• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

As most of you know by now, I don't own an instant pot. I own a Chinese knockoff that came with directions that were indecipherable gobbledygook. While I was searching for some direction on the internet that would help me decide whether to even keep it, I came across eGullet. To begin with, I thought I had just purchased an electric pressure cooker. After reading everything that was written here, I realized that I had gotten a treasure. Everyone here has encouraged me, inspired me, and just, generally, put me in awe of all of the wonderful things that you were doing with them. No one, here, is ever going to convince me to go back to a regular electric pressure cooker much less a stovetop pressure cooker. First, I'm scared to death of them and second, I'm much too old to be carting around a heavy time bomb.

One thing that I have learned is the importance of pressure release. Now that I know the different effect that it has on the type of food being cooked I try to always use the method recommended for that food. To do this, I have done quite a bit of research. The link that Anna N gives is probably the most thorough and succinct of all the information that I have come across. It is well worth reading, both for safety information and how to achieve the very best results for whatever food you are cooking.

One interesting bit of information that I came across was what happens inside the stove top pressure cooker when you pour water on the lid. Due to the general physics of the whole thing, it boils. Read the fifth comment down by RebelWithoutAClue.

Thanks for the link.  I will consider this.  I would note that if there were boiling it should be audible.  Quick release will often explode the contents of the pressure cooker while cold water release will not.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks for the link.  I will consider this.  I would note that if there were boiling it should be audible.  Quick release will often explode the contents of the pressure cooker while cold water release will not.

I can't hear any boiling inside my IP, but I have no doubt it is happening. That's why I only use that feature when I know it is appropriate and when it won't cause any detriment to what I am cooking. It is a good safe feature on the IP and I'm glad I've got it.

• Like 1

3535902F-4DB9-4743-997B-D14439A8B86F.thumb.jpeg.c3834218d4fd29362afc88cee4951cca.jpeg

I had two bone-in pieces of pork in the freezer that I wanted to use up. One was a nice sized center cut loin chop and the other was a small piece of butt steak. I cooked them together in the Instant Pot. After browning each piece, one at a time, with the  sauté function, I added the onions and garlic and sautéed for just a minute, deglazed the pot with a little dry sherry, added the gravy (see PS below) and mushrooms and returned the pork to the pot. I cooked them on Manual at High Pressure for 8 minutes with 20 minutes Natural Release. Both cuts of meat were tender enough to cut with a fork. We each had a portion with our dinner tonight.

PS: The gravy was leftover from the freezer and the leftover gravy from tonight went back in!

Edited by robirdstx
Added PS (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This looks great. I've been hesitant about fixing pork chops in the IP because they can get so dry. You've given me courage.

I was a bit nervous myself and was afraid the time under pressure would not be long enough to make the meat tender, but it worked beautifully. As we were eating, I told my husband - I think I have a new way of cooking pork!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Only one that would tempt me is the stackable insert, and I have that. Although the carry bag is pretty cool.

What? You’re not intrigued by a red cake pan?xD

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a craving for pork belly noodle bowls but it was late in the day--like 4 p.m. and I hadn't even thawed the pork out yet.

Instant Pot to the rescue!  I used canned Pho broth from the Asian market....seasoned the belly up with some 5 spice seasoning and threw it in with some mushrooms for an hour on high pressure.  Natural release.  Perfect.

IMG_3861.JPG.878e17bf12e6c390acba7020b41f2d30.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG.9b6b56f0ef543f8bfcefb64508b92048.JPG

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

What? You’re not intrigued by a red cake pan?xD

I bake a Bundt cake about once a year. Might as well just use the oven.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

I bake a Bundt cake about once a year. Might as well just use the oven.

You missed the point. It’s red. Much speedier than any other colour. Just ask @rotutsxD

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post to this thread.   I finally bit the bullet and bought a PC.  After reading all of the reviews, I decided to go with the Breville Fast Slow Pro Multi-Cooker because I really like

all of the other Breville small appliances that I have.

59e8c76d08899_VealBlanquetteOctober18th2017.thumb.jpg.d558e744ca8740d26eb732530260c67e.jpg

The Breville arrived in the mail yesterday and I used it last night to make Veal Blanquette.   

And this morning I made lamb shanks. Greek Style.   

It is a learning process.  I learned that it would have been much quicker to sear the shanks in my cast iron skillet rather than in the PC. 

Once the lamb was cooked (50 minutes), I removed it from the pot and added two large whole russets and some green beans.

