggs just right

that's another issue

her is the tip:

learn about pressure 

iPod eggs

y90u might need to take notes

well

that's just the start

• Like 1

Stumbled upon this recipe for pressure cooker Christmas Pudding on the Hip Pressure Cooking website.

Intrigued!

I have never made a Christmas pudding in my life, although at glance this recipe looks simple enough. Has any tried to pressure cook a Christmas pudding? Also, how would ceramic bowls hold up under pressure? I don't relish the idea of picking bits of bowl out my pudding. Although I do have a stainless steel mixing bowl that should fit in the IP.

• Like 1

I’ve done rice in Corning ceramic casserole dishes in the IP. 

It won’t blow up. 

I grew up wth Christmas pudding. 

I don’t miss it. 

I’d rather just put hard sauce on something BETTER. 

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Beebs said:

Stumbled upon this recipe for pressure cooker Christmas Pudding on the Hip Pressure Cooking website.

Intrigued!

I have never made a Christmas pudding in my life, although at glance this recipe looks simple enough. Has any tried to pressure cook a Christmas pudding? Also, how would ceramic bowls hold up under pressure? I don't relish the idea of picking bits of bowl out my pudding. Although I do have a stainless steel mixing bowl that should fit in the IP.

Thank you for the recipe, it looks great and I intend to try it. It seems to be well researched and the directions are simple and well explained. I make bread pudding and cheesecake in my electric pressure cooker all the time and I have never had any problems. The rule about using utensils in the pressure cooker is if you can use it in your oven it is safe in the pressure cooker. The pressure cooker never gets over about 250 degrees and your oven gets much hotter than that. Here is a picture of some of the things that I use in my pressure cooker.

20171129_080724.thumb.jpg.f619b21a2c530d5033cbb8dda3ad22d5.jpg

I use the clear glass bowl the most because it has a Snap-On plastic lid for leftovers.

Here is a picture of the cheesecake that I make in mine.

20170903_154321(1).jpg.593b3b9f94c48728049584b9244968e9.jpg

• Like 2

So my oldest idiot brother has decided AFTER >:( Black Friday, that he would like the Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 for Christmas.

>sigh<

Now the waiting game...I hope that it will go on sale again on Amazon before then.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A3B364A1-C3BF-42A6-80AB-CFB0AFCC0038.thumb.jpeg.79221317fa989a67184192a5e7e69e63.jpeg

Eye of round and broccoli both done in the Instant Pot. 

A111C034-5D30-4A6C-9FD0-B293D84558A8.thumb.jpeg.fd7778ae81e2ab662d6ef76a3e330457.jpeg

Started out with this.

I took it out of its package, towelled it dry, salted it very generously and let it sit on the counter for about 1 1/2 hours.   I then followed @Mmmpomps directions of browning it on the sauté function, (I then  added the trivet to the pot and returned the roast so it would be sitting above the liquid) before adding half a cup of water and pressure cooking it on high for exactly 4 minutes. I then turned off the keep warm function on the Instant Pot and left the roast in there for an hour. 

After I removed the roast to a cutting board I added the broccoli on top of the trivet and pressure cooked on high for zero minutes with quick release. 

This is eye of round. It will never be tenderloin. If your expectations remain within the realm of reality it’s not a bad way to have some roast beef for a meal and lots leftover for sandwiches.

This remains a cut of beef that will disappoint more people than it pleases.  Even more so now that it is so pricey. 

Thanks, @Mmmpomps.   I am glad you shared it and I’m glad I tried it but I don’t see it appearing too often in my future. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

I noticed it was pricey

has beef gone up in price north of the boarder ?

have you tried EoR  SV  130.1 for  " quite some time ? "

Yes I have tried it sous vide. I’ve also tried it the CI Way.  It really doesn’t matter what you do with it. The bottom line is it’s a sows ear. You can make it edible but you could never turn it into a silk purse no matter what you do with it.  It has no fat hence no flavor. It has no collagen hence it’s not suitable for stew.  I still think the best thing to do with it for most of the time is to leave it on the meat counter and let someone else have it. xD   But, as they say, hope springs eternal.  It looks as if it should be good. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

This remains a cut of beef that will disappoint more people than it pleases.  Even more so now that it is so pricey. 

Anna, thanks for your review.    That is how I feel about Eye of Round.  Every time I have cooked an Eye of Round I'm always disappointed.    I want to like. But I don't.   Same can be said for 

flank steak.  Doesn't matter how perfectly it is cooked, I just don't care for it.  