The vegetable setting was for 10 minutes at 7.5 which I think was about 2 minutes too long.  I will reduce the time when I do potatoes again.

59e8c762b0144_LambshanksinPressureCookerOctober19th20171.thumb.jpg.e4b1cd2df1efc342ab08aba2cc257b5c.jpg

Moe had the lamb for breakfast.  Not pretty, but flavour was wonderful.  

• Like 6

5B5B8315-4E94-4A44-BB67-4A11DD81F187.thumb.jpeg.297dc73061c11b37d4361a9d09b3cb37.jpeg

Pork Vindaloo and Potatoes. 1/2 large onion, diced, sautéed in pot with one tablespoon coconut oil. 1 lb. cubed pork tenderloin added when onion started to turn golden. Browned pork, then added one 350 g jar of Patak’s Vindaloo Simmering Sauce, 3/4 cup bone broth (I used beef because that is what I had on hand) and two large potatoes, cubed. Cooked on Manual, High Pressure for 6 minutes, Natural Release for 25 minutes. Served with Naan.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

5B5B8315-4E94-4A44-BB67-4A11DD81F187.thumb.jpeg.297dc73061c11b37d4361a9d09b3cb37.jpeg

Pork Vindaloo and Potatoes. 1/2 large onion, diced, sautéed in pot with one tablespoon coconut oil. 1 lb. cubed pork tenderloin added when onion started to turn golden. Browned pork, then added one 350 gr. jar of Patak’s Vindaloo Simmering Sauce, 3/4 cup bone broth (I used beef because that is what I had on hand) and two large potatoes, cubed. Cooked on Manual, High Pressure for 6 minutes, Natural Release for 25 minutes. Served with Naan.

That looks really good what is the spice (heat) level like?

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That looks really good what is the spice (heat) level like?

My first ever Vindaloo, so was not sure what to expect. A lot of flavor from the spice, a bit of a kick, but not nose dripping hot! We both really liked it.

because I mentioned it here some weeks back, I thought I'd follow up on the cracked handle on my new Instant Pot 

After a little back and forth with them via email, and exchange of pictures, they sent me a replacement lid which arrived today.

so it took about a month all in, but they were ultimately good about wanting to make good on it.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, robirdstx said:

My first ever Vindaloo, so was not sure what to expect. A lot of flavor from the spice, a bit of a kick, but not nose dripping hot! We both really liked it.

@robirdstx Thank you I'll have to try it.  I always have Patak's Mango Cooking Sauce and their Spicy Butter Chicken Cooking Sauce on hand.  You might like those as well.

So tonight I made a chicken pea Paneer 'curry' and it pointed out a recurring feeling, or issue, i am  having with IP cooking...

And that is, that flavour aside, I find the protein, whether pork or chicken or beef, seems to come out a little tough and borderline 'dry' for me. 

Anyone want to  suggest WHY, or what I might be doing 'wrong'?

9 minutes ago, weedy said:

So tonight I made a chicken pea Paneer 'curry' and it pointed out a recurring feeling, or issue, i am  having with IP cooking...

And that is, that flavour aside, I find the protein, whether pork or chicken or beef, seems to come out a little tough and borderline 'dry' for me. 

Anyone want to  suggest WHY, or what I might be doing 'wrong'?

First of all, I'd like to see the recipe and time that you did.

Right off of the bat...which, I'm sure you know....I never quick release any  meats.  Did you natural release?

If you natural released, then my next thought is that it's over cooked meaning cooked too long.

Chicken breast chunks in the sauce. 

I did 15 mins with natural release for another ten then released it quickly after that. 

That was what this recipe called for in terms of cooking times although I did my own curry sauce to cook in, not theirs. 

44 minutes ago, weedy said:

Chicken breast chunks in the sauce. 

I did 15 mins with natural release for another ten then released it quickly after that. 

That was what this recipe called for in terms of cooking times although I did my own curry sauce to cook in, not theirs. 

Hmmm...well that doesn't seem like too long of a cook at all and with the natural release....I'm stumped as to why the meat would be dry.

interestingly, advice on he internets is all over the place...

some say the prob is cooking too long, some say too short.

some say natural release, some say instant (in fact the IP's own app recipe for curry chicken says instant release)

some say too much liquid, some say not enough.

I'm clearly not the only one finding things come out tough... but the answer seems elusive.

Edited by weedy (log)