• Like 2

the only thing SV adds to Round is making it rare and tender.

you have to add any flavor you are going to get out of the total ' experience '

Lettuce , ripe tomato , mayo , horseradish , bacon , avocado

freshly baked home made buns  etc

at this point Wisdom suggest skipping the Round altogether 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's too bad, @Anna N. It does look like it should be far more delicious than it actually is. I would really like to try @Mmmpomps method, but maybe with a sirloin roast??

@rotuts, beef up here in Canada (or at least Vancouver....) has gotten redonkulously $$$, even for blah cuts like eye and ground. DH & I are eating way less beef at home than we used to, maybe once a month at most for something nice like steak. 

I wonder how this method would hold up for a pork roast? I dislike grey, over cooked pork roast. Maybe an extra minute on the pressure??

• Like 1

@Beebs 

I love pork rare.

sliced thin

we all grew up

or are growing up now

with an illusion that you had to cook pork  high medium or more

or well you mighty ingest various parasites etc

but if you can get over that fear

pork rare is a delight.

loin . a dry fairly tough cut

SV  130.1 for the right amout of time

is tender , juicy and porky 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 6:45 AM, Anna N said:

Yes I have tried it sous vide. I’ve also tried it the CI Way.  It really doesn’t matter what you do with it. The bottom line is it’s a sows ear. You can make it edible but you could never turn it into a silk purse no matter what you do with it.  It has no fat hence no flavor. It has no collagen hence it’s not suitable for stew.  I still think the best thing to do with it for most of the time is to leave it on the meat counter and let someone else have it. xD   But, as they say, hope springs eternal.  It looks as if it should be good. 

Have you ever tried larding it?  I have used larding on a huge "Baron"  of beef, with practically zero fat in the bulk of the meat. I lard the pork loins and any venison, elk etc., which are notoriously lacking in fat.  

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 10.41.32 AM.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 2017-11-30 at 7:14 AM, lindag said:

I've never had any cut of the round that I thought was worth using; I find it tough and lacking in flavor.

I would second that perfect description.

Reminds me of the little cubes of mystery meat I had to evaluate while participating in a tasting panel for my professors who were research the attributes of off cuts of beef.

now that it’s been cooked, very, very thin slices maybe edible otherwise pooch would love it9_9

• Haha 1

This arrived today.  Sadly, my order for the glass lid was cancelled as they were out of stock and I was unable to order an extra ring because they were out.  But, I'm glad to have the ceramic pot.

20171204_135044.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

This arrived today.  Sadly, my order for the glass lid was cancelled as they were out of stock and I was unable to order an extra ring because they were out.  But, I'm glad to have the ceramic pot.

For the mini-pot!  Wow!  I've had the 6-quart on my wish list, but wasn't aware that they were making one yet for the 3-quart.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

33 minutes ago, Smithy said:

For the mini-pot!  Wow!  I've had the 6-quart on my wish list, but wasn't aware that they were making one yet for the 3-quart.

The non-stick liner is available on the Instant Pot Store website in the 3 and 6 quart sizes.

I have an order for the 3 qt glass lid with them as well that they have not canceled. 

Their sealing rings in the 2 pack are sold out for the 3 quart, but the single clear 3 quart is still available.

Shipping seems to be free for these items.....

I depends on if you are talking about the Canadian or the US Instant Pot store site.  On the Canadian site, they are out of the glass lids and the rings.  They do not show the two-pack rings at all.

Can someone please tell me the temperature inside the Instant Pot during yogurt incubation?  I'm not talking about the "BOIL" phase but the incubation step.  I ask because I have to make my next batch manually or go back to store-bought. I'm loathe to give up the yogurt culture so lovingly developed with the help of my IP. I know the manual method shouldn't be worrisome - people have done it for centuries - but I never succeeded in making yogurt until I got the Instant Pot.

(There's nothing wrong with the pot. I'm off the electrical grid at present and don't want to run the generator for hours.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Can someone please tell me the temperature inside the Instant Pot during yogurt incubation?  I'm not talking about the "BOIL" phase but the incubation step.  I ask because I have to make my next batch manually or go back to store-bought. I'm loathe to give up the yogurt culture so lovingly developed with the help of my IP. I know the manual method shouldn't be worrisome - people have done it for centuries - but I never succeeded in making yogurt until I got the Instant Pot.

(There's nothing wrong with the pot. I'm off the electrical grid at present and don't want to run the generator for hours.)

E6E82169-E2BA-4876-8ADA-2F4FE6BB72BA.thumb.jpeg.bb80992c5bcab8a0cf510781c7d626df.jpeg

This help? It is from the instant pot manual. 

My 2004 eG Blog